• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low power 338LM load???

shane45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2002
Pa
www.bryantarmament.com
Has anyone developed a load for the 338LM that would be in the neighborhood of a 308? Is light loading in a magnum rifle an issue is my real question I guess. I was considering getting the 308 kit for my SRS for practice. But in thinking it through it would likely be far more cost effective to just use a low power load in the 308 range instead of a whole new kit for the SRS if such a thing can be done.

Re: Low power 338LM load???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone developed a load for the 338LM that would be in the neighborhood of a 308? Is light loading in a magnum rifle an issue is my real question I guess. I was considering getting the 308 kit for my SRS for practice. But in thinking it through it would likely be far more cost effective to just use a low power load in the 308 range instead of a whole new kit for the SRS if such a thing can be done. </div></div>

No offense buddy, but if you want to shoot for 308 prices, shoot a 308.

This being said, I guess you can load up some of the Nosler 180s or even 200s, but why toast a barrel for informal plinking?

You still might have higher velocities going this route, say 3000+ fps, but for bullet price, they might be a tad cheaper, however not by much.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mmmmm hang fire. </div></div>

Or worse - DETONATION.

Chris, its not really about 308 ammo prices, its about $1600 of caliber conversion. And if your running at 308 pressure, your not eating your barrel at the rate of a 338. My concerns were more around the comments from others such as hang fire or detonation isues. Its just a thought.

You could try looking in a Speer reloading book. Most cartridges have reduced loads in them. While I'm sure they don't have one specifically for the 338 Lapua you should be able to come up with something. I used one of their reduced loads for the .375 H&H w/235 gr. Speer bullet that the wife used quite successfully on Michigan Whitetail.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone developed a load for the 338LM that would be in the neighborhood of a 308? </div></div>

Velocity--yes
Energy--no

A couple of things happen when one tries to down load way outside the normal range of a cartrige. The first obvious one is that the bullet is so under propelled, it does not make it out of the barrel. Then the next shot down the bore typically goes boom. Not recommended.

The second thing that happens with light loads, is: after the pressure starts to subside, the bullet starts to accelerate at ever lessing rates. At some point the friction of the bore is greater than the propulsion of the pressure and the bullet rapidly decelerates. When the pressure wave catches up to the decelerating bullet, it sets up a shock wave in the barrel that rapidly detonates the rest of the burning powder. In these cases, pressure rises sky high, and Kaboom is likely.

Hmmmm found this from Pete regarding 338lm subsonic. If it can be loaded that low then I would think a warm 308 like round would be easy!

"Hey guys we Offer a .338 Lapua Subsonic load at 1000FPS out of a 27.0in BBl. I sent some to SOCOM to test and they say on ave they were getting 1.1 MOA out to 700 Meters.

Here are the specs:

COR-BON AMMO .338 Lapua 300gr BTHP PT# (338S300/20)

Test Rifle: APA built on a Badger action with a 27.0 BBl Broughton 1in9.4 twist Surefire 338 can.I also have a 23in BBL for it and the AVE VEl is around 985FPS.

Case: .338 Lapua (LAPUA)
Bullet:Lapua Scenar.
Powder:N/A.
Primer:N/A.
OAL:3.620. (max OAL for AI mags)
AVE VEL:1000fps.
AVE ES:32fps.

I hope this will help answer some questions.

Thanks Pete"

1st off i have never loaded for a 338 lapua . with that said , i cant imagine why you couldnt do this if you relly want to . i have loaded reduced and subsonic loads in several calibers , its not rocket science . but you will need to do a lot of research 1st and proceed very carefully . the above warnings are for real . it can be done , just do your homework , take your time , dont try any shortcuts .

If you blow up the 338 how much money are you saving? I bet at that point you could have bought yourself 3 or 4 SPS 308's or just 1 and 5 years worth of FGMM ammo...just sayin'

Im not sure why you think it would blow up. Apparently you can safely go down to 1000 fps with the right load. Anyway, I found a load that looks like what Im looking for. Sends a 225grn bullet at around 2700 fps.

Regards,
Shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure why you think it would blow up. Apparently you can safely go down to 1000 fps with the right load. Anyway, I found a load that looks like what Im looking for. Sends a 225grn bullet at around 2700 fps.

Regards,
Shane </div></div>

Loading subsonic rounds to be used with a suppressor, which are expected to be ultra quiet, isn't the same thing as loading a 'reduced' round for reasons of expense, or recoil.

For me at least, I questioned the reason for doing this in the first place. A 225gr bullet at 2700 fps is still going to thump a bit, is still going to require roughly the same amount of powder (negligible, anyway), a primer and a bullet that's cheaper, but not terribly so and is still going to blast your throat away one shot after the next.

I can see doing this is you're just going out to mount and zero a scope one day, but what are we really talking about...5-10 rounds, total?

Anyhow, you can try some 225gr SSTs or Interbonds from Hornady, which should be cheaper than any of the target grade bullets, but have a decent BC and should fly straight.

Chris

Its not a ammo cost thing, it was a try and avoid a 308 kit thing. Some of it is trying to preserve the barrel but a big part of it is also some ranges having some concerns with the 338. But if it is truly a bad idea, no biggie, it was worth exploring the idea.

Just like most calibers, you can create reduced or subsonic loads that are safe to fire. There is a little science to getting it right. You can load up a 200 or 225 grain .338 Hornady SP bullet for pretty cheap at a reduced load. Let me know if you are interested.

Chad, I actually had it on my todo list to contact you about this! I will get in touch with you as soon as we are past the silly season! Thank you!

Shane