• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

allghilliedup04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Salem, Oregon
I was looking into the smith and Wesson compact. I already have a 40 full size and love it. Just wanting owners opinions on them or other similar handguns of the same price range.

Re: m&p compact

I have the full size 9 and compact 9, both are great guns and the compact is excellent for concealed carry.

I was hoping to get her a 40 but idk how she'll do with the recoil but id prefer it. How does your wife do with the 40 VA?

Regarding the M&P compact: I highly recommend. I EDC an M&P9c; it has been very reliable and I find it to be nearly as accurate as my full-size M&P (the accuracy difference is more-than-likely me, no doubt...) As for the .40 for your wife I'd have her try one before you buy it if at all possible. I found the always snappy .40 to be uncomfortably so in the compact. I personally prefer .357 Sig in a compact although I believe Smith may have stopped offering the M&P compact in .357. Of course your (your wife's) mileage may vary, as they say. Thus the recommendation to have her try one out.
wink.gif

Both my wife and I carry M&P 40 compacts. I can't recommend one highly enough. My admittedly limited experience with the compact 9mm M&P has shown those to be as reliable and accurate as the .40s. When my wife picked hers up initially, it would lock the slide back with one round left in the magazine. I contacted S&W, they sent a label to us and had us box the gun up and ship it to them. Had it back less than two weeks later with a new slide release and haven't had another issue out of it. My compact .40 is just as accurate in my hands as a Sig P239 and has less recoil than one of those in .40.

One of my friends has a Springfield XD40 subcompact that he loves. I've shot it and it seems just fine to me as well. He hasn't had reliability issues that I know about, and people seem to use the XDs as much as M&Ps. I personally prefer the M&P - it just feels better, carries well, and looks better to me. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them, but if you're already familiar with the full size M&P I see no reason not to get a compact version.

You can't go wrong with the M&P in my opinion. I have a M&P 40c and shoot it better than I do full size Glocks.

Another +1 for M&P 40c. Very satisfied with mine. Only thing I did was add Trijicon sights to it. Federal classic 185gr JHP ammo has mild recoil- IMO

yea yall are confirming what i was already thinking... "i want one" lol

how is the 357 sig for ammo prices? i was thinking it might be a good one for my wife, more power than a nine obviously but less recoil than the 40?

thoughts please

no more M&P357 guns manufactured per S&W.
I would choose 40 over 357 Sig, though my preference is the 9MM.
Great guns though. I own a M&P9 Pro and a M&P45 Mid.

i didnt think so but i googled it to check (before you post this) and it still showed up on s&w website. I really want the 40 but i guess its up to my wife since it will be her pistol.. gonna see if i can get my hands on one though for her to test it out.. thanks for all the input guys i appreciate it

I will add another plus 1 to the great comments on the M&P 40c, it is my everyday carry and I love it. As far as it being good for your wife, that is for you and her to figure out. If your wife is thin or girly then the 9 would probably be better, but if she has some toughness to her the 40 would not be a bad option, it doesn't kick too crazy