• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing ltwt cook stove

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I have a couple of buddy's going to Alaska in Sept on a 14 day float trip. They are in need of a ltwt, efficient stove that is capable of boiling 1 qt of water at a time. We don't know crap about cookstoves. What brand and what type of fuel would you recommend.

Re: ltwt cook stove

All I use is Jetboil. Not sure if that would be big enough for you guys.

I think the version I have is the Flash, or something like that. Light-weight, easy, and very very fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddeerhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look into MSR, they carry all kinds of back packing gear. I use their "pocket rocket" stove and it works great.

Check out this link.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/category</div></div>

Big fan of the Pocket Rocket myself. Fast, simple, light, and compact. Super hot and will boil a quart in no time. I've used mine to boil Dungeness Crab in a gallon size pot.

I'll throw my vote to JetBoil. I like that the cooking pot/cup locks onto the stove no worries about knocking it off and losing your dinner. I've used other systems but have really liked this one.

Back packing, or skiing, I like the MSR white gas stoves.

However when floating, you can carry a bit more wieight. I use to do a lot of drifting down the Tanana River Moose hunting.

The best stove "for outdoor" cooking was an empty one gal white gas can. Lay the can flat so the pour spout is on the high side. Maybe ever cut around it making the hole about twice the size. Now cut the bottom half of the can (oppisite of the pour spout) so you have an openning on the bottom and lip on the top.

Now you have the stove. There is no problem finding fire wood on the rivers. Build a fire in the can, most of the smoke will be sucked out of the pour spout. The lip on the the other side will keep the smoke down. You can do a lot of cooking on that sucker. A lot more then you can cook on a little back pack stove. Don't take long to cool off so you can throw it in the boat or raft. It really doesn't weigh more then the back pack stove and its fuel. Just bulkier.

You always have wind on these rivers. Just angle the stove so the wind is pushing through the open side and the smoke will come out the pour spout which you have angled away from you. The wind doesn't blow out the fire like it does on back packing stoves.

Don't need any tools to fashion the stove. I've never used anything but a pocket knife to cut the tin.

How many in the group? The larger the group means white gas if toting a stove. 2 weeks means white gas. White gas stove means learn how to fix it, repair it, make it burn when it will not, take plenty of spare parts. Separate the fuel from everything and double / triple protect your kit and especially food from the fuel. Plan on 6oz of fuel per day. Remember 14 days can turn into 17 without warning.

Where or how to they plan to put in? This matters due to bush plane DOD flight rules with fuel. Will they pass by a village and will the village have their fuel. It will not be cheap.
When I was guiding and all the DOD rules came out, only MSR and Prmus fuel cans had the DOD listing for approved flight.

Are they hiring a package float? Stove maybe included.

Why do you need to boil 1qt of water at a time? Freeze dried meals? I hope nope, way better options.

I would and did use my stove as a backup and would burn wood when on water ways. Carry a grate to place food on. The Blazo stove Craig refers use to be quite popular but for me and mine, we just stacked wood and used a grate. My wife filled cast iron pot with chili, stew or soup and duct taped it closed wrapped in plastic that have many duties once off the pot, superb first day meal and breakfast, then use the cast iron right on the fire. Wife would also freeze this type of food in freezer bags, would last up to near a week in the Alaska backcounty. One of my perks for my clients was this type of food in a backcountry camp. Do not fry fish!

If you require a lightweight efficient stove to tote like you ask, only one option; a cartridge / canister stove sometimes call a piggyback. Simple, fast and reliable, and very efficient. I am not a Jeboil fan due to they are just a Primus burner on a proprietary windscreen and they are not as fast and as efficient as Jetboil's tests dictate side by side with my MSR Superfly using Jetboils test parameters. Carry Primus pounders for fuel, I think they are pressured to 450 if I remember right. Leave the pressurized 100 / 110 and 300 / 330 at home. The pounders will last 4-5 days, all depending on how good you are and what you are going. Primus makes fingers that snap onto the bottom of fuel can for legs to stabilize the stove.

have fun and good luck

Thanks for ya'lls input. 4 are going. Flying in to Kotzebue then boarding a float plane. Can carry 125lbs ea. Float boats are furnished. Been lts of conversation and debate on what and how much can be carried in your 125lb allotment. Have Caribou tags so planning on eating lots of that. I was thinking of boiling a qt of water at a time for 4 cups of coffee, or 2 cups of coffee and 2 dehydrated meals? No doubt they will have lots of story's when they come back! krw

The days of sign the card for 125# pound are long gone, my last few trips our kit actually got weighed but so is flying around the state on Reever and Mark Air with my sword and knife as carry on.

As far as what to take and weight, throw everything you want to take in a pile. Then go through piece by piece to see what is needed and what is wanted and what is necessary. Find kit that has multiple uses. Check the weight and go through it again and again until you are the 125.

Does the bush jockey have something established? My guy would fly fuel and such into the area without passengers. At the end of the season, fly it out without passengers. At the time, there was no restriction on fuel when not carrying passengers. There was a way around this but like I said, been out of the guiding bizz for 10 years now and things have changed.

