• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lower Priced (<$400) with exposed elevation turrets

lukeyn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2007
Ohio, USA
Putting a scope on my 300wsm and want an exposed elevation turret for quick dialing of long range while on hunting trips. Gun will probably only be shot once a year so not really looking to spend mucho grande cash on a scope. However, if I'm dropping a grand on a hunting trip, I don't want the scope to fail. Not looking for a true tactical scope that is bulky.

Current Findings.

Sightron SI hunter series
Sightron SI Hunter 4-12x40 AO Riflescope w/ Adjustable Objective FREE S&H 111422, 111423, 31011, 31012. Sightron Rifle Scopes.

Burris C4 4-14
Burris 4.5-14x42mm C4 Wind MOA 1in Tube Riflescope, Matte Black FREE S&H 200448. Burris Rifle Scopes.

Suggestions?

Lower Priced (<$400) with exposed elevation turrets

You don't need an exposed elevation turret to be able to quickly dial elevation on a scope. Just take the cap off when you are actually hunting.

Last edited:
Graham, want an exposed turret so I don't have to fiddle with taking a cover off, possibly losing it in the field, etc.. Don't like doing holdovers, not as accurate with them as I am dialing up the elevation.

4x over the weaver was what I was getting at. knowledgeable input of STFU.
Except that you didn't get there. Like you never got to the part about not wanting to lose caps in the field. Like the other thing I was trying to get you to consider that you also missed.

But I get it: Ask for help, then spend the time criticizing others for not reading your mind instead of asking better questions and thinking about the responses.

So here's some better advice:

Yeah!
+1
Buy this scope, not that scope.
+1000

Last edited:
Holy fuck man. Am I talking to my wife or some dudes on the hide.

When you first posted I was like hey this guys post count is like 24k he must know what he's talking about.
Then I figured out why.
You're a fucking loser with nothing better to do than cruise the hide and give worthless comments.

I should know better than to get in an internet argument with someone such as yourself. You are clearly some neck beard asshole that could school me, but the hell with it.

Go buy yourself a cat so you have something better to do with your time.

When you first posted I was like hey this guys post count is like 24k he must know what he's talking about.
Then I figured out why.
You're a fucking loser with nothing better to do than cruise the hide and give worthless comments.

I should know better than to get in an internet argument with someone such as yourself. You are clearly some neck beard asshole that could school me, but the hell with it.

First of all, thanks for the offer but I decline to make jokes about your wife because I respect her too much to do that.

Second, the 24K post count is an inside joke, mostly at the expense of people who argue on here that post count means anything at all.

Third, name calling, while being against the rules of this Site, is also a sign of desperation.

And finally, I have nothing against cats. In fact, like dogs, having rescued several of them I find no need to buy them. Unlike people, animals never ask to be mistreated.

Last edited:
I just ordered both of those scopes I listed.
Optics planet has a free return shipping policy right now.

Going to compare the two and send one back...Will post my thoughts, pictures, etc. when finished.

Going to compare the two and send one back...Will post my thoughts, pictures, etc. when finished.
Just curious: Why not order one of all the scopes sold by Optics Planet, open them all, evaluate them all, then return all but one of them?

After all, by the time your credit card bill arrives all the return credits should already have been applied.

Last edited:
Do you edit all of your posts? Cant figure out the right things to say the first time? I thought we were past this. Get the fuck out of this thread faggot.

Do you edit all of your posts?
Just the good ones.

Cant figure out the right things to say the first time? I thought we were past this. Get the fuck out of this thread faggot.
First you ask me a question, then you tell me to go away and call me names. Next thing you know you'll be begging me to stay.

...And you call me confused.

Then I figured out why.

You'll get use to Graham eventually. He was actually trying to help at first.

Boom, great idea! Looking forward to seeing what you think!

Then I figured out why.

my usual suspicion is dudes with that kind of attitude are not getting laid regular - graham may need to get some chubby loving tips from shankster to sweeten his disposition

but getting back to the subject - some of the weavers are looking good in that price category - I was going to get one from midways black friday, but for the 400 I ordered 2 - have not mounted one yet

Last edited:

my usual suspicion is dudes with that kind of attitude are not getting laid regular - graham may need to get some chubby loving tips from shankster to sweeten his disposition
Thems the wisdomry of learnin'?

There's nothing wrong with calling someone out who announces his intent to abuse the return policy of a Site vendor.

Last edited:
Thems the wisdomry of learnin'?

There's nothing wrong with calling someone out who announces his intent to abuse the return policy of a Site vendor.

Abuse? I called and told them my intentions, which is how I figured out about the free return policy....Jackass.

I called and told them my intentions, which is how I figured out about the free return policy....Jackass.

So, your argument is that calling them and admitting to them that you are being a jackass excuses your behavior?

Hmmm... They certainly deserve more credit than you do, then.

Good luck with your endeavor, hope you find what your looking for. Just so you all know , Graham is one of my go to guys for info. He's straight to the point and always helps me. He speaks the truth and that hurts feelings at times. He was on here to help, that's all. Good luck with scope!

Well, his first two comments rubbed me the wrong way.
"You don't need an exposed elevation turret "
&
"2x makes that much difference? "

Seemed like he was on here not to give advice, but to give input on what I really need. I already made my mind up on what features, power ranges, ect that I wanted in a scope. I was merely asking the question on which scope to purchase. Now this thread is littered with a bunch of B/S and way off topic. He may be a good guy, I don't know. I just wanted some help finding a scope, not debating on what features I need for hunting.

I like posts like his (when coming from people more experienced than me), causes me to re-evaluate, maybe the best solution is something I didn't think of? Wish an experienced person would have questioned a few of my "must have" feature assumptions on my first rifle/scope purchase.

