• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Loss of Love for Leupold. What Next?

Shootinleftyflip

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman, MT
Long of the short, my VX6 HD took a shit at the moment of truth and I missed a 370" bull. Looking for something that can track, and handle the minor bumps of a mountain hunting rifle( I don't expect any scope to get tomahawked and hold zero) and maintain zero. Would prefer to keep it under 28 oz... I know its nothing special and the glass in the VX6HD is much better but my 6-24 gen1 one PST has never failed me in 7 years of hard mountain hunting and its had its fair share of accidental spills(like falling down the mountain with it strapped to my pack) and never shifted more than an inch off zero after even the biggest mishap on the mountain. So basically looking for the reliability and weight I've experienced with that scope but looking to upgrade to better glass and turrets while not being heavy. I've looked at the Zeiss v4&v6 The Mark 5, NX8 and a few others. I want at least 18 if not more 20-25 on the top end. What lighter scopes have you guys had good luck with and recommend? I'll give up a little in glass for durability but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Been using leupolds hard for 40years never had a problem even with the old ones. Sorry to hear you had a problem. Is it 100% confirmed your miss was the result of a scope failure?

Reactions: SEII
Failure to hold zero. Two in the upper right are where it was at hundred yards with the scope set at zero stops. after I missed that bull. Third shot is center high after I adjusted back before moving back to confirm 200 zero. Ran around the mountain for roughly a week, with it on my pack carrying it in my hand and busting brush. The only so called “mishap” it had was it fell off my shooting sticks and landed on my upper shin/knee pad while sitting glassing. Hardly what I would consider a mishap but maybe that constitutes a hard fall in your guys eyes 🤷🏽‍♀️but definitely not mine.

Attachments

• 0B8CF3F6-41A5-409B-B2D6-DF357E7CAC1D.jpeg
    0B8CF3F6-41A5-409B-B2D6-DF357E7CAC1D.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Sad
Reactions: beretta_man11
Failure to hold zero. Two in the upper right are where it was at hundred yards with the scope set at zero stops. after I missed that bull. Third shot is center high after I adjusted back before moving back to confirm 200 zero. Ran around the mountain for roughly a week, with it on my pack carrying it in my hand and busting brush. The only so called “mishap” it had was it fell off my shooting sticks and landed on my upper shin/knee pad while sitting glassing. Hardly what I would consider a mishap but maybe that constitutes a hard fall in your guys eyes 🤷🏽‍♀️but definitely not mine.
Damn that is way freakin off! I have an AR Mod 6-18 on my 280 Ackley and it has been a slayer. What are you running for rings and base? Did you check all your rings, bases, action screws torques ?

Just like every other high end scope spoke about on the hide your vx6 has a lifetime warranty so send it in and have it fixed. There’s nothing wrong with that model in general so if yours has a problem I’m sure once leupold has you fixed up you could use with confidence. If confidence is all lost there’s some other options that are great for you that the sale of the vx6 once fixed would pretty much pay for. Good luck hope you get it all sorted out.

My VX3 took a shit on my elk hunt too. Luckily I caught it when we got to New Mexico and I had a spare scope. I sent it in to Leupold and they had to replace both turrets because they would not travel

May I ask in what specific way it shit the bed?

And I'm sorry it cost you a big bull........that's got to be massively aggravating.
It was I was extremely heartbroken. He was everything I wanted and more. I spent several days trying to relocate him to no avail. I can’t complain too much though as I harvested this old guy instead. He was around 10 years old. His teeth were pretty shot. He maybe had a year left. I set pretty high standards for myself and have been very fortunate in my life to have 4 bulls in the 312-350” range but I have yet to harvest a bull that breaks the elusive 360” mark.

