• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lyman trimmer?

chuff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
SW Colorado
Anyone using a lyman trimmer? How do you like it? I'm trying to decide between the lyman and the RCBS and I'm looking for input. How about something completely different? Is there a different trimmer in this same hundred dollar price range that's better than either of these? I tried the search function, but I didn't have any luck. I know everyone says buy the giraud (sp?) "buy once cry once" and all that. The thing is, I just can't afford it right now.

Re: lyman trimmer?

I don't like lathe-type trimmers much, and the Lyman and RCBS fall into that classification.

I prefer the Possum Hollow trimmers, alot cheaper and alot faster, or the Giraud of course. These two are all I have, now.

If you are intent on a lathe-type, look at the Wilson. Everyone who likes that type raves about them.

Get the Giraud power trimmer and never look back.

Absent buying a Giraud and dropping ~$500 with all of the caliber/cutter accessories, I've been happy with my Lyman Universal.

For 14 years, it's worked pretty well and I sported $20 for the drill adapter cutting bar to speed things up. I like the Universal chuck, which dispenses with any shell holders you might need with other lathe type trimmers. I reload ~14 calibers, so it's a bonus.

I can do about 10-12 a minute when I'm cranking along.

Chris

Different strokes for different folks. My time is more valuable then saving a few bucks and going cheap.

Went the cheap route for along time and it worked but i rather spend less time on the bench and more time out shooting or doing other things. So it was a great investment for me.

Wilson with the power adapter rocks, I don't get why anybody would buy a RCBS Lyman or Hornadee, the Wilson is simple and easy, and most of all rock solid repeatable, and cheaper.

I've had a Lyman Universal trimmer since they were first available, something like the early 70s and it's on its third cutter head now. I bought it after a the American Rifleman gave it a good review.

Mine works quite well. I really like that the case head indexes off a solid steel post so finished length is NOT dependant on a simple collet type shell holder. The simple and fast to use "universal" shell holder is very nice. Lyman's (standard) inclusion of some 9 case pilots in the most common calibers is good too, I've never needed another pilot.

Hand trimming cases, in normal quanites anyway, is fast enough for me so a $500 high speed case trimmer would be foolish for me!

Trimming is not rocket science. Absolute precision in trimming is a LOT less important than some folks seem to think. No matter how precisely we trim our cases today they will have slighlty varing lengths after the next firing and FL sizing anyway.

Perhaps the best thing about the Lyman tool is its versitility. Most other Lyman made case prep tools will fit it. Primer pocket reamers/cleaners, pocket uniformer cutters, deburr tool, etc. all work quit well in the basic trimmer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilson with the power adapter rocks, I don't get why anybody would buy a RCBS Lyman or Hornadee, the Wilson is simple and easy, and most of all rock solid repeatable, and cheaper. </div></div>

I'm not a Lyman fanboy, but frankly, trimming isn't rocket science and with my cordless drill, it's as fast as any other lathe type trimmer.

The Universal chuck, as opposed to Wilson (et al) case holders means it's cheaper and it comes with the pilots which keep mouth wobble to zero. It has a microfine adjustment collar and does a fairly good job of hitting the target length.

At like $55 and $20 for the power adapter w/extra cutting head, I don't know why anybody wouldn't buy a Lyman. No fuss, no muss.

I don't trim thousands of cases at a stretch so it's not a big deal for me.

Chris

I've trimmed thousands of 308, 243 on mine. While I'd like the Gerard, the Lyman works great.

I have had the Lyman since the mid 70's I have gone through some cutters and had to replace the universal shell holder about 5 years back. Given the amount brass trimmed using the power adapter I think the service has been great.

Recently, I picked up a Possum Hollow trimmer in 223 and power adapter on floor standing drill press and I have to say it rocks. I will be getting one for the 308 and 30-06 families of brass. I see one big benefit of the Possoum Hollow trimmers is it is extremely easy to switch caliber, just chuck in another cutter.

Free advice and you may have overpaid,

I am using the Lyman for 300wm. Trimming is precise, and the universal holder is pretty fast. I have a Dillon Power trimmer, but have not set it up yet.