Holy frikken fk, what the hell is going on here? Its funny, but back to original question, look at the swfa scopes, the Primary Arms scopes, I have both and they are good to go for what you want. The super snipers are about as bulky as the Sightron and hold their value well for when you want to change out.

Last edited:
Never heard of Primary Arms, they Chinese?

I have a swfa ss, does great on my 308, but its more of a range gun. Only issue is their variable power scopes are freaking expensive.

Yep Chinese or Filipino, I have their FFP 14x vari scope and like the glass a lot, they have a SFP 16x vari that is supposed to be good to although I don't have one.

Strangely yes, never had one but someone else said the same to me when I got it, I have it on my ar 308 and its good enough, I put the SS 16 x on my 223 ar for the extra power and help seeing the holes at 100. Marsh who ownsd the company hangs out here on the hide, you can PM him and ask, good dude to deal with. I am 50 Yrs old and just starte wearing glasses so take my word for what its worth.

Sightron is on backorder, so I cancelled it. Going with the Burris, will post my review/thoughts when it comes in.

Yep Chinese or Filipino, I have their FFP 14x vari scope and like the glass a lot, they have a SFP 16x vari that is supposed to be good to although I don't have one.

I have that scope (4x 16 sfp) on a 300wm .Its held up fine and keeps zero. We dont twist the turrets much but they are repeatable. Good scope for the money. Glass is decent but not super just like one would expect on a lower cost scope.

It looks like you've already ordered a Burris. If you don't like that, can always take a look at a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 with CDS turret, or spend a little more for a VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS. The VX3 is a great hunting scope in my opinion.

Then I figured out why.

My cat sez she REALLY resents that remark............but then she has always been picky. Btw, one does not "buy" a cat, the cat generally selects her human. Granted, a dubious distinction at best.

Your lexicon advertises a distinct lack of vocabulary. Get it fixed.

Last edited:
I use Leupold Mark AR scopes on my hunting rifles...they are mil/mil, around $500 and the glass is excellent for the money.

I actually email Leupold today. They have a military/leo discount program. I have heard it is roughly 40% off retail on their tactical line. They have discounts on Redfield optics as well... may be purchasing a spotting scope :)

Graham is very knowledgeable and very blunt. I have at least on one occasion gotten into an "argument" with him here on SH and know from personal experience he does not back down but he does not get emotional and start name calling, either. I disagree with what he said about abusing Optics Planet's return policy, though. In my dealings with them they were emphatic about returning a scope if I didn't like it, as if they were suggesting I try a scope out with no clear intention of keeping it.

That said, after his comment about dogs and cats, I have an even greater respect for him. Being as my wife fosters for the SPCA and other area shelters (6 puppies went back to the shelter today that were born and weaned here, and they all already had homes, what a network) and we have adopted 5 rescued dogs of our own in addition to an FIV/FELV positive cat sanctuary in a spare bedroom with nearly 20 residents, she would be very pleased by his attitude. By extension I MAY have a spot in heaven just for supporting her efforts, but I DEFINITELY have a rich life with nary a dull moment; of the 6 dogs here now (we're fostering mama for a little while) several are pure breed pit bulls and the rest are at least half pit bull, and they are the most engaging and loving dogs I've ever met. There's little likelihood an intruder would make it more than a few steps into my home, so I admit training with my "home defense" weapons is purely an academic exercise. Consider adopting next time you're looking for a dog; there are even shelters for purebreds if you insist on one of those. We lost the last of 3 Weimeraners we adopted from a purebred rescue (none of them rejects or problem dogs) just recently and I still get misty thinking about Silver (we didn't name him).

Rant over.

Joe

Last edited:
600224_507733779285278_531363976_n.jpg

I adopted this pitbull from a home it was seized in. It was only 5 weeks old when we got it, now 6 years old. Owners were raising fighting dogs. First pitbull I've owned and she's been the most loyal dog I've ever had.

Got the Burris in the mail today. Have a few dislikes, probably going to send it back.

-The elevation turret does not have horizontal markings, so it would be very easy to forget how many turns on the dial you have made if you are not paying attention. Another issue I forsee is the elevation turret only has enough room for markings for 1 revolution. Maybe I am wrong, but the customizable turret you receive from Burris would only have your range out to 12MOA of drop. To put this in perspective, for my 300wsm, this is roughly 650 yards, and only ~480yards roughly for my 308. That's a big turn off for me. Not saying I would shoot at a trophy 650 yards away, but I would punch paper out past that.

-Field of few/sight picture is not that large. It is a 1" tube, but compared to my other scopes, it just seems like the FOV is smaller.
-My honest opinion is the optical quality is close to my VX-2. This is hard for me to judge, but just my opinion.
-I like the reticle itself (Wind MOA). With the use of an anti-cant device, I would feel comfortable using that to dope my wind.

Tried taking a few pictures, but I guess I do not have the knack for it.
My front porch. It was -10 outside so I decided to take pictures/do comparisons inside looking out.

400yards away, my sight picture was clear, camera's not so much.

No revolution markings.

FOV comparison with my leupold. Granted it is only a 3-9x, but even with the Burris on 9, it seemed like the Leupold had more.
Burris

Leupold

Also, the vertical adjustment knob was very spongy, unlike my SS.

Last edited:
To the OP. I would recommend an SWFA fixed. Tough as nails.

1552962_654696807922307_450495751_n.jpg
like this? :)

I do like that scope, but I wanted a variable adjustment for hunting. I typically walk to where I am going and leave my scope on the lowest power for possible quick shots. Then if a shot does present itself, I "zoom" on in.

Confirmed with Burris today. Their custom turret is made for only one revolution. So they only have 12 Moa to play with. Good for short/mid range, but not something I was looking for.