Attachments

• 541D6F4E-CA8E-4FDE-8A34-0D57663A6D41.jpeg
    541D6F4E-CA8E-4FDE-8A34-0D57663A6D41.jpeg
    526.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 69FD1027-C250-4FAF-A9F5-C54A552D1E39.jpeg
    69FD1027-C250-4FAF-A9F5-C54A552D1E39.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 300
Long of the short, my VX6 HD took a shit at the moment of truth and I missed a 370" bull. Looking for something that can track, and handle the minor bumps of a mountain hunting rifle( I don't expect any scope to get tomahawked and hold zero) and maintain zero. Would prefer to keep it under 28 oz... I know its nothing special and the glass in the VX6HD is much better but my 6-24 gen1 one PST has never failed me in 7 years of hard mountain hunting and its had its fair share of accidental spills(like falling down the mountain with it strapped to my pack) and never shifted more than an inch off zero after even the biggest mishap on the mountain. So basically looking for the reliability and weight I've experienced with that scope but looking to upgrade to better glass and turrets while not being heavy. I've looked at the Zeiss v4&v6 The Mark 5, NX8 and a few others. I want at least 18 if not more 20-25 on the top end. What lighter scopes have you guys had good luck with and recommend? I'll give up a little in glass for durability but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.

You played the odds and lost on the Leupold and won on the PST I. I would expect the PST 1 to fail before the Leupold. They are terrible designs, I saw 2 of 5 fail personally.

The 3.6 - 18 MK5 has run great on mine on my pack and getting drug around. It has a much better reputation than rhe other Leupold offerings. Its the only Leupold one that I would run.

Sorry about the missed opportunity.

If you want a bombproof scope, its a NF. The NX8 is in FFP and SFP. The 5-20 SHV is a solid choice.

Reactions: locotrician
Just like every other high end scope spoke about on the hide your vx6 has a lifetime warranty so send it in and have it fixed. There’s nothing wrong with that model in general so if yours has a problem I’m sure once leupold has you fixed up you could use with confidence. If confidence is all lost there’s some other options that are great for you that the sale of the vx6 once fixed would pretty much pay for. Good luck hope you get it all sorted out.
Confidence is definitely lacking. All my friends said I’d be fine with a VX-6HD yet here we are... Apparently I guess I should have ran it through the ringer and will probably have to when I get it back if I decide to keep it. No one buys a scope with the thought oh if it fails on my hunt atleast I’ve got a good warranty. Not saying it won’t come back fixed and be just fine. Leupolds’s CS is great, no complaints there, however there’s been a fair amount of instances things have needed to be sent in with the 5&6s. An they don’t always get it fixed the first go round at times... I do really think that Leupold is trying to up there game. However Im just not sure I buy into the fact that their products are as tough as they may claim. Would love to get it back and have it perform flawless an me be made a fool but it’s kinda a bummer to have to punish it a little when it gets back to make sure it will perform vs some of the other brands after returning from warranty. I broke a NF once. They were great and when my scope came back I knew it would perform. I feel that Leupold lacks attention to detail which bothers/worries me, especially seen as I’m in manufacturing as well an if I didn’t have attention to detail and care about my quality of machine work, I wouldn’t have a job and the machine shop I work at wouldn’t have clients. Not saying Leupold is a bad company. But I’m pretty bummed their product didn’t perform for me.

All good companies still have problems with a few. That’s why we cherish good cs and warranties. None of us can name a single brand that hasn’t failed. There’s an absurd number of leupolds out there that are problem free. Same story with any top brand I suppose. Fix whatever failed and get back after the bulls you’ll be golden.

You played the odds and lost on the Leupold and won on the PST I. I would expect the PST 1 to fail before the Leupold. They are terrible designs, I saw 2 of 5 fail personally.

The 3.6 - 18 MK5 has run great on mine on my pack and getting drug around. It has a much better reputation than rhe other Leupold offerings. Its the only Leupold one that I would run.

Sorry about the missed opportunity.

If you want a bombproof scope, its a NF. The NX8 is in FFP and SFP. The 5-20 SHV is a solid choice.
I’m not disagreeing. I’m honestly surprised my PST has taken the abuse. I bought it when they first came out. I have not been mean to it per say. But it’s had a lot of falls in its life and is going strong. I almost got rid of it a couple years ago as I wanted something with better glass and turrets but given its track record I kinda am emotionally attached now. It lives on my backup tikka 300wsm. I like the idea of the NX8 but the short tube design But I’m not sure will work with Hawkins hybrids on a short action. The 3.6-18 definitely has my interest peaked. Pm me as I have some questions. The SHV 56mm objective is the killer for me. Wish they had a 50 offering in the 5-25.

