• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low Mass Operating Systems Setup

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    I’m thinking of swapping to a low mass setup in my competition rifle. This is my run & gun setup so it needs to be reliable even if it gets wet/dirty and it needs to provide a notable difference in recoil mitigation for fast follow up shots.

2 questions for you guys who have experience in these:

1. Is it worth the cost? ($500ish)

2. Is there anything else you’d recommend?: JP Low Mass steel BCG, JP Silent Capture System, JP adjustable gas block.

The setup i had on my 20" 68spc was the JP LMOS nitrided carrier, LMOS rifle buffer and Syrak adjustable gas block and a standard rifle buffer spring.
    It was noticeably light recoiling but most impressive was just how clean it ran.
    I never had to scrape any carbon off of the bolt or in the carrier.
    I did also use one the JP one piece bolt rings.
    The bolt honestly still looks like it did when i first bought it.

While the JP SCS system is really nice, it's costly - so I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. My brother has a JP 9mm AR with the SCS, and it really does make the action run smoothly, though. Might be worth it for competition use.

I picked up a lightweight BCG from AIM Surplus and bought one of these buffer kits from KAK that includes an assortment of weights to fine tune the buffer system:

Grab an adjustable gas block of your preference, some various recoil springs, and start fine tuning your system.

I've got at least 8 rifles set up with low mass systems, so you can probably guess that I think they are worth it.
    However, as nice as the quality of the JP parts are, there is no performance advantage over less expensive BCG's, like those from RCA, Toolcraft, Youngs, Odin, etc. Even the AIM Surplus house brand BCG's are serviceable.

The SCS is nice and makes things feel smoother while charging but there is no performance gain over a standard buffer at a weight that you like.
    An AGB is a must, lightweight parts without gas to match will be harsher than it needs to be.

The step up to ultra low mass is noticeable but not huge, and aluminum carriers are short lifespan parts. Titanium is forever, but a lower quality TI carrier with anything less than a glass polished surface can hog out your upper receiver.

Make sure to play with spring rates as well as different buffer weights while you're tuning the setup.

I've been doing low mass stuff extensively for the last seven years, in rain, sand, mud, snow, ice, temps from 0-100, and anything that has made my systems fail is also making the next guy with a mil-spec systems rifle fail. Nothing is malfunction proof, but with at least a tiny bit of maintenance and lube a low mass system isn't far off in reliability from anything else out there.

I've got at least 8 rifles set up with low mass systems, so you can probably guess that I think they are worth it.
    However, as nice as the quality of the JP parts are, there is no performance advantage over less expensive BCG's, like those from RCA, Toolcraft, Youngs, Odin, etc. Even the AIM Surplus house brand BCG's are serviceable.

The SCS is nice and makes things feel smoother while charging but there is no performance gain over a standard buffer at a weight that you like.
    An AGB is a must, lightweight parts without gas to match will be harsher than it needs to be.
    I agree with all the above & have several low mass setups from several sources; I have not made the leap to ultra low mass & probably won't for my needs.

FWIW, the JP & RCA BCG's seem to be somewhat smoother than the others I've tried, but that's just a subjective comment.

MM

@TonyTheTiger what’s your favorite setup? I was planning to do the SCS builders kit just so I could play with the spring tuning, etc. If there are some other already proven combos that are cheaper I’d be all ears.

All of my rifles now are set up for hard use, eat any ammo in any circumstance so they are over gassed with H2 buffers and FA carriers so I’m guessing this will make a pretty notable difference.

I love the JP LMOS and use them along with the JP Silent Captured Spring System in EVERY ONE of my 8 AR’s. You can tune these to make your rifle shoot extremely soft, yet still reliable. Keep in mind you will lose the forward assist function with the JP LMOS as the carrier does not have the notches.

I have several set up with JP LMOS and SCS. Love em. I had a factory JP with the aluminum BCG for a while, and the recoil impulse was amazing. I shot it quite a bit and didn't see much wear, but I wouldn't consider it a hard use part. I've had no reliability problems with LMOS, and I've shot a lot of matches in extremely dirty conditions. My only wish with LMOS is that they were compatible with a forward assist. I agree that any low mass carrier will get you the same result as a JP. I've had such good success with JP that I've stuck with them.

