• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision LWTS+Kahles Ki1-6+ KAC 300 BLK SBR

TestnDoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2012
Pensacola, FL
L3 LWTS rocks in this configuration. Thanks again to Jim at SPI for the LWTS.
B003CF47-FD8B-4865-A65F-556744FB137E_1.jpg

Damn that first pic is beautiful. Also, I love the fact that you can have ranging stadia if you want it. That is one sexy piece of equipment sir!

ETA: The more I look at pics and videos the more I like the LWTS. I recently sold my only thermal spotter to put additional cash toward a thermal that would "do it all." I love the LWTS since it gives the clip-on capability, but I've also been watching the stuff coming out about the FLIR RS, particularly the 640 w/ 35mm lens. It's really tough deciding on whether or not the clip-on function is worth the extra $5k. Has anyone used the RS 640 as well as the LWTS and can comment on the image from both? The imagery from the FLIR zeroing video from the 640 35mm is quite a bit more impressive than other vids from end users (possibly due to the difference in the cable and recording platform?). There is just so much to consider here given the amount of money involved. I REALLY appreciate the pics and videos from everyone who has the RS series or the LWTS, please keep them coming to get people like me off the fence. The cash is there to buy either but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I've still got a full NV setup but I hate being w/o thermal... I need to make a decision!

Last edited:
Damn that first pic is beautiful. Also, I love the fact that you can have ranging stadia if you want it. That is one sexy piece of equipment sir!

ETA: The more I look at pics and videos the more I like the LWTS. I recently sold my only thermal spotter to put additional cash toward a thermal that would "do it all." I love the LWTS since it gives the clip-on capability, but I've also been watching the stuff coming out about the FLIR RS, particularly the 640 w/ 35mm lens. It's really tough deciding on whether or not the clip-on function is worth the extra $5k. Has anyone used the RS 640 as well as the LWTS and can comment on the image from both? The imagery from the FLIR zeroing video from the 640 35mm is quite a bit more impressive than other vids from end users (possibly due to the difference in the cable and recording platform?). There is just so much to consider here given the amount of money involved. I REALLY appreciate the pics and videos from everyone who has the RS series or the LWTS, please keep them coming to get people like me off the fence. The cash is there to buy either but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I've still got a full NV setup but I hate being w/o thermal... I need to make a decision!
The LWTS is better, IMHO than the FLIR T50 or T60, both of which I owned and sold. The image displayed is better and the controls are easier/more intuitive to use. However, I have no doubt the FLIR T70 is an awesome unit, but I have never used one. I do own a FLIR M18 640 and the image is phenomenal, and I love the joystick controller. Both companies make outstanding products. You cant go wrong with the devices you are considering. Good luck!

Both the LWTS and the FLIR GS T-70 thermals are short range units that do not take magnification over 6X without pixelation occurring, even though I have used my T-70's up to and including 12X, I much prefer the 4-6X magnifications.

The major killer feature the GS T-70 has over the LWTS is the 0.5X mode with the super wide range FOV that no other thermal unit has, it is absolutely stunning to use in the field on hunts in the middle of the night.

I think if you like to use the most magnification possible to shoot paper or bang steel targets at night from a precision rest on a rifle range at night, the LWTS would be the best for that. If you like to hunt vermin and predators at night far from civilization with no rifle support except perhaps a shooting stick, the FLIR GS series are much better.

The FLIR T-70 is just a weaponized FLIR M-18, same setup, I also own a T-50 and T-60 and they get allot of use, in particular the T-60 allows for the highest magnification of any of the thermals I own and use all the time.

The FLIR RS65-35 is basically a weaponized FLIR LS-64, which for the price and ease of use cannot be beat, although it is not a mil-spec hardened unit like the FLIR GS line.

FLIR T-50 175 yard single shot handloaded 7.62X51mm Barnes 130 grain TSX:

Bobcat4.jpg

FLIR T-50 200 yards both single shot handloaded 7.62X51mm Barnes 130 grain TSX:

SIG%20716%20Two%20Hogs.jpg

FLIR T-50 225 yards single shot handloaded 7.62X51mm Barnes 130 grain TSX:

SIG%20716%20Coyote.jpg

T-70 225 yards headshot handloaded 7.62X51mm Barnes 130 grain TSX:

SIG%20716%20Coyote%20Head%20Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Looking through them side by side and shooting with them are really the only way you will know which one you like better. I can say that everyone who comes to our store in Vegas get to hold and use both of them,
never had we sold a FLIR T70 after the customer tried both of them out, its 100% of the time the L3 LWTS by far, the image is far better( DRS detector ) and the much higher res viewable eye piece on the L3 shows a better FOV, the T70 is a tiny tiny LCD screen when you look into it (without a day scope).
T70 freaks out when you when you look at the sky then back down at a different temperature, l3 doesnt change at all. L3 is lower cost then the FLIR T70. L3 is always at 640.x480 viewable. L3 is alot better used as a stand alone.

