• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Low Recoil 30-06 Load

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
I'm working up a Savage Axis II 30-06 that I held onto when I gave my very trusty Win70 Featherweight 30-06 to my Daughter and Son-in-Law. It arrived with the now infamous crummy scope base/rings setup. That's been replaced with an EGW Steel 20MOA extended base, and a couple of sets of rings. It had a Trashco Tasco 2.5-10x42 on it that kept walking forward under recoil. I replaced the cheap package rifle rings and uncovered an older Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classic and mounted that with a set of Vortex 6-scew rings. If they slip, I'm gonna be real sad.

Part of the problem was some peppy handloads for the new 178 ELD-X's. Forget about the scope; the load was whackin' me silly too.

So today I took a ministry of silly-walks step and put up a bunch of 50 loads using the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip and 52.0gr of IMR-4064. Technically 1.0gr under min, I figure its worth a try anyway. I did a lot of net diving looking for 125gr Garand loads and found ones listing from 45-55gr of Varget as running fine in the Granny. Just for S&G's I also put up ten of the same, but substituting the Sierra 125gr Pro-Hunter Spitzer.

We shall soon see what we shall soon see....

Greg

Been sick. Very. Had to have EMS stop over twice this past month to bring Oxygen. It'll take a lot more than that to stop me.

I did manage to get out and test the new Ruger PC Carbine, and it's a keeper; but the outing had me worn down to the threads for the next few days.

Improving, will go for my first Cataract surgery this Friday, the second probably within a week or two. By Dec, I expect to be back up and running.

Later...

Greg

Cataract Surgery went excellent. I cannot believe how far my vision had degraded. The eye is still healing, but vision is really, really good, and appears to be still improving. Thanks, VA.

Greg

Hope you heal up well I’ve used I believe it’s the 125 grain managed recoil load out of a 308 for when my wif3 goes huntin* with me and it performed well on the buck she took. 10 steps and he was doen in sight. I can’t imagine the 30-06 wouldn’t perform equally well with the 125.