Reactions: bigjake83
    @TonyTheTiger what’s your favorite setup? I was planning to do the SCS builders kit just so I could play with the spring tuning, etc. If there are some other already proven combos that are cheaper I’d be all ears.
    My long time go-to setup has been light BCG, Taccom ULW buffer and -10% buffer spring. I've got plenty of setups with standard springs or gutted buffers, but the above has always worked out great. I'll post a video below of how low recoil and flat shooting it is in conjunction with a good brake and a longer gas system. If you don't know what you like in buffers/springs the SCS builders kit is handy for testing and tuning without having to buy a dozen different parts.

My current favorite is probably an RCA TI carrier paired with an Unrivaled Technologies magnetic captured buffer. It's different from the SCS in that it's very light but uses magnets to hold the BCG in battery rather than buffer weights to eliminate any potential for bolt bounce.

Unfortunately my phone is getting pushed around by the brake so it looks like more rifle movement than it is

I've been interested for a while but have some questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

How ammunition sensitive are these setups? I realize you can tune the gas and springs, etc. I am just curious if you have some variables in the ammo you run. Maybe with powder changes due to shortages or other reasons. How much wiggle room there is once you change to the low mass set ups? I realize with a competition rifle your loads are typically set, but me not being a competition shooter I may run 50, 55, 62 or the occasional heavier load. I do load my own rounds but like being able to run whatever I may have for the day.

My other question is do you notice any reduced longevity of the parts like springs, carrier, etc? I'm sure using higher end components help.

I’m thinking of swapping to a low mass setup in my competition rifle. This is my run & gun setup so it needs to be reliable even if it gets wet/dirty and it needs to provide a notable difference in recoil mitigation for fast follow up shots.

2 questions for you guys who have experience in these:

1. Is it worth the cost? ($500ish)

2. Is there anything else you’d recommend?: JP Low Mass steel BCG, JP Silent Capture System, JP adjustable gas block.
    Are you currently running a compensator?

I've been interested for a while but have some questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

How ammunition sensitive are these setups? I realize you can tune the gas and springs, etc. I am just curious if you have some variables in the ammo you run. Maybe with powder changes due to shortages or other reasons. How much wiggle room there is once you change to the low mass set ups? I realize with a competition rifle your loads are typically set, but me not being a competition shooter I may run 50, 55, 62 or the occasional heavier load. I do load my own rounds but like being able to run whatever I may have for the day.

My other question is do you notice any reduced longevity of the parts like springs, carrier, etc? I'm sure using higher end components help.
    If you have read some of the replies parts longevity is pretty much the opposite of the typical " SHTF " way overgassed set up beating the shit out of everything and running filthy.
    I mainly ran mynown reloads but also three different Hornady factory loads and one SSA factory load without needing any adjustment of the gas block.

I figured wear wouldn't be an issue excluding an Aluminum carrier. I may play with a low mass set up in the future. It looks fun.

Ok, was just looking at the RCA offerings and see that they have an adjustable gas key.

So does that mean you don’t need to get an adjustable gas block? Does it work just as well?

Ok, was just looking at the RCA offerings and see that they have an adjustable gas key.

So does that mean you don’t need to get an adjustable gas block? Does it work just as well?
    AGK Pros: easier to adjust if you switch back and forth from suppressed to unsuppressed.
    Cons: less adjustability, more gas gets back closer to your face/parts.
    AGB Pros: more adjustability, gas blocked/diverted away from your face/parts
    AGB Cons: harder to adjust back and forth or on the fly, can carbon lock if not maintained.

You don't need to run both. I prefer the AGB but the gas key method is definitely more user friendly especially if you aren't always shooting suppressed. I have SA AGBs on all my gassers, and on one I do have a bootleg but i just run that as a normal carrier

I would say they aren't finicky in the least, but people can/do manage to make easy things hard all the time.