L3 LWTS rocks in this configuration. Thanks again to Jim at SPI for the LWTS.

What height rings did you use for that 30mm tube day scope? Any alignment problems?

No telling when we will see shrouds from L3, but MOD is thinking about doing some custom shrouds.

Last edited:
What height rings did you use for that 30mm tube day scope? Any alignment problems?

No telling when we will see shrouds from L3, but MOD is thinking about doing some custom shrouds.
I use the Larue LT111, 1.535". Works perfectly with the LWTS.

another commercial paid for by FLIR.

How many times can FLIR be mentioned in 1 post?

Don't you think by now everyone everywhere knows that your opinion is that the .5x is the greatest thing ever. I have it and think it sucks.

another commercial paid for by FLIR.

How many times can FLIR be mentioned in 1 post?

Don't you think by now everyone everywhere knows that your opinion is that the .5x is the greatest thing ever. I have it and think it sucks.

BINGO! We have a winner! Another in a long series of commercials paid for by jdr724.

FLIR%20Man%20Drowning.jpg

I guess if you are hunting vegetables, since they don't move too fast when you are stalking them, you prolly do not need it...

We like veggies too, but FLIR puts meat on the table!

BBQ2.jpg

BBQ.jpg

BBQ3.jpg

My best Dirty Harry voice (which is not that good)...."You gotta ask yourself one question"..."Did FLIR ship six rail cars of hogs or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all that excitement of you killing all those hogs I kinda lost track myself."

Vic

We gotta get that FLIR boxcar full of fresh lean swine on the hoof out to TestNDoc's place so he can run though a couple of clips in his blaster and film an aporkcalypse through his new LWTS!!!

FLIR ships me a rail boxcar full of them each week to sacrifice for their PR department, they let them squealing out behind my barn and I wack 'em and stack em' until I run out of ammo, and then they come back and do it all over again the next week....

Here is a sounder after they just let them out and I wack them with the .308 killing 8 out of 10 all by my lonesome self in the backyard behind my barn....we feed them all drugged corn with Ketamine so they cannot run too fast and forget which way to run, it is quite apparent in the video, you can almost see the little FLIR tattos we put in their ears..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smbmJANjR9A&list=UU-ot1c_juotgVvZCG9_3rzQ

Without my two FLIR T-70's and their awesome 0.5X super wide field of view on my .308s, I would not be able to wack them and stack them like this if they were not previously drugged on 100mg of Ketamine each.....

5%20Hogs%20Grapple2.jpg

SIG%20716%205%20Hogs.jpg

Damn Skypup, give it a rest. It's a thread on TestnDoc's new LWTS set up and thanking the dealer he bought it from. Not another FLIR commercial. Besides I get tired of seeing the same videos and pictures on every thread here.

Damn Skypup, give it a rest. It's a thread on TestnDoc's new LWTS set up and thanking the dealer he bought it from. Not another FLIR commercial. Besides I get tired of seeing the same videos and pictures on every thread here.

Cool hdfireman, it is TesNDoc's nice thread and he and I get along very nicely thank you. I even get along real good with Jim at SPI too.

TestNDoc's setup is awesome, we'll even provide some FLIR bacon on the hoof to help him break in his new LWTS.

He should bring that nice instrument over to my place and we'll record some kills together, interested TestNDoc! I'd love to have ya over for a blasting when ya get a chance....

Let me warn ya though, we will not be blastin' watermelons, squash, lettuce heads, or any other immobile vegan items!

Last edited:
Skypup can hijack my threads anytime, although I don't see it as a hijack situation :). Send it!!!!

haha, you be da man.

We have got to get some nice photos and kill video out of your new LWTS at night, preferably in a strong stormy night with dense fog and humidity. Hurricane season will be here before ya know it and we have had some awesome thermal hunts at night in tropical storms with 45mph sideways rain in the middle of the night when NV or even a flashlight was totally worthless, only thermal would get the job done.

