• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Lubricants

dmschmidt

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
MI
I work in skilled trades at a multinational corp that produces lubricants and chemicals (most of them go to auto OEMs). I have access to lubricant test data that shows that most of the currently marketed gun lubes are horrible as far as corrosion inhibition, actual lubrication qualities etc.

That said, I am looking into buying them and marketing to the gun markets would you all be willing to spend $10.00 for a can of spray lube that works fantastic for not only cleaning, but the corrosion inhibition qualities are great! In a chamber called a salt spray chamber, bare carbon steel went for 47 hrs before it started to show corrosion, WD40 by the way went 6hrs.

Also, there is a grease that is specifically designed for metal to metal protection, such as bolt lugs, break action pins etc, (not semi auto bolts) I think I could package and sell it for around $6.00 or so for 2 oz tubes.

I started to use them at home and can't belive the difference.

Any input?

Re: Lubricants

Great, I'm still working on some legality issues, should be able to have some samples soon?

Any one else?

Does it end up "oily" once it's applied? I think of Prolix and the like that cleans great and supposedly leaves a bit of "dry lube" when all is said and done. That's nice for not clogging up the works (e.g., handguns).

More to the point, the price of MPro7 and Prolix is in that price range, as well as things like "Sharp Shoot R Wipe-Out Brushless Foaming Bore Cleaning Solvent 5 oz Aerosol".

I bet if you worked with "influential" folks like the editors at 6mmbr.com (jason is also the "smack the smiley" guy, if I understand correctly) or whoever drives "thehighroad" you'd get a lot of visibility.

Personally, I like the bolt grease concept. All the stainless-on-stainless action owners (e.g., benchrest shooters) should eat that up.

2 things does it contain any of the plastics? Like Teflon, ptfe or the like? I don't care for those. also how does it compare to Mobil one oil? To me cost is usually not an issue considering the cost of my firearms

There is a grease product on the market that looks like the red Mobil 1 synthetic multipurpose grease. But when two parts touch then seperate it has a stringy consistancy that helps keep the mating surfaces lubricated instead of rubbing off. Have anything like that?

For an all purpose lube, it is hard to beat Break Free products. For specialty applications (bolt lugs, cocking cams, sear), I use several other lubes.

What superior properties does your lubricant have other than salt spray test results?

Mike

That is high pressure bearing lube you are talking about. And yes it can be very stringy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a grease product on the market that looks like the red Mobil 1 synthetic multipurpose grease. But when two parts touch then seperate it has a stringy consistancy that helps keep the mating surfaces lubricated instead of rubbing off. Have anything like that?</div></div>

"There is a grease product on the market that looks like the red Mobil 1 synthetic multipurpose grease. But when two parts touch then seperate it has a stringy consistancy that helps keep the mating surfaces lubricated instead of rubbing off. Have anything like that?"

That's just a high quality bearing grease. Most places should have it cheap. I doubt a small quantity buyer can get near the price of the bulk products already on the market.

Edit
(pays to read further down.....)

Guys, this sucks, but I will not be able to do this, not without getting shitcanned! So for those who want to check out 1 of the products I wanted to market, its called :
Dow Corning Molykote
L-0501 Multipurpose, 12-Ounce Net Wt Aerosol $7.13 a can from Mcmaster-Carr.com.
This stuff is great! In tests against alot of the gun lubes out there, it was in the top 1/4 for corrosion inhibition. As far as lubrication, none came close. It foams as you spray it and doesn't take much.

The grease I wanted to market isn't available to the general public.

I looked up the MSDS on Dow Corning Molykote L-0501. Here is what is in it.

40-70% Hydrotreated light petroleum distillate
30-60% Hydrotreated heavy naphthenic petroleum distillate
10-30% Propane
1-5% Calcium bis(dinonylnaphthalenesulphonate)
<1% Isobutane

So propane/isobutane sounds like a propellant to me so that is easy (No Smoking!).
Light petroleum distillate sounds like the solvent to me.
Heavy naphthenic...is that the oil?
The big question is: What the heck is "Calcium Bis(Dinonylnaphthalenesulphonate)" and what does it do? I would guess it is the corrosion inhibitor.

What makes you think it would be a good gun oil/cleaner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is high pressure bearing lube you are talking about. And yes it can be very stringy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a grease product on the market that looks like the red Mobil 1 synthetic multipurpose grease. But when two parts touch then seperate it has a stringy consistancy that helps keep the mating surfaces lubricated instead of rubbing off. Have anything like that?</div></div> </div></div>

In the industry, when I worked out west, there were two "red" greases that we used. One was soft/light/gooey (those are technical terms) that was used for the log-deck feed conveyors. It was (ok) but no screaming hell.

Whereas the electrical department used a Red-Ram grease, which was firm/sticky-as-shit and worked wonderfully on many other applications. Not just the electrical motor bearings that they originally brought it in for.

Absolutely awesome on Tie-Rod ends, Ball joints, U-Joints, etc. But whatever you do, don't use it on manually locking hubs. It's so sticky that they won't unlock. Not saying it's the best out there, but it's damn good.

As for the liquid lubes being alluded to by the OP, they sound interesting. Point is, years ago, I learned to use synthetic motor oil for my firearm lube. Anyone have any actual evils therein, or just stories heard through the grapevine?

Greases are another issue, not yet fully decided on.

Carry on.

+1 It is pretty nasty stuff and I would think not work to well as temps get cold.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is high pressure bearing lube you are talking about. And yes it can be very stringy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a grease product on the market that looks like the red Mobil 1 synthetic multipurpose grease. But when two parts touch then seperate it has a stringy consistancy that helps keep the mating surfaces lubricated instead of rubbing off. Have anything like that?</div></div> </div></div>

In the industry, when I worked out west, there were two "red" greases that we used. One was soft/light/gooey (those are technical terms) that was used for the log-deck feed conveyors. It was (ok) but no screaming hell.

Whereas the electrical department used a Red-Ram grease, which was firm/sticky-as-shit and worked wonderfully on many other applications. Not just the electrical motor bearings that they originally brought it in for.

Absolutely awesome on Tie-Rod ends, Ball joints, U-Joints, etc. But whatever you do, don't use it on manually locking hubs. It's so sticky that they won't unlock. Not saying it's the best out there, but it's damn good.

As for the liquid lubes being alluded to by the OP, they sound interesting. Point is, years ago, I learned to use synthetic motor oil for my firearm lube. Anyone have any actual evils therein, or just stories heard through the grapevine?

Greases are another issue, not yet fully decided on.

Carry on.</div></div>

Pretty much gave up on lubes. Seemed I'd go and buy some just for the hell of it. Nowadays for lubrication, I only use TW25B & MC2500 for my rifles, and Shooter's Choice High-Tech grease for pistols. Just keeping it simple...
On the exterior and in the barrel, I like Birchwood Casey's Barricade.

I use it, it seems to help loosen carbon, crude etc, as far as lubrication goes, 4 ball tests and brake testing shows that it rocks. Like I said before, salt spray chamber testing showed superior corrosion inhibition, except for products that leave a nasty layer of gook(technical) on surfaces.

I use this stuff all around the farmstead, gets stuff loosened back up ALMOST as good as Kroil, but with the added benefit of lubrication, which Kroil isnt so good at, plus the cost is less than 1/2.