If you tune the gas to the absolute edge of function, it will be a problem changing ammo. Or when the weather changes, or when mercury is in retrograde. But that's true for a full mass setup as well.
    I've got two guns that common lore says shouldn't work. A 14.8" rifle gas and a 17" rifle +1" gas, both with low mass systems. Both of them work with my three standard loads, a 55gr around 2600fps, a 55gr at 3k and 77gr at 2700ish with no tuning needed, at temps on both ends of the spectrum. Beyond that, I've loaned them out at matches and they've had all kinds of garbage put through them without issue.
    So try as I might to make ammunition sensitive guns, I can't seem to do it.

And yes, shit parts will wear out regardless, but quality stuff seems to have no loss of lifespan in a low mass setup. As long as the gas is tuned properly the parts should actually have an easier life. I've got one JP BCG that looks almost new with over 30k on it.

Tony the Tiger, have you ever set an AR10/LR308, with a LMOS or Ti BCG, in a magnum or SAUM cartridge?
    Thanks

Tony the Tiger, have you ever set an AR10/LR308, with a LMOS or Ti BCG, in a magnum or SAUM cartridge?
    Thanks
    No I haven't. An AR10 match gun has always been in the back of my mind but it hasn't gotten further than that yet.

Reactions: Earnhardt
    My long time go-to setup has been light BCG, Taccom ULW buffer and -10% buffer spring. I've got plenty of setups with standard springs or gutted buffers, but the above has always worked out great. I'll post a video below of how low recoil and flat shooting it is in conjunction with a good brake and a longer gas system. If you don't know what you like in buffers/springs the SCS builders kit is handy for testing and tuning without having to buy a dozen different parts.

My current favorite is probably an RCA TI carrier paired with an Unrivaled Technologies magnetic captured buffer. It's different from the SCS in that it's very light but uses magnets to hold the BCG in battery rather than buffer weights to eliminate any potential for bolt bounce.

Unfortunately my phone is getting pushed around by the brake so it looks like more rifle movement than it is

Damn.... Looked like 0 recoil into you... That was badas

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
    Tony,

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate the information and it makes sense to me. I think I will be playing around with some low mass stuff in the future.

Yes, I have a BCM comp on it. I know it’s not the best but it’s a compromise like everything else.
    Lots of options if you are not happy with it. This looks to be a pretty comprehensive test
    Muzzle Brake: Summary of Field Test Results
    Muzzle-Brake-Field-Test-Summary.png

Reactions: Rerun7
    realize with a competition rifle your loads are typically set, but me not being a competition shooter I may run 50, 55, 62 or the occasional heavier load. I do load my own rounds but like being able to run whatever I may have for the day.

My main match rifle, which is cutting edge 2010 technology ;) , lived on 80% Prvi Partizan, 55gr on the hoser stages, some 62gr, and 75gr on the longer range stuff. Many many thousands of rounds. A few K of PMC and Fiocchi (one of which gave me really low velocities) and a sprinkling of Federal X-XM whatever that I found or was given to me. Nothing anyone would call "good" ammo, no handloads. I would say it's no less reliable than any other AR I've owned, but in fact it's probably been more reliable than them. On top of that, I'm a "greaser", use grease on my BCG.

Last edited:
    One last question I forgot to ask. Since you are going with less reciprocating mass, does this allow you to use less gas to run the system? Say you had a regular weight BCG and change to the light carrier. Would you change the gas block setting? I realize it needs what it needs to run. Just curious if it needs less gas to move things and the rest of the tuning is in the spring and buffer at that point. Hopefully that makes sense.

Assuming your gas system is running efficiently, no leaks, gas rings making a good seal etc., yes, any lighter parts be they carrier, buffer or spring should require less gas to run.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Reviving this with updates.

I ended up getting an RCA steel low mass carrier, JP SCS15 and sup arms adjustable gas block with bleed off. Ran me right at $400.

I’ve been testing it over the past couple weeks and here is what I’ve found. The bleed off was basically worthless. It was over gassed at full bleed off and I had to use the heaviest spring to get it to work. It basically felt the same as the system I had before.

