• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Luxury Timepieces

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    Thread title is meant to sound pretentious.

What's up with the secondary market for expensive watches? It seems like half of the watches I've come across have a reference to "inaccurate timekeeping- service required" in the description. I'm looking in the $3500 to $7k range used.

My timex has never skipped a beat and never leaves my wrist. Is the whole luxury watch market a giant scam like designer sunglasses? My wife wants to get me a nice watch and I'm not feeling good about what I'm seeing. I mean... what kind of asshole pays $5k+ for a stainless bracelet that looks like it keeps time, but really doesn't?

100% reliability. As long as the sun is shining.

tumblr_o72h5uqyJW1vtg7e4o1_640.jpg

If you want to keep really accurate time and that's all you care about or what you most care about.
    You'll find the "Poor's watches" that are digital and are in the south of $1k range will do that function probably better than many of the "luxury" watches.

The high end watch market is more essentially jewelry for men with an added function so men can feel good about wearing them.
    Also depending on the model and how much you paid for it and the times, it can be a good investment that will be worth more in the future (no guarantees).

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    Not sure what source you are looking at but any reputable seller should be selling a watch in good condition which has been serviced by the factory or by a watchmaker before listing for sale if there was anything wrong with it, not pass that burden to the buyer. Chrono24 is a good place that many dealers use to sell. Avoid anything that “needs service” which could add thousands to a repair bill after purchase. I have a handful of “luxury timepieces” and all keep time without issue and most mechanical watches that are cared for don’t need constant service.

Back when I still wore a watch, it was G-Shock Atomic Solar; they're not luxury, but as long as they do the atomic clock sync at night they're the closest thing you can wear to real time.

Reactions: LeftyJason
    I wear a Timex. Takes a ticking and keeps on licking.

Reactions: LeftyJason