• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lost on what to for my first precision rifle

The HMR pro for 1100 could be a smoking deal depending on the caliber and rounds down the tube. Your getting a premium action, trigger tech special and its hand build in the US

It sounds like most people think howa is a better value than tikka, but tikka is a little better performance

Those who think so have apparently never owned both. I have, one Sako 75 and three Howa 1500s. When it comes to performance Howa leaves nothing to be desired compared to a Tikka.

BTW, my shooting partner has a Tikka TAC A1 and my Howa 1500 HB doesn't take a back seat to it in the performance that matters: on target.

Given those prices I would do Tikka too. The Howa at a $1000 loses its value too much. I put my “Howa Bravo” together in the $700 range. It seems Brownells raised their barreled action prices since the time I bought mine.

Yeah it looks like I could actually buy the barreled action from them and buy a bravo and just assemble it for less than the bravo package. Kind of odd

The HMR pro for 1100 could be a smoking deal depending on the caliber and rounds down the tube. Your getting a premium action, trigger tech special and its hand build in the US
24” in 6.5 Creedmoor. Exactly what I am looking for. Starting to lean this way, but I’ve felt the action on a standard HMR and a tikka varmit and think the tikka is smoother.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks like I could actually buy the barreled action from them and buy a bravo and just assemble it for less than the bravo package. Kind of odd
Depending on the specific model barreled action and sales/promotions you can come out above or below the complete package once you add in the cost of the magazine. Its worth it to compare prices between equivalent set ups but the complete package isnt something youre going to fleece yourself over if you do choose the all in one option.

Personally I would buy the howa over the bergara if for no other reason than bergara has the dumb coned bolt nose which precludes the use of prefit barrels. You can get a howa barrel nut set up from pva or criterion to set it up yourself without having to ship your rifle off for a smith to measure it.

The premise series actions from Bergara are a whole other world compared to the B14 actions. They are the same ones they do the custom shop builds off of.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
The premise series actions from Bergara are a whole other world compared to the B14 actions. They are the same ones they do the custom shop builds off of.

So I’m doing some more research on the HMR pro and came across this post:
I purchased a Bergara LRP Elite in 6.5 Creed about 6 months ago for a first PRS rifle. The rifle shoots very well, but I quickly learned that it would shift POI about 1.75" upward as it headed up (usually between rounds 3 and 6). I had a APA Little Bastard brake on it at the time. I called Bergara, and they told me that this is a known problem and that the rifle was never meant to be fired quickly as it was more of a match gun. After I explained the error of that reasoning, they admitted that it was a design flaw and that they are replacing it with a heavier contour on future models.

When I asked them about rebarreling, I was told that they could rebarrel in house for $500 to any barrel offered on a current rifle. The heaviest barrel contour offered is in the Ridgeback with a medium palma in 24". They also offered to sell me a prefit for $300 with a threaded crown and polished stainless in medium palma. I opted for the prefit and should get it in the mail soon. They claim it is the AI style and does not require a lathe or a nut, so we'll see how it works.

I have several buddies who shoot Bergara rifles, and I have personally witnessed 3 HMRs fail at local matches due to extractor issues. I have also seen two premium actions fail for more or less the same reason. I have a friend with a HMR Pro with the heavy barrel in 6.5 Creed who has had the same POI issues that I have experienced howbeit to a greater degree. We have found that lighter muzzle brakes reduce the POI shift, but it is definitely still there. I assume the shift is due to minor issues in manufacturing, but it could very well be the profile is simply too light for competition. This is concerning that a barrel company cannot offer a better selection of barrels for their comp guns, but it sounds like they are working on the issue.They sell their premier action for $975 and a barreled action for $1,200 which might be a better route for those looking to get into competitive shooting. Bergara is more that happy to email you the action plans if you need them to request a prefit from a third company.

Overall, I have lost a lot of faith in Bergara but haven't left them as a customer simply because they have alright customer service and I'm kinda invested at this point. If they were to offer a better barrel selection and correct the POI and extractor issues, they would be back on the playing field as an economic alternative to many of the other brands. However, I wouldn't buy into Bergara at this time if I were purchasing my first rifle (check out the MPA barreled actions for $1,500). Hopefully, this helps a few folks make an informed decision and avoid some of the issues I have experienced.
Has anyone had similar issues? Seems like this person has done their due dilligence and it’s not a one off. I don’t see these issues mentioned anywhere else as far as I can tell...

Last edited:
I'm not gonna get a lot of support on this but I really like my Savage 12 LRP. It's a 1/2 moa gun. Plenty of chassis options available. With a bolt lift kit the action isn't bad.

I didn't read the whole thread, but the answer to your question is a Tikka CTR. Eventually throw it in a Manners T4A from euro optic. You can get both of them under your total budget right now, or you can shoot the CTR full factory since it's an awesome rifle straight off the shelf.