Went to the lightest spring and put the GB in restrictive mode. The GB adjustments aren’t as fine as they need to be. I’m either slightly over gassed or slightly under gassed with both the lightest and next to lightest springs.

I have a run n gun event this weekend so just left it at slightly over gassed on the lightest spring with the assumption it will be more reliable when it gets dirty.

Overall - I had hoped for less recoil than what I’m getting. It’s improved for sure but I was thinking it would be even less. I’m assuming the lightest spring and lowest gas possible will give the least amount of recoil but let me know if I’m thinking about that incorrectly.

Setting up a gun "low recoil racegun" is kind of like precission handloading. You know, do this one thing and your groups shrink by 3". Do this other thing and it shrinks my another 1/2 inch. The next 1/4 takes these four things. The next 1/4 inches takes these six things.

Making those AR's shoot that way takes lots of little things to all add up. And they're not concerned about recoil recoil in the traditional sense, only about how it effect muzzle movement. It's also a balance, too light a spring and you're slamming things to the rear and sluggish going into battery. Two unequal opposite actions on what's happening to your muzzle.

Speaking of which, what do you have on the muzzle?

I ended up getting an RCA steel low mass carrier, JP SCS15 and sup arms adjustable gas block with bleed off. Ran me right at $400.

I’ve been testing it over the past couple weeks and here is what I’ve found. The bleed off was basically worthless. It was over gassed at full bleed off and I had to use the heaviest spring to get it to work. It basically felt the same as the system I had before.

Went to the lightest spring and put the GB in restrictive mode. The GB adjustments aren’t as fine as they need to be. I’m either slightly over gassed or slightly under gassed with both the lightest and next to lightest springs.

I have a run n gun event this weekend so just left it at slightly over gassed on the lightest spring with the assumption it will be more reliable when it gets dirty.

Overall - I had hoped for less recoil than what I’m getting. It’s improved for sure but I was thinking it would be even less. I’m assuming the lightest spring and lowest gas possible will give the least amount of recoil but let me know if I’m thinking about that incorrectly.
    The muzzle device is going to make a bigger difference than all of the operating system components combined unless you already have a good brake

This is where further tuning via mass and/or spring weight changes are necessary for optimal tune.

If you're trying to reduce the feeling of the rearward force, then a muzzle brake will do that. Low mass will reduce the impact somewhat, but think light hammer going fast vs heavier hammer going slow, both will have impact. The only way to prevent it is to optimize the cycling in such a way that the reciprocating mass never reaches the end of the stroke (bottoms out in the buffer tube).

What you should be looking for is muzzle rise and muzzle dip (muzzle deviation from point of aim) in the action cycle when doing quick shots rather than trying to discern whether or not you have less rearward felt impact into your shoulder.

If you can't visually track the reticle movement of your optic, the test to see the low mass in action is a quick controlled pair and hammered pair at relatively short distances (<25yds for example) and measure the spacing between the first and second impacts.

The setup with the least amount of muzzle deviation will depend on how finely tuned you can get that gas flow. The in between settings for optimal and leaving it slightly over gassed means your rearward stroke will generate more force (than necessary) than the forward stroke in the the shot cycle. The spring can only generate so much force, more gas does not make the buffer spring generate more forward force.

Last edited:
    I have never done a low mass system per say. I have a 6.5 grendal that I added mass and spring pressure in attempt to make it easier on brass. The end result was a rifle that did not shoot very good. I moved the buffer weight back down to an H2, went back to regular carbine buffer spring. Turned the gas way down to get it running in the proper window again and it shot great.

It had wolf extra power spring and h3 buffer.

@TonyTheTiger is spot on…. I’ve run both adjustable gas blocks and keys, and prefer a good adjustable gas block.

Be prepared to get frustrated though! For me anyway, changing something as simple as going from one spring to another for example was always having weird effects on the cycling, and I’d have to adjust the gas block a lot more than I was expecting.