I will get FLIR to unleash a fresh boxcar full of drugged swine and we will two man gun 'em down in my backyard and then compare videos and kills?

Pretty soon the mosquitoes will be out in force and it will be tough to concentrate on thermal swine kills with all the swatting going on, but I am all for it.

That other FLIR T-70 vs L3 LWTS that Jim started has been dead in the water for over six months now without any kill photos or videos of any of the nice L3 unit, if these thermals are going to war, they can go to war at my place on my swine. I will even provide free ammo!

Last edited:
haha, you be da man.

We have got to get some nice photos and kill video out of your new LWTS at night, preferably in a strong stormy night with dense fog and humidity. Hurricane season will be here before ya know it and we have had some awesome thermal hunts at night in tropical storms with 45mph sideways rain in the middle of the night when NV or even a flashlight was totally worthless, only thermal would get the job done.

I will get FLIR to unleash a fresh boxcar full of drugged swine and we will two man gun 'em down in my backyard and then compare videos and kills?

Pretty soon the mosquitoes will be out in force and it will be tough to concentrate on thermal swine kills with all the swatting going on, but I am all for it.

That other FLIR T-70 vs L3 LWTS that Jim started has been dead in the water for over six months now without any kill photos or videos of any of the nice L3 unit, if these thermals are going to war, they can go to war at my place on my swine. I will even provide free ammo!

I'll even come by to bring the free Cuban Stogies and other goodies! :-D

Vic

I've got ten gallons of pure unadulterated USP pharmaceutical grade 100% Ethyl Alcohol here in the lab that I use to precipitate recombinant DNA with after I've cloned in my human gene constructs, I could soak 100 pounds of corn in the pure Ethanol and we could feed it to those starving swine and then video tape them helplessly drunk while we blast them with thermals.

That would make it easy to track 'em with the 1.0X unity on the LWTS, we could leave a few in a control group without any alcohol for me to nail with the 0.5X of the T-70 that so many here absolutely just hate, just because it will be so damn easy for me.

Last edited:
That would make it easy to track 'em with the 1.0X unity on the LWTS, we could leave a few in a control group without any alcohol for me to nail with the 0.5X of the T-70 that so many here absolutely just hate, just because it will be so damn easy for me.

Ok, I'm gonna mod my LWTS to get the 0.5x.....:)

Ok, I'm gonna mod my LWTS to get the 0.5x.....:)

That would be real nice for your scope!

At 100 yards I have a 100+ yard wide FOV, at 200 yards I have a 200+ yard wide FOV, that will be great to have with a German #4 running boar digital reticule!

As a passionate (post-Fukushima) tuna fisherman working towards a new hobby, I have some piggy questions.

I understand that pigs are dichromats, but do they have any useful rod (night) vision?

Or, at nighttime, are they just working off of those hairy ears and sensitive, but funny-looking, snouts?

Last edited:
Their noses are their biggest asset at night, then their ears, and then their eyes.

They do have some useful scotopic night vision due to the reflection of the tapetum lucidum behind their retina reflecting what available light passes through back to the retina, however they mostly just see contrasts, so if you are in the shadow of a tree trunk, they will not be able to distinguish you from the shadow. Their noses detect much further than either their hearing or sight does.

Scotopic rod vision is mostly in the middle visible 550-650nm wavelengths of light in the blue-green color region, so red light is much more difficult to see and cannot be seen at a distance, which is why hunting with red LED lights at night for hogs and dogs is preferred. It is also why we as humans, can see a green light allot further away than a red light.

Since we humans do not have the tapetum lucidum layer, I assume then that pigs have night vision somewhat, if not significantly, superior to our own (though we beat them with our photopic vision in daylight).

Do you take any measures to defeat your own natural scent?

On another tack, will the TSA allow carry-on of NVDs?

Last edited:
I don't worry about scent as I approach from downwind. Pigs do have better night vision that we do, but not by much.

TSA allows NV and thermal carry on gear.

Nerds...

I say that with great respect though. I sometimes pretend to be smart if I think it will impress my buddies, but I'm pretty sure I've yet to fool anyone. I commend you guys on your knowledge. I have had some conversations with skypup about eyeballs and lightwaves and stuff and he has a way of breaking it down where even I can understand it.

