• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Love my Vortex Razor Spotter but have an issue.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Went ahead and picked up a Vortex Razor straight body. It was in really good shape and I got fair deal.

Anyway, the glass is incredible. I don't know all the technical terms to describe scope performance but the image looks like I'm viewing it with my naked eye from just a few yards away. Scope works exactly as advertised.

The only issue is its' size. And not so much the size of the scope but of the tripod needed to make it feel stable. I took the only tripod I had which is for a camcorder. It was pretty big.

So, is anyone using something that clamps onto a shooting bench. Or a stable enough tabletop small tripod for a scope this size?

The Razor is cool and has a lot going for it. The Kowa digiscoping adapter fits and the 30x mil or MOA eyepiece is available. I can't think of a spotter that offers more but I'd like for it to feel more secure.

I have very money to put toward a tripod. I found this post on a DIY prone tripod and was thinking about something similar to clamp to a bench but thought I would ask before I started trying to recreate the wheel.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3305999

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Love my Vortex Razor Spotter but have an issue.

On my Zen-Ray 20-60x82mm Angled Spotting Scope I bought a Manfrotto MKC3-H01 tripod and I love it!

The best part it was pretty inexpensive and it fits in my range bag.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75...e_Kit_with.html

The Manfrotto MKC3-H01 replaced the Monfrotto Modo Mini tripod. Some LongRangeHunting forum members had reviewed that tripod a few years back and gave it good reviews.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/monfrotto-modo-mini-tripod-review-47314/

I love my spotting scope set-up.

Not trying to hijack, but...

Question: I'm using a window mount kit and a cinder block as my tripod. This seems to work (prone or bench) better than any tripod I've ever used. I also dabble in photography, so I do have nicer tripods. Is their any benefit to using a mini tripod vs. my method? (I understand the weight benefits)

Went ahead and picked up a Vortex Razor straight body. It was in really good shape and I got fair deal.

Anyway, the glass is incredible. I don't know all the technical terms to describe scope performance but the image looks like I'm viewing it with my naked eye from just a few yards away. Scope works exactly as advertised.

The only issue is its' size. And not so much the size of the scope but of the tripod needed to make it feel stable. I took the only tripod I had which is for a camcorder. It was pretty big.

So, is anyone using something that clamps onto a shooting bench. Or a stable enough tabletop small tripod for a scope this size?

The Razor is cool and has a lot going for it. The Kowa digiscoping adapter fits and the 30x mil or MOA eyepiece is available. I can't think of a spotter that offers more but I'd like for it to feel more secure.

I have very money to put toward a tripod. I found this post on a DIY prone tripod and was thinking about something similar to clamp to a bench but thought I would ask before I started trying to recreate the wheel.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3305999

Thanks,

Paul

Not to be off subject but, I compared a Swarovski HD model side by side with the Razor. I couldn't differentiate between the two in clarity too much, maybe a slight nod to the Swaro but, not a $2,500 nod. The only complaints I have with the Razor is the weight and the tunneling at low power. I can live with that versus the savings.