• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M1 Garand typical accuracy?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Hey guys,

We like to collect a few milsurps to bang around at the range occasionally (have an 03 FFL), but our real passion is long range shooting.

My younger son has a b'day coming up, and he's thinking about an M1 from CMP... He asked me what type of accuracy they "typically" deliver- and I told him I "thought" typical battle rifle (if in good condition)- maybe 2-4 minutes.

He "wants" (as a lot of teenagers do!) but I'm thinking I should steer him away from this because:

He's not a fan of shooting irons. I haven't seen any scope mount options that are viable, and would not permanently alter the rifle (please, no "scout mounts"). Are there any?

We're also "sticklers" for accuracy, guess that comes from the long-range thing. He's tickled with the K-31 he just got, and we're going to scope that one (seems to be accurate enough to justify an optic)- but I think, nope- I know, he won't be happy with a 3 or 4 minute rifle...

I'm not opposed to bedding the rifle and/or installing pillars as we do with every other rifle, I assume this will help...and we handload, which obviously <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> help...

But even with those being factored in, what is a <span style="font-style: italic">reasonable</span> expectation for accuracy with this weapon?

Re: M1 Garand typical accuracy?

Minute of Man. Some shoot much better, some dont. Also depends on what you feed it. Iron can be very accurate, just ask the F class guys that we outshoot from slings/irons. So dont dismiss the rifle cause it aint got glass. Also, unless its a C or D, dont F is up by sticking glass on it.

Its cool your son digs the old stuff, so get him one and let him play. Who knows, maybe he will want to take up service rifle shooting next (just move right into an AR though, if he does that as the old stuff will only frustrate him in the competition realm.)

Also, dont mess with bedding, etc. Get the Garand for what it is, use it as such. He will have fun, regardless as he aint getting it to go shoot benchrest.

Most Garands with decent barrels will shoot 2-3 MOA. With just a few simple well known accurizing tricks the same rifle will shoot half that. Proper glass bedding, a new barrel and a few NM parts will make one really shine.

FWIW
    Fulton Armory guarantees 1 moa with Hornady 30 06 Springfield Match.

With a pile of $$ and match ammo they can be made to shoot well. Garands are not target rifles,they were made for man sized target killing machines
    A standard Garand in excellent condition you will get a average of 3-4 inch 8 rd groups with good surplus ammo at 100yds .
    Yes someone will chime in saying they get much better than this but I am talking about 8 rds /normal day in day out groups. Not cherry picking group size that was shot on a good day when the stars were aligned just right

Mudcat...

That's kinda what I told him...

Get it, and enjoy it for what it is...

I'm sure he'll have fun with it, it's a great piece of history.

He's just impatient, as kids often are, and gets all pizzed if the wind is howling and he can't hold minute of angle at 300-600 yards...

He just needs to keep his expectations realistic, and leave precision, to precision rifles!

CMP used to offer a scope mount that clamped on the barrell above and below which replaced the rear upper hand guard. This scout type mount has worked well for me using a Leupold pistol scope. Surprisingly it has held up well and holds zero. It is a big help to me as I am now left eyed right handed having lost my right eye by schrapnel on active duty. I hated to give up shooting my M1 as I could not get comfortable shooting left handed. This is just the answer for me. Big thing also is it does not alter the rifle and you can put it back to original easily. CMP quit selling them, but I think Brownells offers the same or similiar (Brownels also give mil discounts if you did not know) Here is the link, hopefully it will post.http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24756/Product/MINI-SCOUT-MOUNT
    Hope this helps.

My garand will consistently shoot under 2 moa with am eagle m1 ammo and my own loads using 150 gr fmj bt hirnady bulk and military brass. If you want an accurate long range gun and you don't load, look at something else. This rifle is an infantry unit battle rifle. Military specs for the gun are. 4 moa or less so it is a crap shoot with the cmp. My ar will outshoot my garand while i am blindfolded but i still love hearing the m1 smack the heck out if the 200 yard gong at my range!

M1M278HXPjpg.jpg

Greek ammo, prone unsupported, and not a good shooter. CMP special grade (new barrel).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Get it for him. Its about more than the rifle. </div></div>

Exactly...John Garand's legend...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Exactly...John Garand's legend...</div></div>
    Amen!! Not enough younger folks are interested in old war horses like the Garand or the '03 Springfield. At the club where I go shoot the old military rifles with an older friend of mine I'm 20 years younger than anyone else there, and I'm 34. It's sad really. The first time I went those old gentlemen couldn't believe somebody my age was interested in anything like that. It's worth going every month just to see the smiles on their faces when I walk onto the firing line with that old M1. I think it's great that your son is interested in the old battle rifles. Those K31's are real shooters too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Get it for him. Its about more than the rifle. </div></div>

Exactly...John Garand's legend... </div></div>

No. Its about a son and father doing something together. He wants it. Its not unreasonable. You get it. He never forgets it, whether its a .5 or a 5 moa rifle.