So I’m doing some more research on the HMR pro and came across this post:

Has anyone had similar issues? Seems like this person has done their due dilligence and it’s not a one off. I don’t see these issues mentioned anywhere else as far as I can tell...
Haven't had an issue in that regard with my B14 HMR, or any of the Bergaras I own, neither have any of my friends who own one. I would go with a Bergara over a Howa any day because it is a Remington 700 footprint and, although Bergara temporarily stopped their rebarreling due to "production issues", there are more and more gunsmith shops out there now that will rebarrel Bergaras, coned bolt nose and all.

Reactions: DDFan86
which ever one makes you smile at the thought of shooting the most . I have no real answer for you they all are niceguns in there own way good luck and happy shooting on which ever you pick . no matter which gun i am shooting that ting of steel being hit just makes me smile . sunshine on a rainy day , good company , and above ground all just add to the experience .

Haven't had an issue in that regard with my B14 HMR, or any of the Bergaras I own, neither have any of my friends who own one. I would go with a Bergara over a Howa any day because it is a Remington 700 footprint and, although Bergara temporarily stopped their rebarreling due to "production issues", there are more and more gunsmith shops out there now that will rebarrel Bergaras, coned bolt nose and all.
Good to hear a different experience. I do like that if I go Bergara I don’t plan to change the stock or anything so can run production division if it try PRS.

which ever one makes you smile at the thought of shooting the most . I have no real answer for you they all are niceguns in there own way good luck and happy shooting on which ever you pick . no matter which gun i am shooting that ting of steel being hit just makes me smile . sunshine on a rainy day , good company , and above ground all just add to the experience .
Thank you very much for the kind words and well wishes. I can’t wait to hear that steel running myself!

I have a Bergara elite and mine does not shift poi in the first 10 rounds. I have not torture tested it beyond that. Heavy barrels are not necessary for a 10 round string imo a medium Palma or Remington varmint is heavy enough. The Tikka is a lighter barrel than the Bergara and nobody claims poi shift with the Tikka.

My Tikka CTR 260 was a hammer and with a stock pack the factory stock was fine. Took it out to 1400 yards. When I re-barreled, I went 24" 6.5 creed. It is in a German Gun Stock and still using factory mags. Bought a 223 varmint and it shoots better than the CTR did. Built a 22BR match rifle on a T3 action. Hard to beat the trigger and action for the money. A factory CTR doubles as a decent hunting rifle too.

This is what I did with my 6.5 Creedmoor B14 HMR, shot great out of the box, trigger was also good to go but I like to improve my guns so I replaced the bolt with the Premier SA fluted bolt, and added a TriggerTech Special. It's a keeper! Other guns might get sold, some definitely will, but this is one that will stay and get re-barreled only with a premium select when the time comes.

Attachments

• 20190714_165449a-Edit.jpg
    20190714_165449a-Edit.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 44
Just an update...

So I managed to find a store with a Bergara HMR, LRP, and tikka tac a1. Also found someone with a ctr in stock and felt them all. The premier action is definitely a noticeable upgrade over the b14, but I like the tikka action better. Decided to go with the CTR in 6.5 cm with a 24” barrel. Blued version as I don’t really see the need to do stainless. My next decision is a new stock/chassis. Probably the KRG bravo but it means I need new mags.

Thanks everyone for all of their help! Appreciate all of the advise and will definitely post updates once I get it all set up!

Ps. Anyone know how to find a bookmarked comment? Can’t find it anywhere

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
So buy the barreled action, or the two separate?

Seems like Howa is also popular. Anyone had experience with the tikkas and howa and can compare the two?
The good thing about Howa's is that you can get the barrelled action by itself and then pair it with the many chassis options offered today.
With the Bergara, Tikka, and others youre spending more on the gun, only to probably pitch the stock for a chassis later.

With a barrelled action and chassis, you could be into the gun for $700-1000 depending on what chassis you buy.

There is another thread on the KRG Bravo that will accept the CTR/TRG magazines. Don’t believe it has been released yet, but might be worth checking out/waiting for it.

I personally like the TRG mags more than the AICS

Yeah I thought AICS mags would be good for uniformity, but seems like they can bring some issues? Like you can’t use pmag acis

So I managed to find a store with a Bergara HMR, LRP, and tikka tac a1. Also found someone with a ctr in stock and felt them all. The premier action is definitely a noticeable upgrade over the b14, but I like the tikka action better. Decided to go with the CTR in 6.5 cm with a 24” barrel.

I own both Tikka (three of them) and a Bergara Premier Approach rifle. So far, both brands have been awesome. Can’t go wrong either way.

Reactions: b6graham