• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

low budget spotting scope for rimfire practice

Romeyo

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Austria
I need a spotting scope for rimfire training out to maybe 100-150 yards to identify bullet holes on paper. I would like to spend less than about 400 bucks.
Can anybody recommend a suitable spotting scope in this limited price range or am I asking for too much?

thanks

I don't think you're asking too much, unless you want/expect the resolution from the much higher dollar items. I've got a Minox MD 50 angled version 16-30x50 that I keep in my gear bag, works wonderful, quite compact and the price is right too at about $200.00 (from Cameraland NY).

Thanks!

Any model in particular? I'm wondering if the clarity of the 100mm model at higher magnifications is worth all that weight and size... On the other hand I'll do moslty bench and prone shooting and won't carry that thing around all day long...

So if i'm not asking for too much let me rephrase my question: What would be the best buy for around 400 bucks? If seeing .22cal holes at 150-200yards without much problems, what would those optics be then capable of and under which circumstances? (weather/light conditions)

Edit: And also, what kind of eyepiece do you find more comfortable when shooting prone or on benches/tables? straight or 45 deg ?

Last edited: