• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 grand in 30-06 load request

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
As the title says,any suggestions and recomendations asall ideas for an M1 in 06. I have the following powders
Varget and R-15. As well as plan on useing sierra 155 and 168.
I tried the load section and came up empty handed.
I plan on just the Grand for funand maybe competitions. even though it will hit the broad side of abarn at 200 any day.

thanks in advance

memo

Re: M1 grand in 30-06 load request

46 grains of varget with a 168 shoots great in my Garand.

thank you sir, I will work up to it. Ill start at 44.5and work up.

memo

Memo43,

I recently acquired a Garand, and i feel your pain. I have done a lot of research (short of buying an older garand re-loading manual) and have developed an informed opinion (in my view) of how to reload safely for a garand.

During a lot of my research, i repeatedly ran across the following over-simplified advice;
1. "do not shoot bullets heavier than 180grains" and
2. "do not use slow burning powders in the Garand"
3. "lighter weight bullets in the 150gr range is ok"

The advice above center around the fact that the achilles heel of the garand is its op-rod.

Make sure you have the "77" oprod, also known as the oprod with the stress relief cut built into it. Unless you want the WWII era op-rod for collectors sake, i wouldnt mess with them as they are far more prone to bending than the re-designed op-rods.

With regard to the 3 items above, the fact is that modern, medium to slow burning powders can exceed the design limit of the op-rod even with loads well below max. This is true whether or not you are shooting a 150gr bullet or a 200grain bullet.

The garand's spec required that it launch a 150grain bullet at 2800ft/sec. At the time, some of the powders used to achieve this velocity was IMR4895, IMR 4064, and BLC(2). The muzzle pressure of the above powders are 8,650psi, 8,531psi, and 8,863psi respectively.

This tells me that if I limit the muzzle pressure to the above values, then i can safely operate my garand with any powder and bullet weight i choose.

I have also found that the reloading manuals out there for the garand are sooo conservative as to be unduly limiting of the capability of this rifle.

The Hornday reloading manual is a case in point...i have run some of the recommended loads through quickload, and the highest muzzle pressure corresponds to Reloader 15. I believe that it produces a muzzle pressure of around 8,300-8,400psi.

Personally, i have settled on Hogdon Bechmark as my go to powder for the garand. It is temperaure stable, and gives me the highest velocity for the minimum charge weight. I can launch a 175 SMK at 2700ft/sec, with a muzzle pressure less than 8,000psi. As you can see, this load is actually EASIER on my op-rod than the run of mill mil-surp ammo and recommended loads in some reloading manuals.

I have also loaded up some Varget behind the 175SMK...i used 49.5gr behind 175SMK and COAL of 3.24". Haven't chronoed this load, but the muzzle pressure is 8,286psi, and chanber pressure is 44,947psi.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tx for the indepth responce. I wold like to say that my grandis a collectors item, but then again not all part are original. It has an 07 barrel, boyds stock and had the gun smiths over at cmp and replace pretty much everything that was deemed weak or not good.
Maybe next time I find myself in Houston, Ill take you out to whataburger on me

memo

Off the top of my head 45 grains AA2520 and a nosler 168 was what I used in mine. Lighter load but shot my best group with it. 46 varget should mirror that.

thanks to all for the info.
Maybe I can bribe the moderators to create a sticky in the load section for M1 grands.

memo

Memo43,

Remember my post above. A lot of the information on that link is consistent with the oversimplification I was discussing earlier. I'm not insinuating that the information presented therein is wrong or unsafe, only that it is over simplified, and some of the language in the sierra article precludes the modern shooter from the ability to use the right tools to shoot non-conservative loads out of his/her rifle safely.

My position is that the use of modern powders (Benchmark, H4895 for example) along with software such as QUICKLOAD to verify that the selected charge weight and COAL does not exceed maximum "safe" port pressure on the Garand can enable the reloader to really "push" the capabilities of the Garand and the -06 cartridge without damaging the rifle.

Having said that, please be aware that you cannot "push" a Garand as far as you can a bolt gun or a Browning BAR without damaging the rifle. However, for my purposes (Hunting, and open sight Garand matches) The loads i'm playing with (178AMAX and 175SMK at 2700-2800ft/sec) are fit for purpose.

YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady manual has a section dedicated to M1 Garand reloading. </div></div>

And it is anemic at best.

I am starting load development for mine right now. I will post results if I get time to shoot this week.