• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision LWTS goodie

TestnDoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2012
Pensacola, FL
Got a video out cable for the LWTS! Thanks to Jim at SPI.
303be55376c0c904bbe133e670b74621.jpg

63384fa778bf0826a9b8ffd8f5ed77ca.jpg

675798cc53538c4f3be2468b19031913.jpg

Not to be a downer, TestNDoc, but that cable is really going to be a hassle to use at night. If there is some way you can possibly get a 90 degree junction for it where it enters the instrument to keep it from sticking out to the side so much?

On my older FLIR T-50 the cable sticks out the front and that is not too bad, on the FLIR T-60 though it comes out just like yours and is a total bitch to use in the woods with all the messing around and branches and such on a stalk, most of the time I just use it under controlled conditions in a stand setting.

On the FLIR T-70, the cable is designed very very well to avoid snags and make things as easy to use at night without all the hassle of getting cables caught up on objects. The T-70 has the best cable setup for me, although the new FLIR RS series has a nice cable input design as well.

Something like this with a 90 degree junction is what you need to get, otherwise you will constantly be having trouble recording at night....

T70%20MDVR.jpg

See how nice the cable input is on the T-70, totally out of the way...

I'll have to inquire, but I highly doubt it. The cable does has some flexibility, but nothing like your setup.

Folks don't realize how important the configuration of the video cables are until they try to film video at night, it is a real hassle messing with cables on the dark, especially when trying to film a kill when a pack of coyotes or hogs come charging at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

True...by the way, which DVR are you using? I am using one I got from SPI with my T50 a couple of years ago. There might be better units out there now??

The SPI DVR is a real good reliable unit and the only waterproof one that I know of, I have four of them.

The UNV MDVR is also a nice easy to use compact unit with excellent cables that I have been trying out lately, it has a nice remote switch to instantly record and not waste battery power in standby.

That is the UNV MDR in the pic above.

Here is the SPI DVR:

T70%20DVR.jpg

Video cables and darkness don't jive, especially when intense hunting activity is going down.....

I had a pack of six coyotes charge me to Bay Bee Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster after I had carefully setup the entire video recording process when I first saw them all approaching from >350 yards out in the forest, once they hit 100 yards it was gang busters right straight at me, all six of them. In the resulting mayhem I managed to kill two of them and ripped my video cables out and destroyed the connectors in the process, leaving me with no video, but at least a nice pic of two dead dogs...

Double%20B.jpg

Double%20A.jpg

Heavy duty video cables are our friend in the dark.....
icon_smile_wink.gif

I can't wait to see some video through your scope, the view through the eyepiece is simply amazing. I LOVE mine but unfortunately SPI decided to not make good on their offer of a free cable with each LWTS purchased from them if the buyer mentioned that they saw the post on the hide. That was posted on 03/26/14 and I ordered on 04/08/14, partially in response to that offer since I had read that the cable would be mega bucks from L3. The link is below, but they edited the text last week (apparently after reading my third email without sending a response). Sort of like buying a new car that is supposed to have $500 worth of extras included, then finding out the dealership opted not to include them. At any rate, I've tried to get good video w/ my digital camera behind it on a tripod but that has proved frustrating to say the least. Hopefully someone is able to make a more Earthly-priced cable soon. I must say, even though there was a considerable wait for this scope, it was worth it without a doubt. I've never owned or used anything that is anywhere near this sensitive, it is truly amazing. L3/Insight really knocked it out of the park with this one! Let's see some video!! :p

ETA: forgot the link http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-night-vision-devices/242317-l3-lwts-my-kac-sbr.html

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to get the cable that goes from the vid out to Iphone 5 ? I have a mount on order that will let me record from the phone but think a hardwire connection may be better? Any thoughts fellas?

Hi Black Lightning,

There is no cable that will go video out from the L3 LWTS to the Iphone, but we do sell the video out to RCA cable so you can plug it into any "RCA INPUT " such as a DVR, VCR, or any camcorder with a VIDEO IN, alot of guys buy a portable DVR with a screen to record the thermal video footage too,
such as the nice black one that I see SKYPUP and TEST N DOC have in their photos above, a lower cost way to do it is the Iphone adapter that lets you record straight to the phone, you would have to mount the iphone in front of your day scope, however it works well. Our good buddies at
USNIGHTVISION.com sells the IPHONE adapters and I think they are only a few hundred, the video out cable for L3 LWTS is now sold bundled with the LCD and DVR as a KIT so give us a call if you are interested. SPI CORP Las Vegas (702)369-3966 Leading Manufacturer & Supplier of Thermal Imaging Products- SPI.