• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Louisiana Black Bear

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
A buddy of mine emailed these photos and a brief story. I googled it and found the story on the LDWF website.

BLACK BEAR KILLED IN WALKER FOLLOWING AUTO INCIDENT

Release Date: 06/30/2010

A Louisiana black bear was killed Tuesday night after being hit by an automobile and then shot by a Walker Police officer following a close encounter at the accident scene.

A Walker Police Department officer arrived on the scene at Burgess Ave. near Tiffany St. around 11 p.m. to investigate the auto incident and determine what kind of animal the vehicle had struck. The driver was not able to identify the animal before it moved into a wooded area near the accident site. While searching the wooded area for the animal that was struck, the officer came upon the black bear, startling the injured bear and forcing the officer to react in self defense.

Dr. Jim LaCour, Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) veterinarian, determined the bear had moderate to severe internal injuries from the vehicle accident, but could not determine if the bear would have survived those injuries.

The bear was an adult male weighing between 350 and 400 pounds. LDWF records indicate the bear was previously captured in 2008 in Patterson, but had not been reported as a nuisance bear since. Nuisance bears are captured, tagged and released using aversive conditioning in an effort to dissuade them from returning to residential areas.

"The breeding season is June and July for black bears in Louisiana, so we are right in the middle of their peak activity," said Maria Davidson, LDWF large carnivore program manager. "Male bears will travel miles daily to look for possible mates and will cross roadways in the process."

Homeowners are reminded that bears are naturally shy and usually avoid contact with people. Anyone seeing a bear in their neighborhood should retreat to a safe area and call the LDWF 24-hour hotline: 1-800-442-2511.

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

Re: Louisiana Black Bear

Is there a hunting season on them down there? Too bad a hunter didnt get him.

No bear hunting is allowed that I know of. They only figure that 400-500 exist in the state.

The two local (Baton Rouge) news channels advised that nobody in the those parts knew of the bear in the area. Nice to think that they can be in your backyard and you'd never know it.

Is that a guessed weight or actual? Seems most 400 pounders I have seen take up a lot more truck bed.

If he was still in the area after being hit by a car then he was probably hurt bad enough that he needed to be put down. Nice bear though.

Good size bear. I've had these animals get fairly close to me while hunting in NC and it will get your attention real quick.

I have a deer lease not far from the patterson area where that bear was trapped & tagged, and another lease a little further down the road. They're both lousy with bear. We see them pretty regular and they're becoming a nuisance. I think we'll see a season on them eventually.

We see bear all the time around the house. The only danger they pose seem to be to your garbage can and truck grill. Or to your record if you shoot one. One day there will be a season cause they are multiplying quick.

We have them at my land now in Port Allen/Lobdell area. On multiple occasions members reported bears hanging out under their box stand during a hunt. Scares the shit out of me personally