• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Lowes Memorial Day Sale

Phalanx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2008
New York
www.seascapesusa.com
Lowes - This place disgusts me. Their Memorial Day ad says "Memorial Day is for fun and getting things done" ....WTF? Really? What about acknowledging all the men and women who died so we can all waste a long weekend with friends and loved ones? How shameful.

I went to the Lowes web site at : http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...51&faqId=51 and blasted them about the ad.

If you have a family member, a friend or know someone who died in the service of their country, go to the link above and tell them how disrespectful their ad is. That is, if you can fit it in between barbeques......... You get the point......I hope.

Semper Fi

Re: Lowes Memorial Day Sale

Sometimes in life there are problems that aren't really worth bothering to solve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes in life there are problems that aren't really worth bothering to solve.

</div></div>

When you lose a brother and several friends in combat, it's very worth it. Your attitude is exactly what's wrong in this country today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phalanx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes in life there are problems that aren't really worth bothering to solve.

</div></div>

When you lose a brother and several friends in combat, it's very worth it. Your attitude is exactly what's wrong in this country today.</div></div>

Phalanx,
I appreciate and thank you for your service and I am sorry about your losses. However, as a veteran myself, I don't necessarily find this lack of attention by Lowe's to be offensive. I will fly my flag proudly and I will pray for the souls of our brothers that have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can have the freedoms we enjoy today. It's easy to lash out over such a subject that hits so close to home but lets remember that although it is a day of remembrance, it's also a day to have fun with friends and family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phalanx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes in life there are problems that aren't really worth bothering to solve.

</div></div>

When you lose a brother and several friends in combat, it's very worth it. Your attitude is exactly what's wrong in this country today.</div></div>

Phalanx,
I appreciate and thank you for your service and I am sorry about your losses. However, as a veteran myself, I don't necessarily find this lack of attention by Lowe's to be offensive. I will fly my flag proudly and I will pray for the souls of our brothers that have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can have the freedoms we enjoy today. It's easy to lash out over such a subject that hits so close to home but lets remember that although it is a day of remembrance, it's also a day to have fun with friends and family. </div></div>

Mike,

You are right to a point, however, I feel it is "Memorial Day" weekend. Not just another long weekend. Memorial Day.

When we forget about the meaning of this day and just teach our kids it's all about fun, what kind of respect will they ever have for people who have died? This white washing over of our veterans' sacrifice no matter who they were related to is just typical of the way our country is going down hill. Nothing matters, its all about me and having fun. No reflection of how we got here, lets just go party.

I guess I was just brought up different. I understand your point and appreciate your comment.....I just can't understand the "It doesn't matter" attitude people have now a days. Guess I'm just old fashioned.

And Ratbert....I didn't mean to lash out and act like I'm lecturing you. It's just hard to see a lack of respect, not speaking about yours but in general, that this country seems to have left in it.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Stay safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phalanx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phalanx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes in life there are problems that aren't really worth bothering to solve.

</div></div>

Phalanx,
I appreciate and thank you for your service and I am sorry about your losses. However, as a veteran myself, I don't necessarily find this lack of attention by Lowe's to be offensive. I will fly my flag proudly and I will pray for the souls of our brothers that have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can have the freedoms we enjoy today. It's easy to lash out over such a subject that hits so close to home but lets remember that although it is a day of remembrance, it's also a day to have fun with friends and family. </div></div>

Mike,

You are right to a point, however, I feel it is "Memorial Day" weekend. Not just another long weekend. Memorial Day.

<span style="font-weight: bold">When we forget about the meaning of this day and just teach our kids it's all about fun, what kind of respect will they ever have for people who have died?</span> This white washing over of our veterans' sacrifice no matter who they were related to is just typical of the way our country is going down hill. Nothing matters, its all about me and having fun. No reflection of how we got here, lets just go party.

I guess I was just brought up different. I understand your point and appreciate your comment.....I just can't understand the "It doesn't matter" attitude people have now a days. Guess I'm just old fashioned.</div></div>

You are right 100% but you also made an excellent point which almost reinforces mine. It is your and my responsibility to teach our children what Memorial Day means. It's not Lowe's or anyone else's. When you and I teach our children the true meaning of such an important remembrance day, then we don't have to worry about what they hear on TV, who doesn't go to Arlington cemetery, or why people don't fly their flags. We teach our children; it is <span style="font-style: italic">our</span> responsibility. When we do this and do this right, they will grow up and the memories of our forefathers and the sacrifice they made for us <span style="text-decoration: underline">will never perish</span>. Remembering Memorial Day for what it is and what it truly stands for, not just burgers and a great sale at the mall.

I want that responsibility to teach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phalanx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes in life there are problems that aren't really worth bothering to solve.

</div></div>

My point was you can spend your time this weekend remembering them and rejoicing in what their sacrifice has allowed or you can spend your time railing against a corporate ad campaign.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phalanx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes in life there are problems that aren't really worth bothering to solve.

</div></div>

My point was you can spend your time this weekend remembering them and rejoicing in what their sacrifice has allowed or you can spend your time railing against a corporate ad campaign. </div></div>

Sorry I took it wrong Ratbert - I guess it's just a sensitive subject with me. Have a safe weekend-

It is all about us taking our own responsibility of raising our kids, 3 Army NG guys were eating at a diner in Jersey, I had my 7 yr old thank them for their service, it meant the world to them, they also gave her a patch, a simple thing we instill in our kids should be respect, for themselves and others, the world would be a better place.

This is the response from Lowes that I received earlier in regard to my email and those of others. Its nice to see they listen. Kudos for Lowes:

Replied On 5/27/2010 7:52:20 PM----------------------------------------

Good Evening Ed,

Thanks for your note and feedback. We understand your point and agree that Memorial Day is an important commemoration for all Americans - a holiday first and foremost to honor and to remember. We acknowledge your point and have changed our ad to not imply that Memorial Day is about anything other than America’s men and women of the military. This revised ad will begin running tomorrow.

I thought you might also be interested to know that Lowe’s:

1. On the front page of the May 27 circular, offered a 10% discount to all veterans, military personnel and their immediate families;

2. Made the same offer on Lowes.com;

3. Will be running a military salute with Team #48 this weekend at the Coca-Cola 600 NASCAR race;

4. Established the Lowe’s USO Family Fund and hosted an event for military families last week.

We’re proud of our track record of supporting and honoring the military. Thanks for pointing this miscue out to us. I believe wee have taken the appropriate steps to resolve the issue.

Have a happy Memorial Day.

Sue
Lowe's Customer Care

Wow....Lowes just got a little more of my business...even though their closest store to me sucks
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow....Lowes just got a little more of my business...even though their closest store to me sucks
laugh.gif
</div></div>

We don't call it "Slowe's" around here for nothing. It <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> nice to see that they jumped straight on the issue with the website and got it corrected. That says something for their integrity and the way their company listens to people.

They don't advertise it but they always have 10% off for Active Duty, Reserve, and Retirees.

I have visitors coming today.
Gotta go hang my flag on the gatepost to greet them properly.
The American flag on it's own right, and lower, on the other post the the great battle flag of the Confederacy....

I never knew about the 10% discount, but it was mentioned at my last stop at Lowes (150 miles from my home so I don't get there often). Saved me 8$ at this visit.
That was nice.