I believe a small pot on a fire will boil water for drinks am and pm. Take MSR Superfly, burn test it but they always work, as a back up or daytime boil up. Once burned, they have no fuel residue like white gas. Call you hire and ask about fuel though before leaving and flying.

Freeze dried meals for 14+ days will be sickening, at least to me and my kind. A few as back up I did tote. I suggest store bought dry food like soup, hamburger helper, rice, potato flakes, etc. Cheaper and taste way better than FD meals.

I left the state and landed in Seattle with white gas stove. No issue leaving but the goons in Seattle freaked out and took it...never told me until I arrived to open my pack and saw the bright orange card, no stove!

Any questions I would be glad to help.

I'm with 45.308 on this one. I'd leave the Freeze Dryed food for the hippys. I ate too much of that crap in the army.

Besides, making your own, is much cheaper. Instant mashed patatos are cheap, easy to fix, and is great if you chop up and fry rabits, add some dried package soup to your taste, (willing to bet there are millions of show shoes where you're going). Also I like bread, so I aways made of some bisquit mix and carried with me. Oak meal is good to.

I also use the MSR Firefly, it's as good as 45.308 says, Over the last 40 years I tried them all.

I also agree with the ideal of fires in the morning and evening. Nothing beats setting on the river watching a fire while boiling coffee.

You mentioned Sept, it may be early, but I did a 100 mile winter cross country ski trip east of Kotz, several years ago. The natives trapped wolves along the rivers. They would often kill and hang a whole caribou over their set up. If froozen we would cut steaks off their bait and have a good meal over a camp fire.

You'll probably be too eary for that. Get your drinking water from the little streams running into the river, normally cleaner, but still boil before drinking. Beaver feaver ain't fun.

Take a pack rod, and some tinfoil to cook fish.

Sounds like a fun trip.

There is not much fever in the waters of Alaska due to how cold the cold the water is and especially if the water is flowing. I never picked it up with all the time I spent out in the backcountry but...around villages and such? Can we say honey buckets. Boil water and leave the filter at home.

I really doubt there is much small game around. The area we hunted was all but void due to the wolf population and it has gotten worse since 2001 my last real hunt. We killed a couple Ptarmigan for camp food day two is all, when in years past, we had hares and feathers every day.

Pack fly or spinning rod would be ideal.

I carried dried butter and sprinkled it on food. Bagels or logan bread can survive and nothing like a fried bagel in the am with coffee.

Pringles were another favorite and the empty can can double for many camp uses.

Whatever your big meal plans are go with it. A primary stove/fire cooking set up of some sort will do you guys well. I would rock a piece of grill and some montreal steak seasoning for the boo/fish at the least.

For the coffee, and small fast meals on the go its hard to beat the Jet boil. They are fast compact and everything is right there for you. I just use mine for boiling water, its either , Coffee (sbucks singles), instant oatmeal, or a mountain house meal. Just boil with it and it is always clean, and very handy. Only for boiling water, I never cook in mine. This is a huge upgrade for me, in my mountain pack I have used a pepsi can stove for the last 12 years for this purpose, 1 cup boiling water at a time is about all I need for 2-3 day trips up.

There are a ton of wiz bang stoves out there, but for a fast cup of boiling water the JB is hard to beat and the convenience of having everything self contained is very nice while in the bush where you are constantly traveling.

I would also strongly reccomend a good water filter and not rely on boiling drinking water, but thats just me. I have a buddy that picked up giardia somewhere here in AK, yeah chances are low but............ Worth the weight to bring, filter everything that will not be boiled.

As an Alaska, I vote Kaladi. Have the bumper sticker. Cafe del Mundo #2 but no way ever I mention the those bully guys.

When it comes to weight and of course my opinion, I believe a filter has little value Vs boiling water in a pot that you already are taking, and using a fire with wood that is available. I never could understand carrying a filter in Alaska. Use a coffee filter / the little coffee bag to strain the water. Once used up, burn it.

Freeze dried meals not only taste terrible in my and many other opinions, they add weight when flying and packing the bush, and what to do with the empty foil packages. Burned them too.

Using dried foods like soups and meals, place them in a freezer bag. Sharpie on the outside what it is and any directions you may need. Use a coffee cup or spoon to scoop out the dried meal, place the scooped meal with the hydrating water in a cooking bag. Place the cooking bag with meal and water inside your pot along with the water you plan to boil as your drinking water. Boil water and the meal at the same time. This saves fuel, time and weight to include clean up. The cooking bag can be reused, clean it with pieces of bagel or bread and eat the bread. On our super light trips like alpine goat, we ate from the cooking bag.

My Superfly stove with 330 pressure fuel can, lighter, tin foil wind screen, cup will fit inside a 1.5 liter ti pot and weighs less than the Jetboil, boils more water at a time, is faster boiling water and just as easy to twist, flick and burn. No argument but having and testing a Jetboil, I just did not buy into their advertising. Its a good system though but better exist.

esbit ... uh. we got that issued. nice as long as you have tons of those small white bricks. but a pain in the neck to use. nor is the smell very appealing. also - get a mug/cup or something to suffocate the flame. otherwise you use up one entire brick per whatever you wanted to heat up.

bottom line - i'm not really a fan of esbit. but if you really have to get something cold and wet burning ... you can store 2 pieces in your pack.