Besides, they can all be accurized.

Absolutely, Casey.

A trip to Manatee (range) is how I entice my older son home from college for the weekend!!

It's all about making memories, we can never get these days back.

Its an unwritten Man rule: Every Man should at some point in his life own an M1 Garand and a 1911 and be able to shoot them well. Just my way of thinking.

Ive got a CMP M1 and get about 2-3 MOA with it. Like everyone else has said, get it for what it is. Its a living piece of history, and a legendary rifle. I love to admire the history that mine holds..... And shoot it of course!

I(think that for us older guys, owning a shooter Garand is somewhat like a rite of passage. I believe I was fortunate enough to be one of thw last guys (early 1966) to go through Marine Corps ITR getting trained on the M1 Garand.

I got one through the DCM in the Mid-1990's, and it was/is in remarkably nice shape. It served me for NRA N/M comp for half a decade, then was replaced by an M1A, but while the scores went up (a bit), the satisfaction wasn't the same; despite my having spent all the rest of my time in The Corps toting around my issued M-14.

After the N/M phase, I did some minor mods. I added 1" rubber butt plate extension, and replaced the front sight unit with hooded match unit that accepts interchangeable front sight shapes. It ended up with a ring-on-post shape that makes peep sight usage much nicer. The stock had already been glassbedded and refinished with Tru-Oil. These mods made it illegal as a service comp rifle, although it could be converted back if I ever had a real need.

Using 150gr/50.0gr IMR-4064 handloads in Rem brass, it shoots as well as a match Garand rifle, and is one of my most enjoyable rifles.

Greg

If you stick with the 2-4 MOA expectation you will likely not be disappointed with your M1 when it shows up.

Lots of people will line up to dispute this. I prefer to stay attached to reality and averages, not the one odd rifle that shoots better than that and they ignore the wide shots when calculating their "group size" saying in their minds, "uh, I pulled that one it don't count".

No, a Service Grade M1 will not shoot like your K31. Heck few NM M1s will shoot as well as your K31.

Having shot the as-issued wooden rifles of many varieties alongside others in some rather large matches, you get a good statistical view of what the rifles, ammo, and shooters are capable of. While the M1 is masterable, it is one of the harder wooden rifles to shoot accurately and consistently. Poor cheek weld, sloping forward area for forward hand, lots of mechanical movement every time it fires, relatively stout recoil, iron sights (though arguably the best iron sights on a wooden rifle of its era) don't contribute to bench rest accuracy.

I got my Garand from DCM back in the early 80s. I shot the crap out of it when I was running sniper schools using M1C/Ds.

I got into informal competitions with a M-60 seeing who could get the most rounds on target in the shortest amount of time (I won). More then once I shot my Garand to the point sap was seeping out of the upper hand guard.

Using a Muzzle and Throat Erosion Gage my Garand should be shot out BUT:

I shot this target last fall practicing for a CMP GSM match. This was prone rappid fire.

As you can see, one click up, and one click right, it would have cleaned the target.

The X/10 ring on the CMP GSM targets is 3.5 minutes. If your gun can shoot 3.5 MOA, the gun is capable of winning any GSM match out there..........its the shooter.

Like I said, my Garand is worn out, but still shoots 3.5 or under from a sling, unsupported position.

Now if I can just do it standing on my hind legs.

M1%20Target.JPG

I got mine down to 2 minutes which is a-typical for the garand. I believe the military specs were 4" at 100 yards back when they were issued but most shoot around the 2.5-3minute mark.

I do not have pictures but this was confirmed over 6 4-shot groups my last time out. There were a few bad shots but 3 out of 24 is about my rate for poor shots from a supported position.

You have to be honest with yourself when assessing accuracy. My ar can and has shot 1/4moa groups but it averages about .6moa through several different load devs so i call it a .6 moa shooter. Remember, this is the internet, no one cares, you are only lying to yourself when you make unfair assessments of your equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubledown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its an unwritten Man rule: Every Man should at some point in his life own an M1 Garand and a 1911 and be able to shoot them well. Just my way of thinking.</div></div> It should be a written rule.

Ditto on the comments here. My 1943 Win w/ HXP surplus shoots 2-3" groups at 100. I have a restored match Garand w/ Kreiger barrel (which is accurate and should be) however, I actually like shooting the '43 and surplus better. Seems more historical for some reason.

As others have said 2-3" groups with a good barrel. Some what better with tailored hand loads.