Pigs eyes are different but still closely resemble humans, more so than either coyotes or cows do, and are often used in biomedical research for that reason.

The gift of sight is the most precious sense The Lord God Almighty gave to man. Praise God that we can use our sense of sight to use these really cool thermal and NV toys. But let's face it, as cool and as intricate as these NV and thermal devices are, they PALE in comparison to the human eye. Thank you Jesus for my sight.

The gift of sight is the most precious sense The Lord God Almighty gave to man. Praise God that we can use our sense of sight to use these really cool thermal and NV toys. But let's face it, as cool and as intricate as these NV and thermal devices are, they PALE in comparison to the human eye. Thank you Jesus for my sight.

Coming from a guy that almost lost his eyes twice, I concur. Once I wrecked an ATV and the grip came off allowing the exposed handle bar to rip my eyelid off, which hung by just the corner. It didn't touch my eye though. The second time I got a small piece of copper shrapnel stuck halfway through the lenses of my Oakley M-Frames. I'm quite thankful for my sight, yet still an idiot about protecting it.

Nerdy? No way. To be nerdy you'd have to know something that none of us know, something like Carlsen unseated Vishy at the FIDE World Chess Championship. Now that would be nerdy, but none of us know that.

Nerdy? No way. To be nerdy you'd have to know something that none of us know, something like Carlsen unseated Vishy at the FIDE World Chess Championship. Now that would be nerdy, but none of us know that.
Or have newspaper clippings from the chess matches between Bobby Fischer and Boris Spasky from 1972...takes one to know one...just sayin....:)

Uh oh... I have his 60 Memorable Games on my desk right here.

I learned an interesting factoid last night—that the first bolometers were constructed in the 19th century.

Are any manufacturers in the civilian market using amorphous silicon microbolometer arrays?

Last edited:
Yikes! $5k for 500yd detection? ...but thanks, SkyPup, for fingering the a-Si unit. I infer that the cost of a-Si array production far exceeds VOx production.

DARPRA stopped funding any research in A-SI and is only funding Vanadium Oxide for uncooled microbolometers.

Apparently L3 still makes A-SI uncooled detectros in-house but farms out the Vanadium Oxide microbolometers to DRS.

haha, you be da man.

We have got to get some nice photos and kill video out of your new lwts at night, preferably in a strong stormy night with dense fog and humidity. Hurricane season will be here before ya know it and we have had some awesome thermal hunts at night in tropical storms with 45mph sideways rain in the middle of the night when nv or even a flashlight was totally worthless, only thermal would get the job done.

I will get flir to unleash a fresh boxcar full of drugged swine and we will two man gun 'em down in my backyard and then compare videos and kills?

Pretty soon the mosquitoes will be out in force and it will be tough to concentrate on thermal swine kills with all the swatting going on, but i am all for it.

That other flir t-70 vs l3 lwts that jim started has been dead in the water for over six months now without any kill photos or videos of any of the nice l3 unit, if these thermals are going to war, they can go to war at my place on my swine. I will even provide free ammo!

the reason there is not many videos or photos of the l3 lwts is because its a military item.

Jim, I thought that the L3 LTWS is the modified civilian version of the military model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk?

haha, you be da man.

We have got to get some nice photos and kill video out of your new lwts at night, preferably in a strong stormy night with dense fog and humidity. Hurricane season will be here before ya know it and we have had some awesome thermal hunts at night in tropical storms with 45mph sideways rain in the middle of the night when nv or even a flashlight was totally worthless, only thermal would get the job done.

I will get flir to unleash a fresh boxcar full of drugged swine and we will two man gun 'em down in my backyard and then compare videos and kills?

Pretty soon the mosquitoes will be out in force and it will be tough to concentrate on thermal swine kills with all the swatting going on, but i am all for it.

That other flir t-70 vs l3 lwts that jim started has been dead in the water for over six months now without any kill photos or videos of any of the nice l3 unit, if these thermals are going to war, they can go to war at my place on my swine. I will even provide free ammo!

-

my daughter says the winner on what scope is better between the t70 and the l3 lwts is clearly the flir t70.. And here is why...

She says that t70 has color and the l3 only has black and white so the t70 is much much better!!!

"the t70 is a cool toy dad" im so happy i can do special effect now, "i sure hope flir make new t75 with more color stuff and things yaaay!"