• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lost MONSTER buck tonight... DOH!

error4o4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
NE KS, USA
Weird. Everyone on the internet seems to assume they're perfect. I'm relatively new to rifle, and made a mistake. It's called learning. Deal with it.

Re: Lost MONSTER buck tonight... DOH!

You mean you shot at an animal, with untested loads that were not zeroed in your rifle? I dont mean to be an ass but that is just plain stupid!

Obviously not the best choice (shooting without confirming zero), but I did run the numbers and the difference in these two rounds is .4MOA @ 100 yards and .2MOA @ 65 yards.

"Judge not..."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously not the best choice (shooting without confirming zero), but I did run the numbers and the difference in these two rounds is .4MOA @ 100 yards and .2MOA @ 65 yards.

"Judge not..."</div></div>

That's not how it works, but you should still hit within a couple inches of your aiming point at 65 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously not the best choice (shooting without confirming zero), but I did run the numbers and the difference in these two rounds is .4MOA @ 100 yards and .2MOA @ 65 yards.

"Judge not..."</div></div>

I'll judge...All ammo shoots different, that's why we handload for precision. I've seen one brand of ammo not hit a sheet of 8.5x11" paper at 100 yards after another brand was right on. Both were 180 grain hunting loads, one Federal, one Remington. I don't care where the computer told you it should have hit.

Where's BOLTRIPPER when I need him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weird. Everyone on the internet seems to assume they're perfect. I'm relatively new to rifle, and made a mistake. It's called learning. Deal with it. </div></div>
Some of us learned before making the mistake so we could prevent a mistake from happening in the first place. I have never lost an animal everything I have shot went right down. I also make damn sure I am ready to be hunting. I think you and Sarah Palin have something in common.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sootstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Palin's a hide member ^^^^^

sorry couldn't help it

lesson learned hope you get the next one </div></div>

Hahaha, nice. I cycle my own bolt though. Apparently Aaron Sorkin is on the 'hide as well. :)

Thanks for not being a jackass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sootstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Palin's a hide member ^^^^^

sorry couldn't help it

lesson learned hope you get the next one </div></div>

Hahaha, nice. I cycle my own bolt though. Apparently Aaron Sorkin is on the 'hide as well. :)

Thanks for not being a jackass. </div></div>
Ok that was funny I'll admit. I wish I had her book sales then maybe I could find someone to cycle my bolt for me. Sorry you lost the buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weird. Everyone on the internet seems to assume they're perfect. I'm relatively new to rifle, and made a mistake. It's called learning. Deal with it. </div></div>

No learning is what you do before the hunt so you dont go out and wound a animal. You dont learn by shooting at a animal you learn by shooting at papper to make sure your gun is zeroed. Now you have a wounded animal suffering because you are a fucking idiot deal with it.

Obviously I missed the first post- you edited it by the time I saw the thread. Assuming you injured it, had trouble tracking it, and lost the blood trail, there are products that help with staying on trail. Hydrogen peroxide is supposed to work on fresh blood, and there's a product called blue star that works on fresh and dried blood.

http://www.bloodglow.com/blood-in-motion.html

I'll be adding these to my pack in the future.

Error404, I think your ass has been chewed on enough so I'll skip that. Most hunters make a mistake or two before they get it all sorted out.

Your point about impact difference is correct but something else that can make a much larger difference is harmonics. The barrel whips as the bullet travels down it, different loads usually make a different whip and if the bullet exits on a high node with one load and a low node with another then the points of impact will be spread further, sometimes as much as 6" @100 yards.

The good thing is since you found lots of hair the buck may be only grazed and not fatally wounded, good luck finding him or having a meeting with him in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously not the best choice (shooting without confirming zero), but I did run the numbers and the difference in these two rounds is .4MOA @ 100 yards and .2MOA @ 65 yards.</div></div>

Update: after a range trip this morning, rifle is zero'd. Problem solved, lesson learned.

Hey kurt, no reason to start dropping the F bomb. I understand the lectures, but I hope we can at least keep the discussion civil.

I have a semi-friend, we will call him an acquaintance, who has me zero his rifles for him every year for hunting. I keep telling him that it is zeroed for me and not for him and he should not expect the same POI. But, he says he is too busy with his work to do it so I do it for him every year. I can see the same result going to happen to him one day. And, I will say, see, I told you so. Always, always, always, test your selection ammunition for hunting...I start in July every year practicing with my 6.8mm hunting load so I know where it hits. If for nothing else then a clean humane kill of the animal.

You learned a valuable lesson. Change your habits. Only practice will make it perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a semi-friend, we will call him an acquaintance, who has me zero his rifles for him every year for hunting. I keep telling him that it is zeroed for me and not for him and he should not expect the same POI. But, he says he is too busy with his work to do it so I do it for him every year. </div></div>

Never could figure out the folks that:

-Are too busy to shoot/sight-in.
-Are convinced someone else's zero will absolutely work for them.
-Hunt with a ton of recoil but can't stand to sight the thing in themselves.
-Wait until a few days before Season to check zero after not touching the weapon since last year.
-Don't even bother to check zero after not touching the weapon since last year.

I could go on......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Never could figure out the folks that:

-Are convinced someone else's zero will absolutely work for them.
</div></div>

That's nothing. There is someone, who may even be a member on here, who was letting people who had never shot his rifle or even long range -- including a random guy that drove up to see what they were doing -- start shooting at deer at 600-900 yards with his rifle.

I asked him where they hit them but didn't get a response.

On the other hand, I've got a friend that hadn't hunted in 8 years. I sighted in
his gun. We went out, dropped him off on a ridge in the Missouri Breaks and
drove down about 600 yards. About the time we opened the doors we heard two
shots and drove back. He walked back to the suburban, pointed to the 2 deers
where a bouts to send the boys to gut and drag them back. All he said was,
"Thought I might a lost my touch after all those years".

not saying it can't be done but half of fun of hunting is the preparation time...scouting, weapons shoots, reloading and testing the loads. The actual shooting part is a very short ordeal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not saying it can't be done but half of fun of hunting is the preparation time...scouting, weapons shoots, reloading and testing the loads. The actual shooting part is a very short ordeal. </div></div>

I completely agree with that. Hunting season is just putting the work of the past 10 months into play. Deer killing season is still open here for a couple more weeks. That said, I'm already getting ready for next year. New/better food plot locations have been planned, new/better stand locations have been picked out. A member here is starting a build for me, as we just finished hammering out the details the other day. We'll build it, develope a load, and shoot the hell out of it before next November. 30-06AI in a heavyish 700. Can't wait to get it up and running.....

Horn hunting is what you guys are referring to. Around here we don't put
much effort in meat deer or antelope. Elk are a whole-n-other animal to hunt.
Never saw much as saw one I could shoot at without considerable effort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Horn hunting is what you guys are referring to. </div></div>

Yeah, we're horn hunters all right, here.....

P1010019.jpg

HPIM2699.jpg

HPIM2674.jpg

HPIM2680.jpg

Once in a while we do manage to get lucky though.....

HPIM2682.jpg

My kid still needs a little trigger time during the summer and fall. Sorry I don't,
shooting meat deer is no feat. Ranchers up here beg you to buy doe tags and
come clear them. I've been offered their kitchen windows as a rest.

wow that sucks loosing a monster buck! i lost 1 shooting ballistic tips in the woods hit a branch the size of a broom handle that i did not see in the scope. will never do that again!barnes bullets all the way now.