• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LRF for steel at 1 mile

As far as I know, steel at that distance requires a pretty spendy LRF.

I have the Leica 2000, 2700 and a Terrapin.. The short answer is no, start looking at the 2700. The 2000 is a good LRF, I think better than the Kilo 2000 or 2200 (IMO). If you're talking say 2 MOA size steel you're prolly more realsitically looking at 1200-ish to be consistent under "most conditions" (and prolly with a tri pod) Will it reach a mile, sure. In good conditions, I've had readings at 2200+ but on cars, barns, yada yada.. I just picked up the 2700 this week and so far its amazing. Gonna be testing along side the Terrapin soon.

A Swarovski Laserguide will do it but you have to be incredibly steady, the readings with them come a lot slower than most LRF's. Great units though, discontinued but you can pick them up used for under $600 and they have phenomenal glass too.

My Terrapin will do it and then some without having to mount it to anything.

My Sig Kilo 2200 will do it, but again you have to be incredibly steady.

Can't comment on any of the recent Leica units but if it were me I'd go with the 2700 to be safe. If for some reason it doesn't work, resale value is almost always better on the higher end models.

My terrapin will do it no problem *obviously*.

However, the interesting thing is my Leica 1600b will do it as well. I usually have to try 5-10 times, but it will tag it. It does seem like have always had much more favorable results with my 1600b than many others though. Regardless, I wouldn't call it reliable out to that distance.

Reactions: alaskalanche
I put an in depth review up on the 2700 on another site, I'll probably cross post it here too, but long and short, I can't say about a mile (no access to steel at a mile), but hitting 1 MOA plates to 800 was no problem, and 22 inch plates at 1125, easily done in full sun and hand held. I also hit a stop sign at a 30 degree angle and a 2 foot construction sign at over 2300 yards, in early afternoon with partly cloudy skies consistently, but these are really reflective of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stpilot12
Am I missing something? I can see having a rf for short distance or your shooting matches. Distance Tool is stupid accurate and I never hear anything about it. I seriously can't even imagine spending that kind of $ when there is a free app that WORKS.

Reactions: Bradu
IMG_5710.PNG

That's a mile section. You just drop pins. I was kinda skeptical at first so I checked stuff that were known distances.

I'm sure there's places it wouldn't work very well because of lack of service or lack of land marks but for the poor guy it's pretty good.

Reactions: Ericsl2
I'm sure there's places it wouldn't work very well because of lack of service or lack of land marks but for the poor guy it's pretty good.
I know how accurate it is. I have used it but it’s really hard to see the steel from the sat view where I am shooting. I’m going to give it another try. That’s why I asked about the 2000b. For around $500 if it would be capable I’d say it’s a good buy since I can use it for other things as well. Up into the $800 range is getting above what I’m willing to spend though.

jpgolffl,

While I would definitely recommend some of the new RF's, it took me 2 years to finally be able to pull the trigger on my first one, so I totally get where you are. I don't know if you are setting your own steel, or whether it is set in place and you have to take what you can get....but if you can set your own, you could put it in such a way that rather than having to range the actual steel, you can range something very close to it to get your range. That might do the trick...or if it's set already, perhaps there is a nearby tree or backstop...something you can get a read off of that is close enough to the target but big enough to make it work with a lower cost solution.

Granted, I have little experience, but this is my thought. If you are ranging steel, a human placed it. If it was someone else, it is probably a range and you know the distance. If you placed it, gps will tell you where it is, or a hike will. Dropping pins seems like such an easy solution that I don't see a serious need. Is there an AR-500 tree that sprouts plates and I have never heard of it? If so, I need some seeds for sure.

You first. Guy stated his limit was around $800 not $8000. What's your posts point?

SWFA you can get the Leica 2700B for $810 right now...likely do what the OP is asking for, for a mere $10 over his budget. ;)

Just got one to upgrade from my 1600B.

Apps are great for square ranges with cell service. Not so great for field matches.

Under 800 I'd go with a Kilo 2200MR

SWFA you can get the Leica 2700B for $810 right now...likely do what the OP is asking for, for a mere $10 over his budget. ;)

Just got one to upgrade from my 1600B.
Really was hoping the 2000b would do it at $500. As with all things in precision rifle my budget got inflated without my knowledge lol.

Reactions: alaskalanche
Really was hoping the 2000b would do it at $500. As with all things in precision rifle my budget got inflated without my knowledge lol.

Save up a few more bucks... Sell a kid.. sell a kidney... The 2700 is worth it. $810 is great price. Of course, this is technology, the 3700 will be out in 6 months and the 2700 will be $499.. hahahahaha. :oops:

Granted, I have little experience, but this is my thought. If you are ranging steel, a human placed it. If it was someone else, it is probably a range and you know the distance. If you placed it, gps will tell you where it is, or a hike will. Dropping pins seems like such an easy solution that I don't see a serious need. Is there an AR-500 tree that sprouts plates and I have never heard of it? If so, I need some seeds for sure.

Here is something longrange enthusiasts may wat to try.

I shoot out to 2km in the desert west of Salt Lake and I will be going longer. I have a Sig 2400 that I really like and use for hunting. It won’t work at “Terrapin distances” and my shooting buddy ( Doctor Longrange) with the Terrapin isn’t always available to go shooting.

I use Google Earth Pro with Garmin Earthmate on my iPhone to set targets. I have a spot where we park the vehicles and set up our targets. I can get the Latitude and Longitude of the spot where I place my ground pad. I then pick spots down range on Google Earth and measure the distance from my ground pad to the targets using the “ruler tool”. I can use the google earth tool “view elevation profile” and see if I have a clear line of sight from my shooting position to the target.

