• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lots of weight to lose

I spent a couple years of nothing but eating out and drinking lots of beer. Then the health problems started rolling in and I had to take corrective action.

I went from 320 back down to 175 in a year.

I counted calories, quit soda, quit beer, dropped candy like foods, and started counting calories. I gradually worked from about 3,000 calories down to about 1,800. Once I dropped my weight down to about 240 I started working out hard core, too.

You do not want to get below 1,800. You'll have hair loss, malnutrition, lose muscle tone, and have blood acidosis.

But you do have to count ever last calorie, including the ketchup or bbq sauce you put on your meat. It will work, trust me.

I spent a couple years of nothing but eating out and drinking lots of beer. Then the health problems started rolling in and I had to take corrective action.

I went from 320 back down to 175 in a year.

I counted calories, quit soda, quit beer, dropped candy like foods, and started counting calories. I gradually worked from about 3,000 calories down to about 1,800. Once I dropped my weight down to about 240 I started working out hard core, too.

You do not want to get below 1,800. You'll have hair loss, malnutrition, lose muscle tone, and have blood acidosis.

But you do have to count ever last calorie, including the ketchup or bbq sauce you put on your meat. It will work, trust me.
Damn congratulations on your weight loose. That is more less what I have been doing with the weight watchers plan(old one). It uses calories, fat, and dietary fiber then gives you a point value. I write everything down I eat.
320 to 175 is a hell of a lot of weight to loose in a year.

Thanks, it will work for the OP if he follows it. Key is consume fewer than you expend. Good luck on your plan, TRAAV.

Okay, a lot of this stuff is diet and such, but I've seen some recommend you lift weights. I wouldn't lift weights if you are trying to get weight DOWN in order to pass MEPS. But if you were disqualified for hearing, shouldn't that be a concern? Perhaps you should see a doctor about that before going --you could simply have a big plug of wax in there that has to be removed. You can hear almost like having new ears afterwards. Qtips stuff the junk in there most times unless very careful.

Anyway, instead of lifting the weights, I'd do cardio and long walks. Weights will burn fat, yeah, but it'll also increase your girth and you need to get that down first. If you want to do weights, use light ones with lots of reps. You can amp up the cardio and get used to running by running telephone poles, pick a number, walk one run one, or walk two run one. I can tell you for a fact when you get to basic it'll be a hell of a lot easier on you if you do. Don't overdo it with the ruck. You'll get plenty of that and you don't want to end up like me. I thought I was superman and carried 200lb rucks (not every time obviously) and I was pure dynamite on road marches too. I just ignored the pain. Now my back is trashed from it and I can't ignore it.

If you can, you may be able to get your recruiter to get you into a pre-shipping out fitness program. I know they had that when I joined (spring '01, army) and if you passed your PT test with them and could march, you got rank prior too. Talk to your recruiter, they're usually real helpful. Marines tend to have less pre-enlistment programs though, and I did live near a base.

Don't eat and clear your guts out prior to weigh in; they used to recommend to drink magnesium laxative prior and to not eat anything (this will shrink your waist for the taping).

A lot of good info has been covered so I will be brief. But, bottom line is you can get down to 10% body fat with nutrition alone. Now, granted, that is VERY strict nutrition tailored to your body. But you get the point. But you MUST eat fats. Your body needs these essential fats. Egg yolks, almonds, olive oil, stuff like that all has GOOD fat that your body needs. I hired a nutritionist a while back mainly for strength increase, but he also tailored a diet to my body and it was extremely effective. Don't be afraid to hire a coach. No one, who is super successful in life, has gotten there on their own. Real coaches are worth the investment if you are truly determined! Good luck, keep up the good work!!

Paden

Reactions: westsidecamper
A lot of good info has been covered so I will be brief. But, bottom line is you can get down to 10% body fat with nutrition alone. Now, granted, that is VERY strict nutrition tailored to your body. But you get the point. But you MUST eat fats. Your body needs these essential fats. Egg yolks, almonds, olive oil, stuff like that all has GOOD fat that your body needs. I hired a nutritionist a while back mainly for strength increase, but he also tailored a diet to my body and it was extremely effective. Don't be afraid to hire a coach. No one, who is super successful in life, has gotten there on their own. Real coaches are worth the investment if you are truly determined! Good luck, keep up the good work!!

Paden

^^^Good advice here. I was taking some nutrition classes and had to do a dietary analysis on myself. I found out that I was too lean on fats and carbohydrates. I tweaked my diet quite a bit and fell much, much better. My brain even works better with he proper level of carbohydrates. Ideally, you maintain blood glucose levels by eating a variety of foods that your body metabolizes at different rates. You need a good balance, no matter what the fad diet people tell you.