• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Luna elir3 visible to coyotes?

The ELIR - 3 was recommended to me a few years ago by a couple of Hide members KSE & WIG. I put those 2, into the (know their craft) category. I have had much success illuminating hogs and they do not seem to flinch when I turn on the Prison Yard spot light. However when it comes to the coyotes, my gear is not my weak spot, its me. They hear my Jeep. They hear me transit the 600m trek of knee high swamp water to reach my stand. The hogs can not resist the smell of fresh corn. The coyotes will circle my position all night and taunt me with the endless barking. I'm still trying to crack the code on these slick little bastards. Close in coyote hunting is not easy.

R/
CBDR

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I'm still trying to crack the code on these slick little bastards. Close in coyote hunting is not easy.
R/
CBDR

Maybe you need to take a few classes from Chief Thumpemcoyotus. Courses start at 1 Beaver Pelt for 1/2 day class. :LOL:

1595641788751.png

This guy here looks like he has mastered the art or cold weather enhances skill levels. LOL

1595642157455.png

Attachments

• 1595642101710.png
    1595642101710.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
After over 50 years of actively killing coyotes one thing I know is that they are adaptable and variable.
Very fast learners. So, what spooks them in one area might not in another.

WN&H.... with your Luna experience, what are the parameters of power v light concentration that would harm wildlife vision while illuminating an area. Many times while scanning an area you have no idea what is there until the eyes light up.
It is hard to set a hard and fast rule to you because of varying distances, tightness of your beam and Rheostat power setting. But I will say this. Open it wide open on the Bezel as this disperses IR energy and dial your Rheostat back. It does not take much light at all to make a animals eyes reflect.

Now for further studies and calculations on NOHD (Nominal Ocular Hazard Distance) here is a pretty good learning source.

Reactions: WALLYBOB
With this kind of crap occuring, it is likely further restrictions and regulations on lasers will be forthcoming in the future.

Good citizens are continually having to pay a huge price, in dollars, safety, loss of Constitution Rights, worldwide respect and many other areas because of the criminal acts of these low life trash thugs. At some point maybe the good citizens get tired of paying the price and make the criminal thugs pay it.

Federal officers in Portland may have been permanently blinded by lasers, officials say

This was my main motivator that drove me to the MAWL C1. I am not looking to inadvertently blind someone, so figured the MAWL C1 would give me the illumination I wanted, but without the associated dangers of blinding a buddy by accident.

I hear you. This will be my HD weapon when I get home, but now I'm in AZ and will be out camping in the hills. In PA hunting anything w/a semi-auto pistol is not allowed. Sooooo.... a Dbal D2 will soon be added to my 16 incher for coyotes. Don't tell my wife......

inside a 100yd and you think it’s the Luna they see eh? lol
Reviving this thread cause I missed a yote tonight that I should have killed. No excuses.

However, I illuminated multiple deer from 75yds to 350yds and they quickly went from grazing to looking at me. I even got on the gun and waited to illuminate but they still didn’t look at me until after I kicked the Luna on.

You’ve probably killed more dogs than I’ve looked at, but that’s how it went for me tonight. The yote I missed was trotting away (should have stopped him with a bark) after I kicked the illuminator on. I think he also heard my AR safety flick off more aggressively than necessary haha. Wind was good but moon was half full and in my face (also not good).

I do think this dog was more attentive because I was mouth calling (shorter cycles than electronic for me) and he came in looking but not hearing. I’ve had a few this year seemingly not care a bit about the illuminator…

I believe both deer and coyote's can see the emission from the Luna ELIR-3.

With full spectrum camera's the output of the ELIR-3 appears orange.

Jay of SureShot Night Vision has a nice photo of this orange beam on instagram:

Jay SureShot NV Luna ELIR-3 Beam.png

Here's a screen grab from a video of the ELIR-3 next to an ATILLA-200:

Luna ELIR-3 vs ATILLA-200.png

Nick Chen has quite a catalog of content on the orange beam of the Luna ELIR-3:
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4

Could all just be a peculiarity of the 785nm emission, such as the Raman effect or 785nm is just not quite NIR, either way I believe animals can see it.

Attachments

• Jay SureShot NV Luna ELIR-3 Beam.png
    Jay SureShot NV Luna ELIR-3 Beam.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Luna ELIR-3 vs ATILLA-200.png
    Luna ELIR-3 vs ATILLA-200.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 13