• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Lot Testing in Georgia

wbbh

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2018
Had a great afternoon getting my Bergara H1-4R lot tested at Whidden Gunworks.

I had an appointment last Friday, 5-17-2024 to lot test my Bergara H-14R. We drove down to their shop from North Augusta and had a 1:30 PM appointment. We arrived a little early. The folks at Whidden GunWorks welcomed us in and led to the testing range. Jeremy and Lamar were running the test and explained the process. There are two very substantial test fixtures and associated target/data systems that allow two tests to be run simultaneously. Another gentleman was there to get his Voodoo run through the Eley test and I was there to get the Lapua/SK/Norma ammunition series. Both test are very through and include 50 and 100 meter data.

Both Jeremy and Lamar are shooters, took exceptional care of our rifles, and throughly explained the testing as well an analyses of the results. I was happy to find a lot of CenterX that shot better than the Midas+ I had managed to buy recently.

I highly recommend getting your rifles lot tested at Whidden Gunworks, they are great folks and do a great job. I have been a customer of their centerfire loading tools and ammunition and it was a pleasure to meet them in person.

Good to hear!
In my custom CZ 457 with Harrell's tuner Center X shots the same a Midas+ or Lapua Long Range with SK Rifle, SK Long Range not far behind.
I live in NW AZ and when my Benchrest 22 is done I will take it to the Lapua Center in Mesa AZ

Reactions: wbbh
I was all ready to drive down for the day until I found out it was going to cost me $240 to test Lapua and RWS.

I was all ready to drive down for the day until I found out it was going to cost me $240 to test Lapua and RWS.
They don’t waive that fee if you decide to buy the lot of ammo or apply it to the cost?

I hear you, but this is my personal response.

I have not used the Lapua testing, but I believe the testing is not as extensive as the test for Eley lots, it's very extensive and many rounds fired. Other brands get a slightly less extensive test, however it's still much more than shooting ten rounds of ten lots like myself and shooting buddies do for lot testing. The fixtures and action adapters used to hold rifles for testing very substantial. Finely, testing took a good four hours of manpower, throw in the cost for about 200+ rounds of excellent .22 rimfire ammo, and sixteen pages of documentation, including 50 and 100 meter results, the price is quite reasonable. Best of all, the ability to purchase the lot that shot so well and taking it all home.

It's your money, your mileage may very.

I hear you, but this is my personal response.

I have not used the Lapua testing, but I believe the testing is not as extensive as the test for Eley lots, it's very extensive and many rounds fired. Other brands get a slightly less extensive test, however it's still much more than shooting ten rounds of ten lots like myself and shooting buddies do for lot testing. The fixtures and action adapters used to hold rifles for testing very substantial. Finely, testing took a good four hours of manpower, throw in the cost for about 200+ rounds of excellent .22 rimfire ammo, and sixteen pages of documentation, including 50 and 100 meter results, the price is quite reasonable. Best of all, the ability to purchase the lot that shot so well and taking it all home.

It's your money, your mileage may very.
Eley lot testing is cheaper there, than Lapua and RWS. A lot cheaper. Seems they may be swaying you to go with eley vs another option.

OP can you elaborate on how the cost of the ammo you're testing works? Wasn't sure since online they only sell in bricks vs. individual boxes you'd need to lot test. Is that already covered in the testing? Or do you have to buy ammo just to test, if so do you have to buy the bricks?

OP can you elaborate on how the cost of the ammo you're testing works? Wasn't sure since online they only sell in bricks vs. individual boxes you'd need to lot test. Is that already covered in the testing? Or do you have to buy ammo just to test, if so do you have to buy the bricks?
With the exception of a box or two of *control ammo, all the ammo tested is included in the testing price.

* They ask you to bring your current choice in ammo to establish a control.

holy crap I had no idea rimfire was this elaborate.. my whole family would shit a brick if they caught me doing that for 22lr lol.
honestly I think that's a good value.. 240$ and I can buy *that* ammo from them? assuming the markups aren't ridiculous of course..
can I ship to them from kentucky? no shit I got a cheapo savage I would love to show up a few good friends with their excellent custom rifles and off the shelf sk rifle match...
or am I dreaming?
ty for posting this op

Last edited:
are there any companies out there who would ship an assortment of ammo for you to lot test on your own? I get that these labs have high end equipment but living in the People’s Republic of New Jersey, I’m halfway across the country from lot testing locations and don’t trust any shipping company that much. My thinking is that if I can’t notice a difference lot testing myself… then it really doesn’t matter because I shoot like ass anyway- right?

holy crap I had no idea rimfire was this elaborate.. my whole family would shit a brick if they caught me doing that for 22lr lol.
honestly I think that's a good value.. 240$ and I can buy *that* ammo from them? assuming the markups aren't ridiculous of course..
can I ship to them from kentucky? no shit I got a cheapo savage I would love to show up a few good friends with their excellent custom rifles and off the shelf sk rifle match...
or am I dreaming?
ty for posting this op
It’s $240 for Lapua or RWS testing service. Then you have the option of buying a case of what your gun likes.

are there any companies out there who would ship an assortment of ammo for you to lot test on your own? I get that these labs have high end equipment but living in the People’s Republic of New Jersey, I’m halfway across the country from lot testing locations and don’t trust any shipping company that much. My thinking is that if I can’t notice a difference lot testing myself… then it really doesn’t matter because I shoot like ass anyway- right?
Gummymans,
Before the supply chain issues with rimfire ammunition started, this was a common practice as there was enough ammunition and various lots within each brand available.

