• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LR308 Lightweight BCG with Suppressor?

gpr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
I am curious what is the result of using a light weight BCG with a suppressor? Everyone always recommends a heavy buffer when shooting suppressed to help slow down the bolt unlocking and bcg cycle speed. Will a light weight BCG cause issues when suppressed?

i am working on building a 6.5cm large frame AR, 20" barrel with +2" rifle gas system with adjustable gas block. i will be using a HP bolt and am trying to build a sub 7lbs gun for hunting.

The other large frame gun i have is very heavy, and even with all the weight of a bull barrel it kicks harder then my 6lbs bolt guns. Trying to minimize recoil and make for a nice shooting gun, that doesn't tear up brass, is accurate and actually usable for hunting.

I use a JP lightweight carrier for my suppressed 308. Turn the gas way down and it works extremely well. I only shoot it suppressed though.

My lightweight carrier does fine in my 308 suppressed. It’s pretty light too; 1/2 oz less than an M16 carrier. I use a carbine buffer with it; a heavy buffer would defeat the purpose.

Proper gas adjustment is the key.

Anyone with experience on the 6.5cm as it seems to have much higher pressure then a 308.

i think the HP bolt is going to help this go around as well as i was having issues with primers with relatively mild loads. these ar-10 seem to be just hard on brass in general when reloading.

I used a 2aArmament Ti adjustable carrier with a JPSCS heavy, and it cycled well, and recoil impulse was pleasant. This was done in my lightweight 308 gasser

Anyone with experience on the 6.5cm as it seems to have much higher pressure then a 308.

i think the HP bolt is going to help this go around as well as i was having issues with primers with relatively mild loads. these ar-10 seem to be just hard on brass in general when reloading.
I know some people repeat that here, but the 6.5 CM does NOT "have higher pressure" than the 308. Unless you are loading it to higher pressure of course, which some are.

It does make higher pressure at the same gas port location, due to a smaller bore and slower powders, but that's why it should have longer gas systems than the 308. Gas system length and port size are pretty important and are cartridge specific, but early in the 6.5 CM AR days some manufacturers were just trying 308 specs and that may have caused some of the confusion.

Regardless, I've had no issues with a LW carrier in 6.5 CM either. Both work fine. Proper gas tuning is the key.

Reactions: bfoosh006