My first PST didnt track out of the box, I had to send it back to Vortex. Can happen with any scope. Sorry about the miss on the 370" bull, that would probably end my relationship with a scope manufacturer as well, even though its obviously circumstantial.

For FFP scopes I’d look at these two for hunting, reliability with tracking and great glass.
Vortex 6-25x50. Great reticle, illuminated, gathers damn good light, American made Cept for the German reticle. Mine never failed me. You can find one here in the px for 1800 ish normally.
If you want better, Tangent Theta 3-15M. Best glass you can get. It’s in the 27 oz range. Used one in the Px right now for 3250. I’ve seen them go lower in the px though.
For Less money, the Bushnell LRTSI 4.5-18 and 3-12. Are great choices. Best scopes under 1k IMHO. Great for hunting and target and both make your weight requirements. And they are known to be reliable with tracking. Sorry bout the bull.

Last edited:
I had a couple VX6 and VX6HD scopes. I have a vx5hd right now that I am working on building trust, but I suspect it'll go down the road eventually as well. I have a NX8 2.5-20 and I am contemplating adding another for my backup rifle. I have no gripes with the NX8 as I understand the draw backs and how they apply as a hunting scope. I had no problem hunting thick timber to rolling hills covered in sage. Last year I tagged an elk and a few deer with my NX8

I would warranty the scope and sell it. You will never feel confident with that same scope on a hunt. Nightforce ATACR 4-16 seems like a good candidate, a little low on max power than you want though.

Last edited:
Reactions: agarrettjr
That's rough, and super heartbreaking on the bull! Glad you still made out okay though. It makes me a little nervous, I've got that same scope on order through their VIP program that I was gonna use for back-country hunting. I've primarily used Vortex for work and play, and have had no complaints with their Razor line. I've heard amazing things for years about Leupold's glass in their high-end scopes, which is why I went with the VX6-HD. I hope to not have the same experience as you...Good luck next year getting that 360"!

Don’t worry it will be fine. My third year in a row beating on this vx6 and it hasn’t skipped a beat.

Attachments

• 8B53C999-2965-4BBC-A58E-6CB7ACA59CAA.jpeg
    8B53C999-2965-4BBC-A58E-6CB7ACA59CAA.jpeg
    840 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: SEII and farmercop
For FFP scopes I’d look at these two for hunting, reliability with tracking and great glass.
Vortex 6-25x50. Great reticle, illuminated, gathers damn good light, American made Cept for the German reticle. Mine never failed me. You can find one here in the px for 1800 ish normally.
If you want better, Tangent Theta 3-15M. Best glass you can get. It’s in the 27 oz range. Used one in the Px right now for 3250. I’ve seen them go lower in the px though.
For Less money, the Bushnell LRTSI 4.5-18 and 3-12. Are great choices. Best scopes under 1k IMHO. Great for hunting and target and both make your weight requirements. And they are known to be reliable with tracking. Sorry bout the bull.
^^^ This, since you already like the Vortex scopes, the AMG is worlds above PST. Meets all your criteria and has a history of being Rick solid. That being said, any scope can have an issue, TT’s NF, doesn’t matter, they all can die when you need them the most.

I would warranty the scope and sell it. You will never feel confident with that same scope on a hunt. Nightforce ATACR 4-16 seems like a good candidate, a little low on max power than you want though.
Supposedly theres word on the street that a 4-20 Atacr is coming out. An I agree, the scope may come back 100% it’s just a huge mental hurdle so I’ll probably sell it.

Reactions: agarrettjr
^^^ This, since you already like the Vortex scopes, the AMG is worlds above PST. Meets all your criteria and has a history of being Rick solid. That being said, any scope can have an issue, TT’s NF, doesn’t matter, they all can die when you need them the most.
I will look into AMG. I had looked into it at the time when I was looking at the VX6HD bug wanted something with a little less low end. I will consider it again this next go round though.

Get a used ATACR or the 4-20x50 that could be coming out.

