• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

pbrainey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
Chatsworth, GA
I have been debating the semi auto 40 cal choices, glock, M&P, XD, blah blah.Then I saw the M&P vtac and thought DDAAAMMMNN, thats a cool gun!!! Just wondering if anyone owns or has shot one and what they think about it?

Re: M&P vtac

I had a M&P 40 and loved the way it shot. Besides the upgraded sight and color, I believe they are the same gun. Comfortable to shoot, lower than normal recoil, and reliability. What's not to love. Pick it up!!!!!

I own the 9mm version of it. It shoots just as well as my M&P .45 and .357 Sig. The sights are a big plus. To look at them in a magazine or on-line, they appear to be quite "busy". In your hand, it is anything but. The FO's are very easy for the eye to pick up on in day light, and there is no "bleed over" to the tritium night sights. The same goes for low-light/no light shooting. The tritium's are not "fogged over" one bit by the FO's. The FO's really aid in doing one-handed drills.

You can pick up the sights alone for around $240. A friend had a set installed on his compact M&P .357 sig. But for a total package under $700, not a bad choice.

Only drawback I have seen thus far is purchasing additional magazines with the brown floor plate. IMO, that is purely cosmetic though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$240 for a set of sights? </div></div>

Yup. Go to the VTAC web site and take a gander. They are pricey.
I have a 9MM VTAC on hand. The sights are nice but all the little dots confuse my feeble old brain.
My M&P45 has Truglo sights and I like them a bunch.

Yeah I really like the sights on it, and since i was probably going to coat it anyways the paint job is a plus as well. I thought about just ordering it online since it will probably be hard to find one around these POS gun shops where I live, and even if they did have one they'd probably try to get an arm and a leg out of it. I think I saw one on cheaper than dirt for like 600, but I'm sure they'll sell out before i get the funds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stormshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the 9mm version of it.</div></div>

Any trigger upgrades or does it need a bunch of Apex parts like other M&Ps?

—Andreas

I've only gotten to dry fire one in a local shop, but I thought the trigger felt smoother than the trigger in my regular FS 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stormshadow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the 9mm version of it.</div></div>

Any trigger upgrades or does it need a bunch of Apex parts like other M&Ps?

—Andreas </div></div>

I am not sure. I have never fired one with the Apex installed, so I cannot make any true comparisons. I found the trigger to be crisper than that on my .45 and .357 sig M&P's.

You will want at least the sear from apex. The only model that has any different trigger parts is the pro and even then its just springs and a sear would still be in order. IMO