• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LTR .308 to 1000yrds

newby

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2008
Rep of Ireland
Hi lads, after a long time waitin i may finally be able to get my .308, my question is with the 20" barrel will the ltr do 1000yrds? Does anyone have a factory rifle to 1000yrds? or how have you modified it? are you handloading? and any pics would be appreciated!!!

Re: LTR .308 to 1000yrds

For casual shooting: no problem. However, a 308 is on the hairy edge at 1K which is why competition shooters favor long barrels: at least 26" and 30" is common. As always, depends on what you plan on doing and what your standards are. Here is a typical example: 8000 feet up at 90 degrees, the 20" stays supersonic past 1200. Sea level at 30 degrees and now your bullet goes sub-sonic around 900.

target shooting and deer is what it will be used for, if im honest mostly deer!

Will not be a problem to run it at 1K. I have one and 45 gr Varget behind a 175 SMK in Win. brass was doing just fine for me at 1K last weekend. Enjoy that LTR...It's a fun setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armourer.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">target shooting and deer is what it will be used for, if im honest mostly deer! </div></div>

Then, yes, the LTR is a great choice for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armourer.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">target shooting and deer is what it will be used for, if im honest mostly deer! </div></div>

You wouldn't take a deer at 1K with a 308 though right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armourer.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">target shooting and deer is what it will be used for, if im honest mostly deer! </div></div>

You wouldn't take a deer at 1K with a 308 though right? </div></div>

I would shoot at a deer at 1000 with a .223. They are just rats with long legs, I don't know why people think it is fine to plink at prairie dogs or wild hogs at ridiculous ranges, but heaven forbid you try and shoot a precious "game animal" at long range.

JMHO.
-dan.

I agree with you deersniper, I shoot them at long range now just for the practice
grin.gif

i think theres a guy on youtube that hits a 1000 yard target with his LTR.

I recently purchased a 20" LTR and have been told that it will reach 1,000 yards without any issues. My bolt is with AZ Precision right now. As soon as it arrives, I'll get out to the range and ring it out. I think that the LTR will serve you well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armourer.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">target shooting and deer is what it will be used for, if im honest mostly deer! </div></div>

You wouldn't take a deer at 1K with a 308 though right? </div></div>

No i wouldnt shoot a deer at 1000yrds, thats a personal thing when i shoot, i dont shoot any animal at the limits of any round.

Thanks for all the replies lads!!

I shoot a similar set up at deer and targets. I've dropped tracer through a tank hatch (redundant hulk on a range) with it at about 950yds. Shot a number of deer with it this season mostly under 100yards. The closest was 6yards from the bottom of the high seat.
You'll be fine for your intended use.

Maybe, maybe not.
What loads? Want a reasonable choice?
does it have a "slow" barrel? (could be 150fps slower than another)
Looking for MOA or smaller accuracy?
Want to reload at safe pressures?

If you are looking at 2moa or greater targets then you should be ok. Under than and it's a risk.
JBM and real world speeds/sane pressures will set you on the right path. As will real world velocity loss figures for shorter barrels.
Forum posts saying "I can hit something at this range" will not.

spend 30 min inputing data, understand you need a margin above the speed of sound so it works under all conditions.

OTOH, you can just listen to guys who ignore little things like the transonic/subsonic accuracy drop, that not all barrels can push these speeds in a safe manner (often ignored point) and other facts and just accept what is popular is right without understanding why in many cases it's a bad move.

Hunting = NO. Far too much distance for it.

We shoot them to 1K at school. Choose the right round and gas on.

No, I would not shoot a deer at that range. Why? Because I believe in clean kills. If I can't be sure of a quick kill on an animal I hold fire.

Sure it's a personal decision, but I don't like seeing animals suffer at my hand. If that's how you get your kicks, Karma has something for you.

targets will be out to 1k, deer not even half that!! just wanted to know could 20"s do it, ive always read and been told 26" or longer for 1k, figured the more experienced guys on here would know the limits!!!