I will look into AMG. I had looked into it at the time when I was looking at the VX6HD bug wanted something with a little less low end. I will consider it again this next go round though.
Get a used ATACR or the 4-20x50 that could be coming out.
The rumors of a 4-20 have my interest incredibly peaked right now. Hopefully if it’s true they have a 50 mm option. Don’t want to deal with a 56 on a hunting rig.

Reactions: Stoweit and Bangin
The rumors of a 4-20 have my interest incredibly peaked right now. Hopefully if it’s true they have a 50 mm option. Don’t want to deal with a 56 on a hunting rig.
If it isn't 50, there is still the 4-16s in 42mm or 50mm that go for good prices used.

Im going to roll with a vx5hd trying to get one this week 4-20x52. Leupold hasn’t failed me yet. If weight wasn’t on my mind NF would be it for sure. My nxs is an amazing scope best scope ive owned also the most ive had to pay for a scope. Khales seems to be the golden ticket if you got the money also s&b.
Sorry to hear about the vx6 on a nice bull that would make me want to change my mind too. Hopefully the vx5 doesnt fail me.

Heart breaker on your bull. I left Leupold recently after they sent me to Kenton Industries to get taken for a carnival ride on a calibrated turret knob. Never again. It's sad when what used to be the industry leader becomes a busker. My latest are EOtech and Vortex.

I am not a fan of leupold. However, I have hunted all over the world. I have a few questions. How far did you travel to this hunt? Did you ship or fly with your gun? Did you check zero and make sure the scope was properly sighted in in the weeks before the hunt? If not, when was the last time you checked the zero on the gun/scope/bullet combo? Did you check the zero upon arrival to your hunting designation--if you flew? At what distance was the bull when you shot? Did you take a second shot? Was there any brush between you and the Bull? Was anyone with you when you missed, who was able to call your shot? How was your rifle cased during travel?

I have seen some strange things happen to hunting rifle/scopes that have adversely affected hunts, hence my reasons for asking.

Cheers, Steve

I am not a fan of leupold. However, I have hunted all over the world. I have a few questions. How far did you travel to this hunt? Did you ship or fly with your gun? Did you check zero and make sure the scope was properly sighted in in the weeks before the hunt? If not, when was the last time you checked the zero on the gun/scope/bullet combo? Did you check the zero upon arrival to your hunting designation--if you flew? At what distance was the bull when you shot? Did you take a second shot? Was there any brush between you and the Bull? Was anyone with you when you missed, who was able to call your shot? How was your rifle cased during travel?

I have seen some strange things happen to hunting rifle/scopes that have adversely affected hunts, hence my reasons for asking.

Cheers, Steve
Traveled 200 miles in a super nice padded case in my backseat. Gun zero was confirmed 2 days before I left and stored in the case. 405 yard shot uphill off sticks and a pack. Bull was in a 30 ft clearing on a 37 degree slope. No spotter(they had to go to work that night) shots were taken 3 min before legal light ended. Due to fading light and muzzle flash I was not able to spot it myself but due to no hit report back I figured the First shot was clean miss. He had no clue in the world where I was, as I was hiding next to a small Boulder. In the next 60 seconds I reevaluated the best I could, Figuring I may have shot over I held slighty under. 2nd shot sound like a hit. As there was a solid whack report back. However after the second shot the light was too far gone and I was alone in bear country, I backed out. It wasn’t until the next morning that 4 other individuals an antler dog and 4 hours of searching and me stumbling upon a big rock that had a bullet strike in it way above where the bull was standing, that we agreed that the “hit” sound from the 2nd shot was indeed a miss. I left my main rifle at camp that morning and brought my spare as it was substantially lighter. Upon arrival back from the morning search/hunt. My rifle was checked and the posted target was a result. Ran a mini tracking test and the rifle failed in RTZ L to R not majorly but enough I didn’t trust to take it out again. The loss of zero is perplexing and the drastic change in elevation upon loss of zero even more so. Rifle was well cared for during the hunt. I am accident prone so I’d love to say it was something I did, but literally nothing comes to mind as I would remember it.... I dropped my old 300 win with a Nightforce NXS, scope first off a 5 ft cliff once.... I remember that vividly to this day, I cried. That same NXS I literally twisted the elevation turret right off dialing out to 1850 yards... I cried that day too. Moral of the story is I remember when I do bad things to my equipment.😂 Trust me with as much grief as I’ve gotten from people on other forums on this topic I wish it was my fault. I have had my fair share of fuck ups that messed up my scopes, but for once it wasn’t me. Literally like everything about the scope but having a hard time putting faith in it once it comes back from Leupold.