When I’ve decided on specific target, I can copy and paste the logitude and latitude into Garmin Earthmate. I can then download those locations to my iPhone.

On the day we are shooting, I can drive to my target locations in a side-by-side and know I’ve reached the exact spot using Earthmate. Earthmate works with or without cell service (I use Earthmate for hunting as well).

I’ve attached two photos to demonstrate; 1. Very sunny Shooting conditions that are challenging for range finders and 2. A target we set up last Sunday at 1,670 meters (1 mile). I used a Kestrel Elite and plugged in the range. My first shot last Sunday was 2 meters right (lots of wind and didn’t adjust for wind) but perfect distance which I believe demonstrates the accuracy of my distance calculstions using Google Earth and the Applied Ballistics software. If they are wrong, the are both wrong the same amount.

My point is that this technique works well and I can go as long as there is desert. Now I just need a TACOM Charlie ?
7904AC5D-0B7A-421C-890A-2309C9DA8963.jpeg

Attachments

• 7A64CF2C-783A-49B7-9235-E35C0952AA97.jpeg
    7A64CF2C-783A-49B7-9235-E35C0952AA97.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Reactions: Whiskeywater1
I have an app called "Measuring Tape" it seems to have a resolution of 1-3 yards. It costs $3 for iphone.

I haven’t used Measuring Tape but would like to try it. Is it “Idiot Proof”? I am not super tech savvy.
About as idiot proof as it gets. There is literally one single button. You stand at one point and push "reset" then go to the point you want to measure to. It gives your distance in Miles, Yards, Feet, Kilometers and Meters simultaneously. It has a compass needle that points to magnetic north. That is it, and that is all.

I had the Leica B-2700 ranging IPSC size steel target at 1600 yds (off a small $15 tripod, in full sun) this past Sunday at Frank Galli's Precision rifle course in Colorado. Got a return 4/5 tries with the same yardage. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Stpilot12
well, I wasn't impressed with the sig2200 on steel out to 1000. we have a "barn door" size piece of steel at 1000 yds at my range and I was not able to regularly hit it with my 2200 holding it against the bench for stability. it wasn't tripod stable, but I felt that if I couldn't hit a 4'x4' piece of steel it wasn't going to do what I needed. I honestly had problems with it past 600 on 66% IPSC steel and other plates we have on the range. So I returned it. The only one right now im looking at is the leica 2700. Although I really want a LRF that is integrated into a pair of nice binos, and if it would talk to my kestrel, that would be the cats meow

I have never tried the Sig 2200. The Sig 2400 is good but doesn't work as well as my friend's old Terrapin which is automatic out to 2,500 plus meters. I would like to get something that is reliable out to 3,500 meters with blue tooth capability that doesn't cost as much as the PLR-25. The Sig 2400 is terrific for hunting because my shots are typically going to be < 1000 meters. I too would like a pair of range finding binoculars such as the Swarovski EL 12X50 binoculars (or comparable quality optic) with a range finder that is as good as the old Vectronix Terrapin and included AB software and bluetooth so it could communicate with my phone and Kestrel - All for < $3,000. That may happen someday......

It appears that the range finder market is becoming more competitive. New products are coming out and prices are falling. There is a good explanation of LRF performance (why some LRFs are better than others) in Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz that was written by Nick Vitalbo (see Chapter 8 Page 173). Nick is an engineer and used to work at Lockheed developing lasers for communication. Very helpful side by side comparison tests (under the same light conditions) of all the major brands on the market (22 LRFs in all). It is a little dated because it doesn't include the new Terrapin X but it does include the old Terrapin, Sig 2200 and 2400, Leica as well as high end LRFs such as the Wilcox Raptar V2. It is worth buying the book for the LRF section alone.

There is a good explanation of LRF performance (why some LRFs are better than others) in Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz that was written by Nick Vitalbo (see Chapter 8 Page 173). Very helpful side by side comparison tests (under the same light conditions) of all the major brands on the market (22 LRFs in all). It is a little dated because it doesn't include the new Terrapin X but it does include the old Terrapin, Sig 2200 and 2400, Leica as well as high end LRFs such as the Wilcox Raptar V2. It is worth buying the book for the LRF section alone.

Looks like I'll be buying another one of Litz's books. Thanks.

For the distance tool guys, you may run into a place where you get absolutely nothing out of your phone signal wise. The fix for this, outside of a LRF, is the Nomad Trimble with FFS that allows you to either laser the target or mark a new target by where you are standing and save it as 'Target Y'. It will save Target Y's exact location, elevation, everything and then when you select Target Y as your target, regardless of where you are, it will tell you the distance, elevation and direction of the target for you.

Great tool if shooting at the same spots, or going back to somewhere where you have marked targets. Also fantastic for pre registering artillery sites and using them later.

Divorce put me out of the running for saving up for a Spotter 60 and PLRF-15C so I had to get creative. Found this on ebay:

Litton LRR-104 Mk5 Ranges 40m - 10km, within +/- 5m @ 10km. $400. Gotta be patient and check everyday, they pop up from time to time. May cost more, $800 may be more common. It was $10,000 new so either price is great really.

Most are in great shape, some sold for parts may actually work fine, they may not be taking the filter cap off (you can ask and find out fast enough). Very well made, it's made for an infantryman so it's tough. I'm pleased with it. Has a threaded boss on the bottom with a SS threaded insert and attaches to tripod mounts.