On my uber-light no tax stamp AR15 (tubbs flat wire, taccom UL buffers (2-piece version), DSA aluminum carrier, mid-length gas, adjustable gas block), I got it working pretty quickly:

i-6wpXRhD-4K.jpg

But my more standard regular lightweight gun, was a complete pain in the ass setting up with an adjustable gas key on the Boomfab titanium carrier (V7 non-adjustable gas block). Finally got it running right with a Sprinco white spring and a regular carbine buffer:

i-gpLp3Bz.jpg

Learned my lesson on that one, and went with an adjustable gas block on the next iteration (also with a boomfab carrier), and it runs great with a regular carbine spring and buffer; much wider operating envelope for the gas too…

i-JgGg65f-X5.jpg

Still working on the final setup for my “lightweight” AR10; finally got it running right with the much lighter V7 titanium carrier, but not super happy with the recoil and not sure if I want to go heavier or lighter on the buffer yet.

i-C6GDf3m.jpg

I am using the bolt with the dual ejectors from the KAK BCG in the V7 carrier now though

i-XcQBQcd.jpg

i-99Mt99n.jpg

This is where further tuning via mass and/or spring weight changes are necessary for optimal tune.

If you're trying to reduce the feeling of the rearward force, then a muzzle brake will do that. Low mass will reduce the impact somewhat, but think light hammer going fast vs heavier hammer going slow, both will have impact. The only way to prevent it is to optimize the cycling in such a way that the reciprocating mass never reaches the end of the stroke (bottoms out in the buffer tube).

What you should be looking for is muzzle rise and muzzle dip (muzzle deviation from point of aim) in the action cycle when doing quick shots rather than trying to discern whether or not you have less rearward felt impact into your shoulder.

If you can't visually tracking the reticle movement of your optic, the test to see the low mass in action is a quick controlled pair and hammered pair at relatively short distances (<25yds for example) and measure the spacing between the first and second impacts.

The setup with the least amount of muzzle deviation will depend on how finely tuned you can get that gas flow. The in between settings for optimal and leaving it slightly over gassed means your rearward stroke will generate more force (than necessary) than the forward stroke in the the shot cycle. The spring can only generate so much force, more gas does not make the buffer spring generate more forward force.

Yes, to clarify, when I mentioned recoil I’m specifically talking about muzzle deviation off target. After this upcoming weekend im going to do some testing on group size from hammered pairs.

I can definitely tell a difference though. Visually it looks like about a 50% reduction in movement from standard which is good but I think I can do better. I’m curious to see if reliability will suffer once it gets dirty. (I have to do some water crossings, crawling through mud/dirt, etc)

As far as the muzzle, I’m running a BCM mod 0 comp. Not the best but this gun has always been somewhat of a hybrid between hard use and gaming. The low mass system was pushing it more toward gaming.

Reactions: Evintos

I don't recall seeing what type of barrel or gas length that you have, but I've set up LMOS systems on mid, intermediate & rifle gas systems & all have worked quite easily.

I'm surely not a fan of Superlative gas blocks & I use SLR's on better builds (they adjust easily with the right tool & come apart easily for cleaning) but have also used a couple of cheaper ones as well, with no issues.

As Tony has done, I have also had reasonable success with being to use a fair range of ammo on a given gun & once set up with a gas setting & a set of ammo, a given gun rarely gets changed..................unless I really want to change things up.

My goal is to always use a carbine (3.0 oz) buffer & a Sprinco yellow (reduced) or white ("standard") spring....................I I've yet to set up a gun that wouldn't work that way....................but on a particular mid-gas gun I did end up using an H buffer to get it where I wanted it with the ammo I wanted to use. Rifle gas guns are a breeze................................

I've not ventured into the ultra-light buffer system game yet as I really don't need to get that low.

So if you're have some issues, it's almost undoubtedly your other components that are causing the problem, not the light(er) weight carrier as your carrier is only modestly lighter than a full weight one.

Tell us what barrel & gas system you have for a start; trash the BCM break for a good one & I'd also trash the Superlative unless you can get it closed off to the point that will make the gun a single shot...............if it will do that, then it should work.

MM

No issues. Just working to get it as flat shooting as possible while still being reliable enough to make it though run n gun comps.

