• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman Gen 6 and Rcbs CM lite

Chaseerickson12

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2013
Washington
Hey I’m interested in both of these powder measures. I know that there are going to be a lot of people that are bias to one over the other... just looking for honest reviews from people with long term experience with these tools. I’m coming from throwing and trickling on a beam scale. I’m ready to be a little lazy lol!

Cheers

I've have had 2 CM lites for about a year and a half now. Haven't had any issues with them. I use the same calibration weights for both and reload ammo that consistently has ~10 FPS SD using both at the same time. There are definitely more accurate scales and some that are faster but these work great for my needs. Any specific questions about the M lite you need answered?

Reactions: Chaseerickson12
I was in the same place as you until about 4 months ago, when I purchased a CM Lite.
I can keep the “good” loads in both the 6.5 CM and Grendel sub 10 FPS SD, so it at least as accurate as my “throw and trickle” procedure in about 1/4 of the time, and I’m normally seating bullets while the CM is running.

The Lyman is junk and so is the Hornady. The CM lite is the one to own. It's nicer than the regular chargmaster as it's much more modern and updated. Throws a better charge too.

I have the Lyman Gen 6 - the thing to know is that there are two versions of this. The older one, is in fact, junk. After getting extremely frustrated with it, I sent it back to Lyman and they sent me the newer version gen 6. This one stops throwing powder a full grain out from the desired weight and then trickles by 1/10th grain until it is done and is much, much more accurate consistently and this has sped up my reloading times drastically. It is the only powder measurer(s) I have ever used so I am sure there are better out there but if you go with Lyman, make sure you get the newer version of the gen. 6.

I have the CM Lite and I've been very happy with it. I calibrate it every time and give at least an hour's warm-up . I've got roughly 500 charges through it and it's yet to overthrow one. It's not as quick with the lighter powders (CFE223). A reprogrammed CM combo is faster, but I believe the occasional overthrow, stop, dump powder and rethrow more than makes up for it. The scale reads and stabilizes very quick.

The Lyman is junk and so is the Hornady. The CM lite is the one to own. It's nicer than the regular chargmaster as it's much more modern and updated. Throws a better charge too.

Bought a regular CM a couple years ago and it has been amazing compared to hand weighing and trickling! One of my most satisfying purchases... I hate hand weighing!

I assumed the CM lite was just a scaled down version of the regular? Will have to do some research... a second one would be nice, especially if the lite version is even better than the regular.

From what I’m told the Lite uses a load cell with a lower total weight capacity than the the original CM. That was a significant cost savings for the Lite vs. Original.
There were some refinements to the design and programming, making it one assembly, eliminating the need for a McDonalds straw, hacking the programming, etc.
So it’s an updated design more in tune with what the majority of us load.

Yeah u got to figure the CM is also a 10+ year old design. The lite even though it's priced lower is actually much nicer. The screen is awesome and much easier to read and use as well. I got mine for Xmas and I like it alot more than the CM I used for years. I think it throws a better charge as well.

If u shot around and use cupons you can get one for like $180-90 shipped.

Thanks guys!
Read some reviews online as well and sounds like the Lite is at least as good or better than the old one. Not often something that is cheaper is as good or better!
The best price I saw with only looking for a few minutes was around $230, so I guess I'll need to watch for sales/deals.

Replaced my Gen 6 with a CM Lite. The Lyman isn't as bad as the Hornady but it isn't as accurate as the CM Lite. My CM Lite keeps up with my big Chargemaster just fine. CM Lite is hard to beat for the price it's at.