• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER INTRO

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
savagemkiif001.jpg

I had it in my mind that I was saving up for a CZ 452 or a varminter with a Nikon buckmaster on it. As it turns out I did a 180 and purchased another Savage MKII, F model. I have the BV, but it is a bit heavy for silhouette on which I plan on doing full bore this year. And the BV is a little too "purty" to do any serious field shooting, of which I thought the same of the CZ.

So I got this one at walmart for $127.00, ($107.00 as they had a $20.00 coupon with a credit card application) and thought it would work well for both a dedicated silhouette stick and a low budget "no worry about scratching it" centerfire trainer.

It is a stripped down no frills model, has gritty heavy trigger, open sights, and although the barrel seems "freefloaty", when flexed the stock does rub the barrel. the molding lines on the stock are present and sharp. All of which will be addressed.

I'm also going to try to keep it as "Walmarty" (things bought only there) as I can - to see what I can produce on a low budget trainer, hopefully under $300.00 as an off the shelf type of project, that anyone can make. so some accessories / enhancements may be a bit "rednecky", but it's to stay within that "low budget walmart trainer" catagory.

this will also limit my optics choice. i wanted to go with a target dot for silhoutte, but i like the mildot for everything else. so i'm thinking aboout the centerpoint 4-16x mildot. it works well on my .22 mag, and should also do well on this rifle while keeping me within the $300.00 budget. as i shot both reticles in silhoutte, the mildot is ok, but the target dot definitely has an advantage for me.

i was surprised that the length of pull fit me well, since i have short arms most of my stocks have to be cut. this rifle seems to be a good fit and may actually be a bit too small for taller / longer armed folks. even the grip felt ergonomic for a cheap plastic stock.

I found the orientation of the bolt knob to be very convienant for a factory rifle, either for a right or left handed shooter. It sticks out enough but not too much, has a nice length, and is slightly swept back. One thing i did notice about the bolt is that there are subtle differences in the bolt design and receiver between the MKII F and my MKII bv (the BV is a few years old, was manufactured the year before the accutrigger).

i don't really like the 10 round magazine for this application as it tends to get in the way for off hand shooting. will definately be replace with 2 5 round mags, but for now, the 10 round is functional.

my first thoughts were to start modifying the stock to make it more tacticool / a4 / a5 ish, but as i'm going to use it for hunter class for small bore silhoutte, i don't want to end up with something that violates rules.

will post pictures, cost, and range reports as it develops, should make for a decent thread.

savagemkiif015.jpg

savagemkiif010.jpg

savagemkiif018.jpg

savagemkiif004.jpg

savagemkiif002.jpg

savagemkiif003.jpg

Re: NEW FAMILY MEMBER...

after 6 savages in different calibers, i've never had one that didn't shoot. this one looks and probably is a little "cheezy" looking and feeling right now, but paid $107.00 for it. i still have yet to shoot it, perhaps this weekend, if i don't have ascope on it, i'll try the opens.

Cool deal congrats!! No go shoot LOL

Dude.. I love the idea...

Here's my cheek piece for my indoor trigger training (air rifle)

DSCN0001.jpg

I must be a real snob.. I couldn't bring myself to use Duct tape!

I like the rifle and the idea behind it TP! Like you, (and I'm sure many others) I've yet to own a Savage that wasn't a good accurate firearm. They all shoot very well and I would never feel under gunned for accuracy with a Savage. An Accu-Trigger would have been nice, but you have what you have and you can make it work.

Nice rifle!
smile.gif

You can’t really go wrong for $107, especially since it is a savage. Looks like an awesome gun to shoot the crap out of and not worry about scratching, just like you said. May it be triumphant over many bricks of .22.

Cool.
So $107 for the fire-stick, aren't the Centerpoints about $80?
$10 for Wally rings, what is the remaining $100 planned for? bi-pod, they aren't that much? sling will be $15.

[does anyone know who actually makes CenterPoint optics for Wal-Mart?]

Wal-mart used to have 5 round Savage mags, or there is Cabelas or even order direct from Savage.

Another question, why do you like a target dot for silhouette for optics?

I currently have the Centerpoint 4-16 mildot on my 700 VTR in .308 I dont want to sound ridiculous but this was the best $70.00 Ive spent on a scope. Ive put 400+ rounds through the rifle after zeroing to 100 yds and it doesnt move a bit. I hit great groups and I think for the money it is a good scope. You can check out http://www.crosman.com/optics/ for a look at the centerpoint scopes. I believe to answer the question from above about who makes centerpoint I believe Crosman (the same company that makes airguns does). I recently bought my son a .22 criket and was looking at the criket website for a scope for his .22 and when I looked at the x4 mildot scope they offer it is simply a centerpoint scope with a new logo on the side.