Flash forward, the significant increase in the number of smallbore shooters (due to limited amount of centerfire reloading components and new rimfire disciplines) results in ammunition literally flying off of the shelves of retailers. Even if you could order a box or two of several brands and various lots, by the time it shipped, you conduct testing, determine results and get back to the retainer - that ammunition is LONG GONE.

This is why you see the current run on any testing facility here in the US. Lapua - which has for the past several years has dominated multiple smallbore disciplines - has a lengthy backlog at both facilities for testing. Eley, after closing their test center in Winters, TX and reestablishing one with Mr. Whidden, has to catch up in getting customers back and also address their quality issues (FTFs and loose priming compound). The back and forth on who is #1 from year to year is not uncommon....and don't forget to include RWS in the mix as they often are overlooked but also produce exceptional ammunition with R50 and R100.

The decision to test at a manufacturer's facility or not is certainly a personal choice and no matter what, it will cost money to do so. It is up to each person to really look at the costs for testing at each center, combined with the final cost of any selected ammunition - including any shipping / travel expenses.

The discussions can really go down a rabbit hole comparing test protocols and the statistics to have an "x" level of confidence in any lot tested..... Again, it can become mind boggling at times.

As with any rimfire discussion, YMMV.

Yes. Anschutz North America does this with R50. We are currently waiting on a container from RWS.

We sell test bricks which is 10 different lots of R50. You test it and call us and order whatever lot you want and whatever the quantity of it you want.

Killough shooting sports if you want Eley. Just click the the one you want ( the good ones). The lot numbers will pop up. Order a couple boxes of the ones with several hundred left in stock. test it, then go back and buy more or it. Not possible with Lapua, too much demand.

Last edited:
Yes. Anschutz North America does this with R50. We are currently waiting on a container from RWS.

We sell test bricks which is 10 different lots of R50. You test it and call us and order whatever lot you want and whatever the quantity of it you want.
Yes! And thank you very much, a fantastic service and when you call Anschutz North America you are talking great folks that are shooting enthusiasts and know what they talking about. * RWS R50 is excellent ammunition.

My wife is currently shooting the lot of R50 we found in just this way. When we found a great lot we dug deep and bought all we could. With that R50 ammo she shot her first ARA 2500 and in another match, three in a row. Her CZ 457 has a great barrel and she is a great shot.

If Anschutz ever makes a rifle that qualifies in the ARA factory category it would be great. I sold my unlimited rifle because it was too much to carry the one piece rest required to be competitive and a heavy benchrest rifle.

1813Benny's comments are right too.​

* When myself and a shooting budy tested the ten lots of R50 there was one lot four different CZ riles did not shoot nearly as well as the other nine lots. But, being as we are talking .22s that lot shot a one hole ten shot 50 yard group in a heavy benchrest rifle on the same day. Granted, small sampling Vs large lot statistical testing reality makes it truly difficult to make solid choices on a sample of a few rounds, out of one box of one lot, the results above do support the notion that every .22 rimfire needs to be fed ammunition it likes and your rifle just might not like some excellent ammunition.

Finally as 1813Benny said:
As with any rimfire discussion, YMMV.

It’s $240 for Lapua or RWS testing service. Then you have the option of buying a case of what your gun likes.
yes, I think that's a very fair deal. they take my gun and for 240$ theyll sell me ammo (at additional price) that my gun likes so I don't have to deal with all the testing and sourcing and lot # crap. seems like a perfect setup for lazy dumbasses like me, I just don't have to time or resources to commit to 22lr, I'd rather do some long range shooting.

yes, I think that's a very fair deal. they take my gun and for 240$ theyll sell me ammo (at additional price) that my gun likes so I don't have to deal with all the testing and sourcing and lot # crap. seems like a perfect setup for lazy dumbasses like me, I just don't have to time or resources to commit to 22lr, I'd rather do some long range shooting.
I did some chasing on this. Found out, and this may have been said already, haven’t followed the comments. The $240 is paying for the tested Lapua ammo that Whidden doesn’t have an agreement with Lapua.

Talked with a buddy that tested yesterday and today. He says it’s too notch. I’m checking with Mr Lamar to see when I can get down there.

When is that container coming in?