I hate to hear you missed your good bull, sucks... For alternative scopes, the nx8 4-32 is a great scope. It just replaced my longstanding Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44, which was as good of a scope as you could ask for as far as I'm concerned, I just wanted a little more umph on the top end. I see where GA Precision is helping with the revamping the LRHSi line to now include ED prime glass. It may be worth looking into.

Make a spectacle of your incompetence as a hunter and blame a quality scope manufacture. Sign of the times I guess . I like leupold and love their warranty

Leupold = junk

If I were you I would go with nightforce. They are tough and have equal to better glass than Leupold.

Considering the OP's account of dropping NF's off 5ft cliffs, and ripping their turrets off just dialing, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think this might be more user induced than Luepold QA/QC. While the mishap in question should not of been to knock the zero off that much, who is to say that the rifle did not some how get launched out of a second story window the before hand.

Best advice I could give is send the optic to have it repaired, sell the optic and use that money to maybe get something like a S&B PMII, its going to be heavier, but should fair better to rough handling.

Make a spectacle of your incompetence as a hunter and blame a quality scope manufacture. Sign of the times I guess . I like leupold and love their warranty
Have you not seen the multitude of threads addressing tracking issues with Leupold? Sign of the times I guess..

Reactions: matchbook454
Considering the OP's account of dropping NF's off 5ft cliffs, and ripping their turrets off just dialing, I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think this might be more user induced than Luepold QA/QC. While the mishap in question should not of been to knock the zero off that much, who is to say that the rifle did not some how get launched out of a second story window the before hand.

Best advice I could give is send the optic to have it repaired, sell the optic and use that money to maybe get something like a S&B PMII, its going to be heavier, but should fair better to rough handling.
Maybe stick to iron sights :LOL:

Me getting a brand new scope (VX5HD) with the reticle canted and a complete and utter inability to hold zero or track correctly, makes a spectacle of leupolds ability to build a half way decent optic. Before you say it was just one, the VX3i and vx2cds went down too. Both had a complete and utter inability to track or hold zero, and then the power ring on the vx3i just stopped working.

Last edited:

Apparently you didn’t read the first posts in the threads. This go round it wasn’t my fault if it was as stated I would have owned up to it. The point of that post was clarify that if I did something wrong I’d remember and would have owned up to it. I was trying to lighten the mood. We have accidents and most of those accidents were when I was a teenager. I’ve learned a lot since then. That nightforce that fell while I was mule deer hunting didn’t break. Poi shift 2 in right but it didn’t break... Anyways go ahead a speculate I guess if you want. I have nothing to hide. I don’t have some testosterone fueled ego to uphold because, I’m a girl, so she there buddy , but thanks anyways.
Have a good day and when in doubt go ahead and speculate.

Reactions: Baron23
Once the threads get past five post most skip right over. I clearly didn’t miss those photos! Thought man is this chick single? They all break plain and simple. So do the S&B they all break especially when getting used hard. Op will get something that makes her feel confident and be jamming next go around.

Once the threads get past five post most skip right over. I clearly didn’t miss those photos! Thought man is this chick single? They all break plain and simple. So do the S&B they all break especially when getting used hard. Op will get something that makes her feel confident and be jamming next go around.
For sure. An not single sorry 😂They definitely all can break. Just bummed that it didn’t prove as reliable I had hoped, bad luck I guess. I know Leupold will make it right. They have a great CS track record. Just a mental thing at this point even if the scope comes back 100% Gtg. I rolled the dice and lost it happens to us all. But in the end it doesn’t matter you know because apparently some think I’m an incompetent hunter because they assume things and can’t read. I guess incompetent hunters have 4 nice bulls in there living room and kill their elk every year from 80-700 yards. Would scare me to see what a competent hunter can do 😜. Thanks for being chill an asking good questions and giving good advice!