• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

lubricants for SA's, AR's in particular

Re: lubricants for SA's, AR's in particular

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought - Mobil 1 makes a special blend for V-twin motorcycles that is designed for higher temps and has extra additives to keep contaminant deposits from hardening. </div></div>Might be less expensive to just go after Mobil 1, or any automotive oil, that is diesel rated...as they are also made for higher temperatures and higher pressures. Motorcycle marketing usually leads to some higher prices...but diesels are usually for working.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GONIF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tryed everything from CLP to Rem oil ,and I have found that nothing works any better then Mobil 1. I have never hade a problem with it in any AR . </div></div>2nd that one!synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1 doesn't carbonize up and clean up easier and works very well ! 15w50 is my lub for my weapons ....test it yourself !

Re: lubricants for SA's, AR's in particular MOBIL1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a stupid question (not a first for me by the way) Anyone using Slick50 engine lubricant additive on their semis? </div></div>that is snake oil ...bad stuff for any thing ...run away fast!!

For you synthetic guys try Rotella T synthethic diesel oil. Its specifically formulated to prevent carbon buildup on metal parts and can handle high pressure environments better than any auto oil (diesels produce more blow-by). Use it a few times and see how easy it is to clean your BCG...you'll forget that Mobil even makes oil
wink.gif

Wow, BattleAxe!! I think you have a potential career path in writing scripts for commercials. As I read your post, I heard one of those TV voices narrating it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twadsw01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, BattleAxe!! I think you have a potential career path in writing scripts for commercials. As I read your post, I heard one of those TV voices narrating it. </div></div>
Uh...no but I appreciate the endorsement
grin.gif

I use TW-25b grease in my handguns and boltguns. It works well and stays in place. Most any of the better quality oils I use in the AR's. They get cleaned every couple thousand rounds anyway.

Guns will run dirty and wet, but not dirty and dry. Just keep pouring the oil in as much as you need to so it'll keep working for you.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just keep pouring the oil in as much as you need to so it'll keep working for you.</div></div>

I think this is the most important thing. Whenever I'm having a practice day, every five or six magazines, I take my BCG out, squirt lube on the bearing surfaces, cam pin channel, and lugs, then stick it back in the rifle and put some oil in the holes of the BCG. Over several thousand rounds, this has kept it running like a sewing machine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you synthetic guys try Rotella T synthethic diesel oil. Its specifically formulated to prevent carbon buildup on metal parts and can handle high pressure environments better than any auto oil (diesels produce more blow-by). Use it a few times and see how easy it is to clean your BCG...you'll forget that Mobil even makes oil
wink.gif
</div></div>
That is what I use!

But it's not actually a synthetic oil. It's a Group III petroleum oil, but that's another discussion all together.

It is good stuff, and one can pick it up just about anywhere. It's the blue bottle!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a stupid question (not a first for me by the way) Anyone using Slick50 engine lubricant additive on their semis? </div></div>

Not Slick50, but Lucas just came out with a gun-specific oil. It works great, it's a little 'stickier' than most.

What about Ballistol? I use it on my bolt guns and I love it!

I just starting using DEX/MERC Castrol Automatic Transmission Fluid instead of remoil on my POF 308. The bolt carrier feels like it's riding on ice. The ATF fluid doesn't appear to get very dirty.

"Modern ATF typically contains a wide variety of chemical compounds intended to provide the required properties of a particular ATF specification. Most ATFs contain some combination of rust preventatives, anti-foam additives, detergents, dispersants, anti-wear additives, anti-oxidation compounds, surfactants, cold-flow improvers, high-temperature thickeners, gasket conditioners, and petroleum dye."

Seems like its a perfect fit for the AR platform don't you think?

+1 for Slip 2000 products
- I use the GP lube for cleaning and lubing all my guns, all parts, inside and out (including bore). Used CLP for about 20+ years, but I saw some shortcomings and feel there are better products (like Slip 2000).
- I use the Gas Piston/Parts Cleaner for removing heavy carbon on gas piston parts (rifle/shotgun).
- Been meaning to try the EWL, but the GP lube works so well I have not tried the EWL yet.

+1 for TW-25B
- All I use when I need a grease on all my modern guns.

Plastilube in the little grease pots for my M1 Garand and M14
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you synthetic guys try Rotella T synthethic diesel oil. Its specifically formulated to prevent carbon buildup on metal parts and can handle high pressure environments better than any auto oil (diesels produce more blow-by). Use it a few times and see how easy it is to clean your BCG...you'll forget that Mobil even makes oil
wink.gif
</div></div>
That is what I use!

But it's not actually a synthetic oil. It's a Group III petroleum oil, but that's another discussion all together.

It is good stuff, and one can pick it up just about anywhere. It's the blue bottle!
cool.gif
</div></div>

You sure? They call it a fully synthetic, not sure why shell would advertise it as such if it's not.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t6/

The best lube for an AR-15 is any brand of 15w 40. dont pour it into the receiver, just put a good coating on everything. a quart cost the same as a can of whatever and will last you forever.

EAG Tactical has a BCM mid-length AR named "Filthy 14" that has over 44,000rds through it without being cleaned. The thing still runs like a top. They exclusively use Slip2000 lubricant. Slip2000 EWL to be exact.
I use EWL as well. I have had malfunctions related to CLP burning off. I've never burned off EWL. Polymer-based lubricant is the best option for ARs due to the heat and high bolt speeds. Many lubes, like CLP, are petroleum-based and burn off. Such is why synthetic motor oil actually makes pretty decent gun lube.

Whatever you use, use a legitimate lubricant. Don't buy into the internet gun lube cocktails that contain a mix of different automotive products, household chemicals, gypsy tears and eye of newt.