• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Garand and AP bullets

Garand

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2005
E. Washington State
I have come upon a good supply of pulled .30 AP bullets from LC 53 ammo. I am wondering if anybody has any load data on these bullets loaded into new commercial brass. I understand that the stuff was suppose to be loaded with WC 852 powder I believe and the M1 Ball used IMR 4895 I'd like to get close to the velocity of original loads.

Re: M1 Garand and AP bullets

AP (M2) was loaded with 55 grns of WC 852 for a velocity of 2715 fps. The Bullet weight is 165.7 grns. This is per TM 43-0001-27

I'd think that 47 grns of 4895 would get you pretty dern close. If you have a chonny, you can tweak it until you are right on.

I use the 47 grn 4895 load in my M1 (168 SMK) and Model 70 1000 yard gun (175 SMKs) and they both are close to the M72s in the respective guns.

Anyway that should be a pretty good starting place.

Re: M1 Garand and AP bullets

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if maybe the 165 gr. AP bullets required a different powder and that was why WCC 852 was used in them, it must be close to same burn rate as IMR 4895 or wouldn't work in Garands.

Thanks, I do have Chrony so will start a little low and see and work up.