• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition M1 Garand T26 Tanker

GTOdragster

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2012
I have this old rifle that I have been told is a "tanker" model. Asking several different "experts" I have received several different answers. It has a Winchester receiver, #244xx02 and the barrel is marked 7.64 nato. I believe at one time I found markings about Arlington Arsenal. Can anyone with authority, tell me what I have and its approximate value?

Will you be wanting to use it for F-TR? I'm not sure 7.64 nato is allowed in F-TR; we are limited to .308/7.62 NATO or .223/5.56 NATO chamberings.

:)

The mil never fielded the short T26 Garand as far as I know. If yours was cut down it is a commercial modification. Check out Deans Gun Restorations for pricing. I believe he is making Tankers.

Edit - My error it is Tim Shufflin, Shuffs Parkerizing, that is making Tankers.

Last edited:
I have this old rifle that I have been told is a "tanker" model. Asking several different "experts" I have received several different answers. It has a Winchester receiver, #244xx02 and the barrel is marked 7.64 nato. I believe at one time I found markings about Arlington Arsenal. Can anyone with authority, tell me what I have and its approximate value?
This is probably not the right place for this thread but, that being said-- There never was an issued T26 "Tanker" but several companies attempted to make their version of a "Tanker". Most notably was FedOrd in El Monte, California. Those were generally junk and had a hard time running. I have even seen FedOrd two piece receivers. Some years ago Arlington Arsenal came along with their version. They had the short wood front handguard as did the original T-26. Most of them were in .30-06. The good thing about the gun was that in general, they did run correctly and did not break. They were a great, fun gun. I have made several of them. They went to miners and trappers and some went into Super Cubs as survival rifles. I got the parts kits from "The Garand Man" in New York. Usually they shot about 1½" at 100 yds. That being said--If your gun looks and shoots to your satisfaction, It is probably worth about $800 to $1000, depending on how bad someone wants it. As I said, function is most important and accuracy should follow.
HTH
Craig

1 1/2" at 100 yds? I think thats alittle bit of wishful thinking. A full length Garand will have a hard time producing those groups with handloads.

1 1/2" at 100 yds? I think thats alittle bit of wishful thinking. A full length Garand will have a hard time producing those groups with handloads.
When Krieger came out with their Criterion line of M1 barrels, They sent me 5. I mounted them and tested them. They were all under 2" barrels. Two of them were absolute tack drivers. The barrels on the tankers are new manufacture barrels and shoot quite well. As for my "Bonifides"-- I have over 40 place medals from "LEG" matches from all over the country but I'll have to admit that I never broke above a 460 with a Garand. A lot of that was when we would get 50 cartridges and a rifle match for a buck. How much experience do you have shooting a tuned Garand?

Well maybe not as much as you I dont know but I have been around. I have yet to see any Garand that will shoot all 8 rds in a 1 1/2 group all day long. Maybe I just dont hang out with the right groups of shooters

Thanks for the reply! Please note a type error on my part. It is 7.62 nato not 7.64. By chance were you in the Marine Corps.? I have a friend of mine whom is a retired Master Gunnery Sarge. who built MANY rifles for the Marine shooting teams. I do not plan on shooting this unit in any competition. I picked it up several years from a guy who had no idea what he had.

Thanks for the reply! Please note a type error on my part. It is 7.62 nato not 7.64. By chance were you in the Marine Corps.? I have a friend of mine whom is a retired Master Gunnery Sarge. who built MANY rifles for the Marine shooting teams. I do not plan on shooting this unit in any competition. I picked it up several years from a guy who had no idea what he had.
Goat driver- Army-Field Artillery. First trip to Perry in '62; last time 2002. Had to become a reservist to go shoot. I got my training from W.E. Young and Mike Gingher. Built guns for a lot of folks. Mostly 14s for some of the USAF team and NG guys like Ron Fleishhacker.
Craig

You really shouldn't call him "sarge." :D

I recently discovered in my "archives" several rounds of 30/06 cases marked LC 69 Match. Can anyone shed some light on what I have?

Lake City Match ammo made in 1969 with what I beleive are 173-gr. full metal jacket boat tail bullets