• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

LR 308 "remodeling" Project buffer question

Chris K

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2007
Minnesota
Once upon a time, I picked up a 20" heavy BBL DPMS LR308, it had a short hand guard and an A2 stock. Not a bad gun but I quickly realized that it was one heavy SOB for its relatively small package. LR-308B in my opinion a very basic rifle that no one put alot of thought in to.

I decided to remodel it around the receivers.

I went to a carbine stock, 14" railed handguard, picked up a 16" Rainier BBL and built a handy little 308 for hunting and general purpose shooting and having fun.

Heres the question...I have found in searching that DPMS uses 2 different length/ weight buffers for their 308s, I cant find a definitive answer for what spring and buffer I need to get this project shooting.

If there is anyone that can get me a solid answer on this I'd sure appreciate it. Hopefully it can be running by the time deer season rolls around.

C_K

I wish I could help you out more, but have you called DPMS?

I've got an LR308B that I love after adding a PRI rifle length handguard, Geissele SSA and Ergo grip. Kind of looks like a Mk 12 Mod 0 now. I will agree though that from the factory they seem void of a lot of thought.

You basically have two options.

1. You can pick up a 7.75" buffer tube (a Vltor A5 length) and run any standard ar15 carbine buffer with a length of 3.25". You can choose any weight buffer you feel is most appropriate for your set up. Some examples of 7.75" buffer tubes for collapsible stocks are the Vltor A5 and the POF 7 position which are both under $50 I beleive, and them you have the PWS EBT for the 308 that runs $199. The only buffers that won't work with the A5 length are the JP Silent Captured Spring units.

2. You can pick up any standard 7" ar15 buffer tube and run a 2.50" 308 carbine buffer. This would limit your buffer options significantly, but may not matter much. You can run a JP 308 buffer with this set up and use the optional spring pack to adjust tension and tune the rifle. The other buffer options are Slash's Heavy buffers - they make a 5.5oz 308 carbine buffer, the Kynshot, or a std 308 carbine buffer. Wolff, SpringCo, Slash, and JP make springs for this set up should you choose to go with the Kynshot or Slash.

Hope that helps!

Had you gone with a standard length buttstock, I'd have recommended the JP silent captured recoil spring system JP - Buffer Springs and Silent Captured Springs. It is very effective for smoothing out the recoil impulse on large platform AR's.

Since you opted for a carbine buttstock, I'll second the recommendation of the Slash heavy carbine buffer Heavy Buffers | Products | .308 Carbine. I picked up a heavy buffer and a recoil spring from Slash awhile back for my old 16" Armalite AR-10 with carbine stock and it has worked beautifully for reducing the felt recoil.