• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Los Angeles/ Orange County Gunsmith To Mount Scope

Charlie Foxtrot

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Latest in a series of dumb questions:

Can you recommend a good gunsmith in the Los Angeles/ Orange County Cali area to adjust, fit, and mount a scope to a rifle?

This is my first precision rifle build. I just want a pro to keep me from doing something dumb. A precision shooting friend HIGHLY recommends I find a pro out here - but he's in Virginia and can't help with a recommendation.

Thank in advance. BTW, the board has been <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> helpful.

Re: Los angeles Orange County Gunsmith To Mount Scope

Neal; We're in northeast Long Beach.

Daniel's Gunsmithing looks to be a fair pitch from me - and I'd have to cross the wilds of LA. Of course, if they're that good...

Orange County, Riverside, and even San Berdo are better for me.

I usually patronize Bolsa Gunsmithing in Orange County for general work, but I'm not sure about their experience with precision rifles. As a complete gnuoob, I'd like to get the best start I can.

Thanx

What do you mean by adjust, fit, and mount? Like... find out where you like it and screw in some bolts?

I don't know about others here on the forum but I always have mounted my own scopes. The only time I had a gunsmith mount a scope for me, he forgot to torque the rings and it came loose in quick order. Not that difficult of a deal and good to know for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about others here on the forum but I always have mounted my own scopes. The only time I had a gunsmith mount a scope for me, he forgot to torque the rings and it came loose in quick order. Not that difficult of a deal and good to know for yourself. </div></div>

That's what I was getting at. If you plan on making this a hobby you need to do it yourself and know how to do it in the future. It's very, very simple to do and the only special tool it requires is a torque wrench (a tool you need to have on hand for these rifles anyway).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about others here on the forum but I always have mounted my own scopes. The only time I had a gunsmith mount a scope for me, he forgot to torque the rings and it came loose in quick order. Not that difficult of a deal and good to know for yourself. </div></div>

That's what I was getting at. If you plan on making this a hobby you need to do it yourself and know how to do it in the future. It's very, very simple to do and the only special tool it requires is a torque driver in in/lbs (a tool you need to have on hand for these rifles anyway).

I agree with the above statement, it's almost a necessary skill to know how to mount a scope on a rifle if you're into anything that involves shooting guns. But if you want a good gunsmith, Bain and Davis gun shop does good gunsmithing and can mount your scope, check out their website.

Hey Charlie, I'm fairly new to the bolt action game too but this is an easy install that you should try yourself. Go to Home Depot or some hardware shop and get some small cheap levels, some BLUE Loctite (NOT RED)and invest in a torque driver with pounds per inch (you will need this for a lot of other stuff). You can do this yourself rather than paying a smith to do a fairly easy install.

Agree with everything you guys are saying, but...

I've mounted a couple of scopes. In fact I've mounted them several times because I didn't get things exactly right the first time.

My buddy in Virginia, a precision shooting competitor of some note, spent a lot of electrons convincing me that the long range shooting game requirement's are so exacting that I should get a pro to assist with the first time setup. Makes sense to me: eliminate whole classes of potential problems immediately. If the equipment is most likely functioning correctly, the problem is almost certainly to be the nut behind the trigger. He related his experience starting out with a self build, and the much happier results of a NooB using a pro to correctly the mount and tune the scope.

Additionally, living in the aptly named LA Basin, I'm a long way from a true rifle range. I can't afford the time or ammunition to keep chasing a problem. I'll spend the money - and have the pro teach me at the same time.

Thanks for all the input.

You got a invite for US optics. Just about the best in the scope buisness if they offer help take them up on ASAP.
It doesn't get better then that.

I would think someone in your area will step up and help ya. If you were close to me I would show ya how.

Eddie

Yeah, if you get someone to set your scope up correct the first time at least get them to show you how so it's only a one time deal for you. The first time I mounted a scope on my first precision rifle it took me quite a long time to get it correct. After that it has become second nature and fairly quick to do.

I just spent several minutes happily perusing the US Optical website.

I'll give USO a call. Thanks John III!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie Foxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Additionally, living in the aptly named LA Basin, I'm a long way from a true rifle range. </div></div>

http://www.angelesranges.com/ steel targets out to 600yds
http://www.desertmarksmen.org/ out to 1000yds

oh yeah, and +1 for USO

Dave; know Angeles well, or at least used to. Desert Marksmen in Lancaster looks like it merits a trip. My primary range will likely be Apple Valley Gun Club: 315 yards.

Thanks!

Re: Los Angeles/ Orange County Gunsmith To Mount Scope

Head out to US Optics and not only have them mount it but pay close attention to how they do it and ask all the questions you want. Learn how to do it yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring it by U.S. Optics, we can mount it for ya.
John III </div></div>

CF, you have the OWNER of on optics company willing to mount your scope, make the drive to Brea. Its worth the drive just to look at the facility amd meet those guys! Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bring it by U.S. Optics, we can mount it for ya.
John III </div></div>

CF, you have the OWNER of on optics company willing to mount your scope, make the drive to Brea. Its worth the drive just to look at the facility amd meet those guys! Mark </div></div>

Yes! Do it! I used to work in a building 2 block from USO (Carrier Corp) before I was into shooting sports. Now that I'm in AZ corp office, I'm dying to find an excuse to do a site visit to Brea...

I have used Bolsa Gunsmithing in the past and Jason is a good guy. I have always mounted my own scopes though.

Another place to shoot is Burro Canyon. Their general rifle range is to 200 yards. However, they have a 500 yard rifle range and you can set targets up past 300 yards. This will allow you some practice on distance shooting, just put a target out there without a know distance and practice using your reticle to get you distance. Also, the 500 yard range will help with practicing reading wind. The wind come up the side of the hill one your right for 500 yards and swirls around so that the wind is in the other direction at 300 yards.

Angeles is okay, but gets crowded and there are some crazy people there; not all, but some. If you go to Burro Canyon you'll be the only one on the 500 yard range as no one else shoots that far. That was one thing I like about Burro Canyon I could be on a range all by myself. I always went on fridays and would never shoot on a weekend; too crowded. Good luck.

Spent an enjoyable hour with John at US Optics as he mounted my scope. He's an engaging gentleman with a VERY impressive factory. Now to get it to the range and start working it up.

My thanks to all on this forum, especially John, for helping this noob's first stumbling steps.

Thats awesome.
wink.gif

US Optics service

I bet he got to meet Becky too! :eek: USO wants the job done right. I took my SN-3 in thinking there was a problem with it. They wanted t fix it while I waited! As it turns out there was nothing wrong with the scope... Just a loose nut behind the rifle... But they gave me some free goodies while I was there. I tell you what, I am pleased for a change to live in the same state as something! Go ahead and buy that German scope. I think mine is better. It's made right here 20 minutes away from where I live. That's almost in range! And it came back to me in les than five minutes cleaned and centered. I am sure I will never wear it out or break it, that's for sure.

US Optics, gave you an offer, so would take them up on it. Still you need to know how to mount, level and zero your scope. You also need to know canted mounts and other factors that are needed for the type of shooting you plan. If you are too afraid to learn the basics, you might as well give your rifle to someone else and go out and watch them shoot. You need to find other local shooters in your area to shoot with. There are many other valuable tips you're going to need to learn for precision shooting. Almost any information can be found here on the Hide or other Internet sites, if you just spend the time reading and asking questions. Everyone very helpful here and at most ranges. We all had to start somewhere. By the way, what rifle and scope ate you going to be using?