As far as the muzzle, I’m running a BCM mod 0 comp.

That's your issue.
    I would agree. That's a very mild comp, with no baffle surface perpendicular to the bore. It may have some compensating effect but very little braking.
    In the hierarchy of race gun tuning, an aggressive brake is at the top. It's doing at least 60-70% of the recoil reduction, with all of the low mass, gas (assuming you're not wildly overgassed), and buffer stuff all adding up to get that remaining 30-40% gain. If you want it all you've gotta go balls deep tuning every aspect, but if you wanted the biggest gains from one component an effective brake is it.

If you don't find shooting the rifle objectionable, you're using the wrong comp. :D

A friend had video of my old SJC Titan comp blasting and startling an RO so bad that he stumbled backwards and landed on his ass.

(Sadly he's gone now and the video with him.)
    :(

Reactions: drewthebrave
    PA Hypertap, PA M4-72, APA Answer, Ultradyne Apollo Max or X1, Unrivaled Technologies, SJC Titan is still kicking but he has a 2nd gen available now. Plenty of others too. Look for lots of baffle surface, angled baffles and adjustable ports are a bonus. Know that many match rulesets use 1"x3" as a max size for brakes.

Reactions: Rerun7
    PA Hypertap is my current favorite. If rules require 1"x 3" Max than take a look at Coda Evolution's Fury Ti comp. I have one and it's effective for a smallish brake.

Adjustable ports are cool. I can remember drilling a hole in the Bennie Cooley comp on my irons rifle to tune it to stop doing something. (I'd have to go dig it out to remember what exactly) I remember it was hairy. "Well here goes nothing!" thinking I may be ruining this thing. Then drilling it out just a little wider to fine tune it. Today if I screwed it up I'd just weld it up and no one would be the wiser. But at the time that thing was a lot of money for me to risk ruining.

Another update for anyone who’s trying to set up something similar.

To recap - before my last run n gun I swapped to an RCA low mass carrier and the JP SCS with the lightest spring. It made a noticeable difference and stayed reliable throughout the run. I finished as top shooter with about 60 people in my division.

I recently bought an APA Answer brake. Got to hit the range today and get it dialed in. It made a ridiculous difference.

After dialing in the right combination of ports the sights basically do not move now. I was able to do hammered pairs on a 10” plate at 300 yards.

I’ve got another comp in a few weeks so looking forward to seeing how it works out in the cold this time. AND I’m just gonna apologize to the RO’s ahead of time because it will rattle your teeth out, lol.

Thanks for all the advice!

Reactions: stefan73
    Another update for anyone who’s trying to set up something similar.

To recap - before my last run n gun I swapped to an RCA low mass carrier and the JP SCS with the lightest spring. It made a noticeable difference and stayed reliable throughout the run. I finished as top shooter with about 60 people in my division.

I recently bought an APA Answer brake. Got to hit the range today and get it dialed in. It made a ridiculous difference.

After dialing in the right combination of ports the sights basically do not move now. I was able to do hammered pairs on a 10” plate at 300 yards.

I’ve got another comp in a few weeks so looking forward to seeing how it works out in the cold this time. AND I’m just gonna apologize to the RO’s ahead of time because it will rattle your teeth out, lol.

Thanks for all the advice!
    I have one of those Gen3 Answer's on the way to try. Curious to see how it compares to the Hypertap.

I’ve got an RCA Ti BCG and an Unrivaled Technologies Comp buffer that I’m going to pair with an Aero AGB…in my 6 ARC. I don’t have a gamer 556 gun, so my PRS gas gun will have to do for this experiment. Excited to see how it goes!

Kind of on topic, but when tuning your AR for suppressor use, any go-to tips that you guys use?

I started out with a standard AR15 type rifle with a non adjustable gas block and two different flow through suppressors. Which worked just fine.
    Then I started tinkering with regular suppressors and quickly found out that an AGB was very much needed. The amount of backpressure that some suppressors create was surprising to me. Im thinking about getting a buffer with adjustable weight system to really fine-tune. Is it worth it or should I be looking at other stuff?