• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lugs galling

Gil P.

Blank
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
When are lugs considered galled? Is it something to be concerned about, and is it always preventable?

I've got a PTG bolt in my Remington 700 with less than 1200 rounds on it that I think is galling. If I scratch the back of the lugs on the bolt with my finger nail, it will catch on small striations on the lug.

I grease my lugs about every 50 - 100 rounds and ways FL resize my cases. Can galling be caused from dirty lugs?

Neither my bolt or action is stainless.

Last edited:
I more or less had that happen to me when I moved and had my stuff all packed up still so I used some dielectric grease from the office and after 50 rounds or so it appeared to be galling... So I would say yes is possible.

I more or less had that happen to me when I moved and had my stuff all packed up still so I used some dielectric grease from the office and after 50 rounds or so it appeared to be galling... So I would say yes is possible.

I wonder if it happens more often because we like to shoot in tactical matches with relatively high round counts and dirty actions.

Has anyone with a custom non nitrided experienced this? Assuming you grease your lugs often and don't know the cause of the galling.

Had it happen on a nitrided action also. No issues w my Surgeon Crome Moly actions tho!

I believe the RC numbers are similar on the above mentioned actions but Crome Moly is less prone to wearing and galling.

When are lugs considered galled? Is it something to be concerned about, and is it always preventable?

I've got a PTG bolt in my Remington 700 with less than 1200 rounds on it that I think is galling. If I scratch the back of the lugs on the bolt with my finger nail, it will catch on small striations on the lug.

I grease my lugs about every 50 - 100 rounds and ways FL resize my cases. Can galling be caused from dirty lugs?

What do the lugs in the action look like? You might find your answer there. Galling will roll up a small amount of metal(high spot). Almost always in one spot/arc with a corresponding groove on the opposing lug.

Reactions: MCHOG
I believe the RC numbers are similar on the above mentioned actions but Crome Moly is less prone to wearing and galling.

I've heard that before about chromemoly steel. My last Remington bolt galled pretty bad too.

I'm getting a custom barrel led action in a few days and don't want to screw it up. I'm not sure what's causing my galling except for dirty lugs or maybe the bolts and action have been of similar hardness.

What do the lugs in the action look like? You might find your answer there. Galling will roll up a small amount of metal(high spot). Almost always in one spot/arc with a corresponding groove on the opposing lug.

IIRC,
The lugs have raised metal across the face in an arc. They look like an arc of a fingerprint.

A pic would help a lot. Lugs will develop marks just from wear. A galled spot will be a groove ending with a ball of metal at the end.
I never want lugs to be too smooth. No place for lube to hide out.
I've galled lugs sitting at the dining room table before there was ever a barrel screwed on. That was a custom SS action made 35 years ago. We learned to baby them for awhile. The lugs would work harden from use.

Reactions: DIBBS
A pic would help a lot. Lugs will develop marks just from wear. A galled spot will be a groove ending with a ball of metal at the end.
I never want lugs to be too smooth. No place for lube to hide out.
I've galled lugs sitting at the dining room table before there was ever a barrel screwed on. That was a custom SS action made 35 years ago. We learned to baby them for awhile. The lugs would work harden from use.
I didn't know that about the ball of metal at the end of the groove. I don't recall seeing that. I'll post some good pictures tonight.

Dave wouldn't you be able to catch the grove w a fingernail?

Oh yea it will be very noticeable. Not what you would call normal wear. The only thing you have to do to fix it is remove the high spot/ball at the end. I do it with a Swiss file. Maybe a quick light lapping to make me feel better.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
I wish i still had a picture to post. I noticed it right away than sold the gun before it got worse. It would catch your fingernail.

Never use dielectric grease for a lube, it is primarily silicone and is a poor lubricant and will coat while still allowing metal to gall. I have experienced this on a Glock 19 I polished then applied it on, then again on a Tikka bolt shroud.
I have since attributed them to the dielectric grease and now only use it for electrical connectors.
Do yourself a favor and use a firearm grease, or at the very least a automotive bearing grease.

Galling tends to happen most with similar metals under pressure, stainless on stainless, aluminum on aluminum, etc. Dissimilar metal will typically have a lower coefficient of friction and resist galling naturally. If you have a receiver and bolt with the same material with the same mechanical properties, you will have a higher risk of galling.

That said, good lubrication will almost always prevent any problems.

Reactions: Brandon H.

Attachments

• 20200713_220236.jpg
    20200713_220236.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 487
  • 20200713_220200.jpg
    20200713_220200.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 377
  • 20200713_220120.jpg
    20200713_220120.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 339
It's not the type of galling most of us think about but it appears something happened with one lugs. Maybe a piece of debris between the lugs. There's nothing to fix so I would just keep them clean and lubed.

There's very small striations on the bag of the lugs that will catch a fingernail. That's nothing to worry about either?

There's very small striations on the bag of the lugs that will catch a fingernail. That's nothing to worry about either?
I don't know the whole story about your rifle or have I seen it but no there's nothing to worry about based on the pics you put up.. What you feel is from manufacturing. Smooth as a babies butt is not what you want.

Reactions: Gil P.
The
I don't know the whole story about your rifle or have I seen it but no there's nothing to worry about based on the pics you put up.. What you feel is from manufacturing. Smooth as a babies butt is not what you want.
The worst I ever did to it (6.5x47) was shoot 40.1gr of H4350 with 140 hybrids in 104 degree heat.

I got 2970 fps and promptly stopped shooting. At 60 degrees that same charge weight only gave me about 2815-2830 fps.

The striations were there before that though, so I don't think I caused any damage.

I ordered a PMA lug recess cleaning tool yesterday. They look like they'll do a much better job of cleaning the lug recess area than the stuff from Dewey I've been using.

I believe you; I just have a bunch of Dewey stuff on hand right now.

At 74; I'm not ordering that far ahead... Gotta start drawing some lines eventually...LOL.

Gre4g

Reactions: n2stcks

Absolutley ANYTHING that gets between the lugs and the action can cause galling.
Constant cleaning with quality products can't be replaced. Take that from a competitive shooter!