• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LPVO Scope Selection Help

Hesperidins

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2018
What is the platform for the scope? Lever
What cartridge are you shooting? 45-70 Gov
What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting and target
What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, limited lowlight
What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 300 yards
Are there any specific specifications you would like...
Required: 1-6x, FFP, mil-mil, red illumination
Want: zero stop, .1 mil click value
What is the price range you can afford? MSRP <$2k

The above info is based on the primary usage. There could be secondary, uncommon usage on a 223 Rem AR-15, but that's not really how I'm shopping.

I understand there are those that 1) disagree with a scope on a 45-70 and 2) disagree with FFP in a LPVO. I also understand .1 mil click value is silly for a 45-70 and given I won't dial much. Yes, the above feature set *really* limits the pool of contenders. I believe I've found them all. I'm hoping you folks will bring to light something that maybe I haven't yet uncovered. At the point the top contender is the Steiner T6Xi 1-6x24 (#5103). It matches everything including zero stop and .1 clicks and can be had for several hundred below my MSRP cap.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Are you sure you want an LPVO for lowlight hunting? The objective is going to hinder you, vs something with a 30+mm objective. A 3-9 or 2.5-10 would likely make a big difference. If you really need the 1x, you could always use an offset or top mounted red dot.

Are you sure you want an LPVO for lowlight hunting? The objective is going to hinder you, vs something with a 30+mm objective. A 3-9 or 2.5-10 would likely make a big difference. If you really need the 1x, you could always use an offset or top mounted red dot.

While I agree with you, yes, I need 1x and anything that goes beyond ~6x (in my opinion) is getting pretty unwieldy for the rifle (Marlin 1895 Trapper - it's a small rifle and as noted in my original info it's a 45-70 Gov). No doubt an offset or top mounted red dot solution, as you suggested, would work, but it's not appealing to me.

I’m in a similar boat as the OP. I have looked at a lot of 1-6, 1-8, 2-10 ish scopes. In my opinion an objective over 32mm starts to look odd on these lever guns (mine is a marlin .308mx). I previously had a T4Xi on mine until that moved to my 300blk. So that leaves LPVO’s and a few 2-10/12x32 for me. It’s been a tough decision.

I’m looking at a Burris xtr ii 1-8, PA PL 1-8, Vortex 2-10x32, Delta Stryker 1-6

Trust me, I love my LPVO on my .44 Mag, and on my .300 BLK's, but why FFP for a .45-70? That's not a LR cartridge that would justify needing FFP. an SFP would be just fine.

I'm running a Vortex Strike Eagle Gen2 1-8x24 30mm SFP on my Marlin 1894 SS .44 Mag. LOVE IT! On that rig chambered in that cartridge, that's more than enough scope.

6BDFD689-2A55-448B-9F4B-31EAA1B76A7B.jpeg
2A5ADFE4-2523-4148-B015-4AF70A58105C.jpeg
7C334623-047D-4046-9BE1-1911307326C2.jpeg

And I'm running a new Primary Arms SLx 1-10x28 SFP 34mm with the ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle on my Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK. It's an amazing scope for the money. The MIL reticle is nice, because it allows it to be used on other things, without having to worry about the drops not lining up like most BDC reticles that are designed for only 1 cartridge.

B91915F8-FE41-4DAA-8386-C9C12A6291CD.jpeg

Reactions: txsportsman
...why FFP for a .45-70? That's not a LR cartridge that would justify needing FFP. an SFP would be just fine.

I'm running a Vortex Strike Eagle Gen2 1-8x24 30mm SFP on my Marlin 1894 SS .44 Mag. LOVE IT! On that rig chambered in that cartridge, that's more than enough scope.

And I'm running a new Primary Arms SLx 1-10x28 SFP 34mm with the ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle on my Ruger American Ranch in .300 BLK. It's an amazing scope for the money. The MIL reticle is nice, because it allows it to be used on other things, without having to worry about the drops not lining up like most BDC reticles that are designed for only 1 cartridge.

I hear you and I understand. I even commented in my original post about it...

"...1) disagree with a scope on a 45-70 and 2) disagree with FFP in a LPVO."

But to answer your question of why it's that I am changing all scopes to FFP with mil-mil. This one will be the only oddity in terms of features versus use. Also, I'm considering the small possibility that this scope may also go on another rifle with which the features are more suited. In the end whatever cons one opines about with features versus use, to me, are at most trivial.

I hear you and I understand. I even commented in my original post about it...

"...1) disagree with a scope on a 45-70 and 2) disagree with FFP in a LPVO."

But to answer your question of why it's that I am changing all scopes to FFP with mil-mil. This one will be the only oddity in terms of features versus use. Also, I'm considering the small possibility that this scope may also go on another rifle with which the features are more suited. In the end whatever cons one opines about with features versus use, to me, are at most trivial.
Honestly, for a lever-gun, the simpler the better. I would buy specifically for THAT gun, or that type of gun. And then later, buy whatever LPVO you plan on running on something else later. Just my $0.02 from swapping around hundreds of scopes over the years finding what works best on what.

Trust me, sit down, get out your scratch pad, and make a list of "MUST HAVES/NECESSITIES", and "WANTS". MUST HAVES/NEEDS will often outweigh the WANTS.

When it comes down to a functional big-bore Levergun, simpler and tougher is better...And typically with optics, simpler is tougher. You will want a point & click interface. No dialing. No exposed turrets. A zero MOA base. 100 yard battle zero. And a standard MIL or MOA reticle allowing you to learn your drops for your distances with your rifle's preferred load.

There are a bunch of different ones made in Japan/Germany etc you can pick from. Vortex 1-6 for example. Leupold. Trijicon. Steiner.

A duplex zeroed at 200 should be 2-3" high at 100 and where the crosshairs get thick at 300 using a 4x magnification. That would be your basic hunting scope.

Reactions: FuhQ