• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M 107 fails in a firefight? Improvise, adapt, overcome...Call customer service!

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    A Marine's .50-caliber sniper rifle failed during a firefight — so he called customer service [IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Task & Purpose","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/static3.businessinsider.com\/image\/537b752169beddac11384fac-100\/task-and-purpose.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/static1.businessinsider.com\/image\/58fe1c087522cacd008b5b2f-2400"}[/IMG2]
    A Marine sights in on his M-107 sniper rifle. Wikimedia Commons

The Barrett M107 .50-caliber long-range sniper rifle is a firearm made for the modern war on terrorism. Officially adopted by the U.S. Army in 2002 and boasting a 2,000-meter range, a suppressor-ready muzzle brake, and recoil-minimizing design, the semi-automatic offers "greater range and lethality against personnel and materiel targets than other sniper systems in the U.S. inventory," according to anassessment by Military.com.

While Barrett's reputation of "flawless reliability" has made the M107 the sniper weapon of choice, the rifle is just like any other essential tool: It often breaks when you need it most. And that's apparently what happened to one Marine Corps unit pinned down in a firefight, according to one of Barrett's longtime armorers.

Don Cook, a Marine veteran who's been maintaining M107s for more than two decades, told National Geographic in 2011 that he one day received a call to Barrett's workshop from a harried young Marine. During maintenance of the unit's M107, the Marine had bent the ears of the rifle's lower receiver; the next day, after engaging the enemy, they discovered the rifle wouldn't fire consistently.

Despite the unit's lack of tools (and time), Cook knew exactly what to do. The armorer instructed the Marines to use the bottom of the carrier to bend the ears back down. Within 45 seconds, the weapon was firing properly. "Thank you very much," Cook says they told him, then he heard a dial tone. They had a firefight to get back to.

"It's probably one of the biggest highlights of my life, to be able to help a Marine unit during a firefight," Cook told National Geographic.

Watch Cook describe the phone call (starting at 9:26):

https://youtu.be/D0MJul9CiU0

Last edited:
    He got lucky apparently.

I called Barrett last week with a technical question and got transferred 3 times with 2 voicemails for techs that weren't there during business hours.

He got lucky apparently.

I called Barrett last week with a technical question and got transferred 3 times with 2 voicemails for techs that weren't there during business hours.

Milary units are given special customer service numbers:

1(800)ZIP-NWYR
    1(800)SHT-NFAN
    1(800)LJG-REAL

and, for when the above numbers are busy or hold times are "long due to higher than expected call volume", there is this number, to be used as a last resort in the direst of circumstances:

1(800)IFI-GETOUTOFTHIS, ext. IWILLFINDYOU.

He got lucky apparently.

Shoulda called me, German. I took the Barrett Armour's Course out at the NRA Whittington Center....though its been over 10 years.

Ears on the lower that can easily be bent during routine cleaning, which leads to malfunctions, would seem to be a pretty significant design flaw...

i dont want to be a dick, but i'm not buying it...
    called in the middle of a firefight, bullshit...
    "then he heard a dialtone, they had a firefight to get back to" try that shit on your mom, aint workin with me...

The story immortalized in Heartbreak Ridge where a Marine calls in an air strike using a credit card on a phone line... is also based in reality.

Not exactly the way it was shown in the movie. But there were two instances... One was a group of Seals called in for an AC130 from a land-line at the Governor General's house. And in another, a group of Marines used a pay phone and a credit card to call in artillery support.

Also the 'bulldozer' scene in Heartbreak ridge is based on a real event. John Abizaid (who went on to be General Abizaid head CentCom) and his troops used a bulldozer to move in on a bunker, firing from behind the earth-mover.

Strange things can happen when people 'improvise, adapt and overcome' to steal a phrase!

Cheers,

Sirhr

The story immortalized in Heartbreak Ridge where a Marine calls in an air strike using a credit card on a phone line... is also based in reality.

Not exactly the way it was shown in the movie. But there were two instances... One was a group of Seals called in for an AC130 from a land-line at the Governor General's house. And in another, a group of Marines used a pay phone and a credit card to call in artillery support.

Also the 'bulldozer' scene in Heartbreak ridge is based on a real event. John Abizaid (who went on to be General Abizaid head CentCom) and his troops used a bulldozer to move in on a bunker, firing from behind the earth-mover.

Strange things can happen when people 'improvise, adapt and overcome' to steal a phrase!

Cheers,

Sirhr

There's always a, "I can't/didn't do it, so it must be false."

Well, after I got out, my buddy called me from Iraq about J-arms breaking (they used to snap right off) and I called an engineer at ITT and they said nobody ever told them they break. Hard to believe, but seldom do soldiers take it upon themselves to call it in. Nobody else will, so it doesn't get done. Anyway, they changed the design after that, started using a tougher, flexible material. How much my call had to do with it, I don't know.

i dont want to be a dick, but i'm not buying it...
    called in the middle of a firefight, bullshit...
    "then he heard a dialtone, they had a firefight to get back to" try that shit on your mom, aint workin with me...

I'm pretty skeptical of this as well.

Afghanistan is 9 1/2 hours ahead of Tennessee, so for the times to even line up would be pretty rare. When I was in Afghanistan, most of us carried Roshan cellphones and we had a few numbers on speed dial. Comms were always shitty over there, so we had things like the battalion TOC, medevac, etc. plugged in. I seriously doubt they had Barrett on speed dial, and there is no way to look up their number while you're on patrol. I had a weapon system go down once, beyond the point of being able to figure it out (I was shooting SLAP rounds and the polymer sabot got wedged in the barrel and when I transitioned to regular ammunition the sabot was blocking the full caliber round to seat) and I never once thought "man I wish I had the number to their customer service!" Not saying my case is the same for all, but it's highly suspect.

Truth is in the detail.

Likely what happened is that a base got probed and they returned fire and had a fuck up and called it in later while trying to unfuck that rifle. Not sure about the M107 these days, what Barrett does, but KAC's shit always had their number on it and I generally had "shit" from companies that had their number such as instructions, manuals and shit --nothing I'd have on my kit though, why I think if this DID happen it happened the way I explained or similar to it. We frequently called mfg.'s from the range for various reasons (well, not that frequent). Gunfire could be heard and we were short and to the point. A company could also decide to up their sales by embellishing it a bit.

Not sure about your army, the one I was in operated 24/7 and most of our ops were at night! But yeah, Iraq is something like 12 hours off so most of the calls I got were at midnight when they were rolling back in the wire --they don't have time to shoot the shit on ops so not many day calls over here.

I do recall a guy doing something no-shit like this but I cannot remember any of the details for the life of me. It was a decade or more ago at least. Wanna say it was this SF guy I met that took 3 to the chest, 3 separate pop ups, before he thought it'd be a good idea to change positions. He smoked the fuck out of an M4, that fact was apparent, cooked, warped barrel and broken bolt lugs. Still worked! I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it.