• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s Lucky Bastard- Bird Shot is not for bears

I went and loaded the 12g shotgun with 3 birdshot shells (#6 trapload) with the intention of shooting in the air to scare them away (family told us they had been coming back regularly since we had left and they weren’t scared of noise).

I went outside, from underneath the deck, shot once in the air, and the sow started charging so I ran back inside the house.

She then started walking her cubs away and I took that as a sign of submission, so I went outside again and when she got ~65 yards away, I shot in the air again to keep pushing her along.

After that shot, the sow turned around and looked at me and I yelled at her to keep moving her on. Then in an instant, the sow turned and charged, head down, ears back, and hair flat. I knew this was a serious charge and I only had one shot left (of birdshot), and having dealt with bears while working for 30+ years on the central BC coast rivers with the Department of Fisheries, and having gone through repeated bear training with a shotgun, I knew that if I turned and ran, there would have been contact.

I didn’t want to blind the sow by hitting her in the face so I aimed at her right side to hopefully trip her up to buy me enough time to run inside the house. I waited as long as I could, backpedalling and losing my right Croc, almost tripping me up, until she was just across the driveway and then I shot, which did trip her up so I turned and ran inside the house.

For a split second, she bit my Croc that had fallen off, then she kept coming towards the house with her mouth open, ready to bite me, and I slammed the door. The last thing I remember was gravel hitting my truck as she turned and ran back (four limbs working fine) and took her cubs away.

I later tracked her and her cubs a ways off our acreage; there was no blood, no hair and I know she’ll be sore but she’ll now think twice about approaching people. I talked it over with the local conservation officers, showed them the video, and they said I was totally justified in defending myself and family. I’m just glad it was me and not the kids out there."

Reactions: SpookM14
All that does is kill 3 magnificent creatures and doesn't teach them anything.
kill or be killed sometimes that is just how it is. While I agree to a point, and have never understood how killing one teaches the pack anything. some days it goes past that and you have to make a choice. personally he made a bad choice.

I have a brother in law who thinks that these are the ultimate self defense rounds
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?loadNo=3714CC

He is a douche bag all day everyday. And did not listen the 1st time I told him that he was stupid, So fuck'im.

kill or be killed sometimes that is just how it is. While I agree to a point, and have never understood how killing one teaches the pack anything. some days it goes past that and you have to make a choice. personally he made a bad choice.

I have a brother in law who thinks that these are the ultimate self defense rounds

He is a douche bag all day everyday. And did not listen the 1st time I told him that he was stupid, So fuck'im.
yeah nothing pretty about death. Sometimes animals and people need to be shot until they can’t move. Cut em.

The bears seemed to have no interest in the dog('s") What did he hope to accomplish? They seemed to be in the process of moving away.
And his quote about trying to be humane and not blind the bear with his laser like shotgun blast to the shoulder is complete crap. He hit the thing in the face. Stupid fuck.

Love how the bear was rolling around all like "that bastard just threw sand in my eyes!" Maybe we all can 1-up him. Anyone up for an African hunting trip where we hunt elephants with .22 caliber air rifles?

Love how the bear was rolling around all like "that bastard just threw sand in my eyes!" Maybe we all can 1-up him. Anyone up for an African hunting trip where we hunt elephants with .22 caliber air rifles?
M40 airsoft guns??

Can we do a group buy?

Just the thing for 3# wharf rats in a barn. The little 22 #12 just pisses them off past 15'.

The dude wore crocs to fight a grizzly bear. He's either a fool or a badder man than I.

I would say it was Buddly, but his velcro sneaker wouldn't have come off. Could have been papacockgobbler but he would have been wearing a gi and used the phoenix eye and blast the bear off the property. So, some lesser bad ass, Chuck Norris, maybe....:ROFLMAO:

I feel like bird shot would have mangled a leg at that range. I have no experience with grizzlies though.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Facing a Grizz with birdshot/crocs isn't a solid plan.
For the above post about magnificent creatures- Having grizz in your backyard as a habit requires modification of behavior.
Since some dumb bastard judge shut down the season earlier this year we will see much more of this.
I'd like to take all of the Disney educated folks into grizz country with me camping.

R

Fish and game would issue us 12 gage with rock salt to scare deer and elk out of our stack yards and it was effective. It looked to me like the bears were moving of so why antagonize the bear. Shot gun will work in a #6 12 At close range but not a good choice for me?

My dad calls from Homer Ak and I ask him what he’s up to and he says he’s taking care of a dead moose. I asked if he was hunting in the back yard again and he says nope, damn thing was tearing up my garden and after several calls to local authorities to do something about it with no response, took care of the problem myself. I said so what did you shoot it with to which he says a 410. ???? After I could breath again I said pop, just cuz ya can doesn’t mean you should. Use the 300 next time???

Reactions: Tucker301
Was I the only one rooting for the bear to get the moron? You encroach on a wild animal with maternal instincts like a bear with a gun and think it is going to end well.

Reactions: PinesAndProjectiles
I wouldnt want to be the next human that startles that bear family.

Will the behavior be attack on sight or immediate run away?

Yeah, because now the bear knows the taste of crocs. And nothing taste better to a bear than Chinese foam shoes filled with piss and shit from the dumbass with a shotgun, trying to impress whomever was recording.

Why not just use one of those flahlights that do a strobe to disorient the bear . Yeah that's the ticket .
Had a cousin in Field and Stream article " this happened to me " or some such . He killed a Grizz with a razor tipped arrow . No shit .
And fuck that .

If the bear looks to be heading away from you, perhaps next time don't piss it off?

I wonder how one of those handheld hobby flame throwers would work to keep a bear from wanting to head towards you?

The only "Bear hunting" approved crocks that allow the piss running down your leg a place to go.........
i-QQxTdRZ-M.jpg