I love the idea of a good .22 target stick for practice. I may have to go about doing the same thing. I know with the scope and sling your going to be around the $200 mark and you can add a wal-mart harris-style bipod for around $50.00 I paid $10 for the bases and then I paid another $14 or so for new rings as the tacticool rings that came with the scope didnt work with the base I bought. So in all you should have a good stick for under $300.00

I look forward to seeing the end product and some range reports. I may need to go buy one myself now. Good luck.

This is right off of the Centerpoint website for those who were curious.

As President and CEO of Crosman Corporation, I take pride in our company doing things one way, the right way. For more than 80 years, the Crosman name has been synonymous with quality, innovation and dependability, today more so than ever. That "right way" philosophy is the driving force behind CenterPoint Precision Optics, a new brand that we believe will change the dynamics of shooting optics, far beyond airguns.

All CenterPoint riflescopes are built on a foundation of strength and durability. Each tube is precision machined from aircraft grade aluminum alloy, nitrogen filled and completely sealed from the elements. Their camera quality lenses deliver the brightest, sharpest images. And all CenterPoint scopes are put through rigorous testing on the toughest, magnum caliber rifles. These scopes will close the distance and deliver.

CenterPoint Precision Optics is the next chapter in Crosman's long history of innovation and quality, helping to foster shooting as a lifetime sport.

Ken D'Arcy
President & CEO
Crosman Corporation

i will, gotta first see what i got off the shelf, then start the frankenstein process.

got the scope mounted, bipod, and an one of my epic babeling posts with pictures that hopefully i'll have time to put up later. i gotta go somewhere in about five minutes, see ya.

The CenterPoint 4-16 will work great, that's what is on my Savage Mark II BTV .22LR and my Savage 12FV in .223.

You can also get the 9-13 inch bipod at wal-mart for $40. It used to be the real name brand, but they changed them to "Winchester"; but it looks to be the exact same thing.

I just ordered mine through Wal-Mart's Site-to-Store. That way I knew I was getting the actual Harris.

no doubt the Harris is the way to go, i have it on mkii bv. for this i picked up a 9-13" knockoff at walmart under the winchester banner for 39.97. will fit into the budget better, and of course will be reviewed a little in the update coming shortly.

Hello, i introduce myself. Im <span style="font-style: italic">Elian</span> from Rosario - Argentina i a young student that likes rimfire precision rifles (specially sniper related)
Im following the rimfire section of this forum from long time ago, and i found it very interesting. I really enjoy reading all the info i get here.

First i congratulate <span style="font-weight: bold">TOPPREDARTOR </span>for the constancy on the threads you create and manage.
cool.gif

Im going to coment the post related to your new rifle. That i consider an inteligent acquisition.

Sorry for my eventual mistakes on writing on your natural language.

Is started shooting with a semiautomatic .22LR Marlin 795 rifle. Now im thinking on getting a bolt action rifle.
First i checked this wonderful savage rifle (very affordable) but later i continued saving some money an im going to buy a CZ 452 Varmint.

I invite you to check a thread that i created with tons of pictures and experience with my rifle on Rimfirecentral Marlin 795 Pictures and Experiences
There you can check my advances, range reports, improvement, modifications on the rifle, hunting pictures, etc.

I don't want to of topic this but we will be in touch.

Greetings from Argetnina
laugh.gif

Welcome. And I would venture to say that most of us here would have the same problems if we were to try to write in your language. Nice looking rifle and some good shooting there.

i started to, however it's in there pretty darn tight, and didn't want ti mess up the end of the barrel. i'm going to leave it in as to use the sight as a "stopper" for something special.

its funny I bought the same rifle on the 25th of Jan to get my boy shooting and a trainer for me. I am going to use the Winchester bipod, and a Barska scope thats in the closet. Just cant find the #24 weavers locally yet.

Good write ups, and keep them coming.

Howdy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i started to, however it's in there pretty darn tight, and didn't want ti mess up the end of the barrel. i'm going to leave it in as to use the sight as a "stopper" for something special. </div></div>

Nothing than a dremmel cannot fix
smile.gif

I understand the stopper idea
wink.gif
is good for adding cans ...

Really enjoy your post

TOP PREDATOR...

I want to thank you for these "how to" posts, they help many people do things they would have never thought of doing themselves.

I've done a few and people don't realize how much time and effort goes into making one...and you've done a bunch!!!

Thanks again!