• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lost *Found* benelli M4

smgrendel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
WY
Not to long ago i sold a Benelli M4. The FFL that mailed the benelli mailed it to the correct address in OH but somehow the package went to a residential address in NY.
The FFL has showed me a copy of there recipt showing the correct address and zip it was originally going to. The Benelli cannot be found now and the post office says they are investigating it. I have returned the funds to the person that bought the shotgun. Im not sure what i should do on my end if anything with law enforcement or anything else. of course the post office is dragging there feet and pretty much useless.

Thanks for the help,
Shawn.

Re: Lost benelli M4

That's a pretty big mess up by the USPS & hard to believe it's just a mistake. Mistakes are post cards from your aunt getting misdirected. Firearms being delivered to residential addresses several states away are NOT mistakes. Get the ATF involved as they tend to take this sort of thing serious. I bet things get taken care of in short order then. As much as I hate the agency you might as well take advantage of it if put into a position where you can.

I feel your pain......I`m going thru the same thing with a lost postal m.o.

to get it ivestigated...USPS charges $5.40 for a sheet much like an income tax sheet you fill out and then they pursue....
I`m not looking for any news for at least 6 weeks....
bill larson

Well im going on Three weeks now and dont see them doing anything anytime soon.

I havent thought of getting the ATF involved. Good advice thank you.

+1 on ATF.
Seems to me the post office's first priority here is to cover their ass, and as someone else pointed out you might just be better served in this instance by going over their head on this one.

What address in NY did they send it to? I would also seriously cosider reporting it stolen; that way you can get it entered into the NCIC system. If any law enforcement official runs the serial number it will show up as stolen and you stand a better chance to recover it.

Only thing is says under location is "ENDICOTT, NY 13760" When reporting it stolen should i go through local LE or try and contact someone in NY?

Man losing that much money and someone telling you that it was delivered is bogus. I've never had that happen, but if I were you I'd get things figured out and make sure everything is the right way even if I have to get authorities involved.

BATF-Federal Interstate Firearm matter. ASAP.

N.Y. State Police also.
They may be able to enter it into their system as stolen if you file a report.
If it shows up in a crime scene there, or in some ones possession, they can seize it.
Otherwise, they won't know that it is stolen, if it shows up, and will allow possessor to continue on his merry way.

IMHO, I would speculate that this is not a simple misdirection but an inside job at the USPS complete with paperwork to cover their trail.

Try this link for the Postal Inspector:
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/filecomplaint.aspx

I would also just try your local authorities and explain the situation to them and that you really want to get that shotgun entered into the NCIC system. Be persistent but respectful to them.

I don't think you will have much luck in NY, but you could try to contact a supervisor at the post office.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackstone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BATF-Federal Interstate Firearm matter. ASAP.

N.Y. State Police also.
They may be able to enter it into their system as stolen if you file a report.
If it shows up in a crime scene there, or in some ones possession, they can seize it.
Otherwise, they won't know that it is stolen, if it shows up, and will allow possessor to continue on his merry way.

IMHO, I would speculate that this is not a simple misdirection but an inside job at the USPS complete with paperwork to cover their trail. </div></div>

All the above,..the lastthing you need is this shotgun in the wrong hands/causing a death because no one took interest in your case.

Shame on each and every individual in USPS thats handling this so slowly!

The NCIC is the National Crime Information Center is a data base run by the FBI. All LE agencies have access to it. Once an item is entered as stolen it will show up as such when any LE officer anywhere in the country accesses it.

Thanks for all the info everyone. One of the reasons i love this site.

I sent you a PM. I am from the Endicott area and have some contacts at Endicott PD.

Post office called today. They said that they have the benelli in Atlanta. They couldn't explain how it got there, when it got there or why it is there but they are sending it home now.

Thanks again for all the advice. Ill update when it actually gets here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow......just wow
</div></div>

My thoughts exactly... that is crazy.

From Texas to NY and on to GA. Sounds like one huge screw up that just defies logic. If that gun could talk about its journey.
I'm calling conspiracy on this one. :)

I shipped some fishing reels to Minnesota from Alaska and they were "lost" in Lexington, KY. How or why they went to Kentucky is way over my head. I way over insure everything now.

Sounds like a passaround by some mailmen. Wonder what the statistics on mailman-biting-yard-dog deaths are for the last few weeks?
smile.gif

Before you found it I was going to say that you can not sue the Post Office. However you could sue if the sender was an independent post mailer for UPS, USPS, etc. Then you can just let them collect from the postal service.

The well traveled M4 will be up for sale again after it gets home and i get to check it out.

well im interested already so let me know thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smgrendel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The well traveled M4 will be up for sale again after it gets home and i get to check it out. </div></div>

Are the 2011 M4 US Tour t-shirts on sale yet?

Atlanta is where they send mail that they have issues delivering , lost , etc.. I had some mail get lost once, and same thing, ends up in Atlanta. That is where they sort and go through it at the mail recovery center , kind of like the island of misfit toys. Glad they found it, because if they couldn't find you , they will auction it!

UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
AuctionZip Auctioneer ID # 2377
Mail Recovery Center
5345 Fulton Industrial Boulevard SW
Atlanta, GA 30378
Phone: 1-800-275-8777
Email:
Web: www.usps.com/auctions

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) auctions a wide variety of items that have been lost in the mail, are unclaimed, or on which an insurance claim has been paid. Sales of this merchandise are referred to as mail recovery auctions, although letters are not among the items offered for sale. The merchandise may include clocks, televisions, radios, tape recorders, jewelry, VCRs, and clothing. The USPS also has sales programs that sell excess postal vehicles, computers, workroom and office furniture, and electronic and hardware items for mail handling equipment.

Shit, whoever buys this rifle will either get a shit ton of luck or maybe even a curse! LOL

Either way, I'd buy it if I could afford it. What a story to tell when showing it off!