• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1 Grand Stretched Brass?

dmfinley

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2023
Oklahoma
Just shot my dad's M1 Grand for the first time. Case came out with thinned out ring around it. What would cause this?
IMG_3104.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: kilizyrag
STOP SHOOTING that rifle... have a gunsmith check the headspace !!

Agree, but probably not the ammo for a Garand.
Photo of NEW Vs Fired from that gun would help.
You shot the whole box and they all came out like that?

Here's what a NEW case looks like.
New-30-06-Steel-case.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I guess that caught a few of you off guard :)
My guess is the groove is needed with some Russian tooling to roll form the case to final dimensions.
It's Berdan primed so it's once and done.
More better American tooling doesn't need the groove to keep the case in position.
Maybe, maybe not.

That Russian ammo may or may not be suitable for an M1 Garand, I don't know. The Garand's design make it sensitive to excessive gas port pressures, excessive gas port pressure, besides beating the action unnecessarily, can cause a bent operating rod, which you don't want. The Garand was designed around powders like IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 and in particular, slower powders will have higher port pressures. I have shot Garands in High Power competition until I switched to the AR platform in the mid 2000s, and I had good results with IMR 4064 and 168 gr. and 175 gr. Sierra Match Kings.

Zinc plated

Cool pull, I have never seen that stuff before. That zinc really looked like aluminum to me ... like WTF.

Thanks for the education.

I don't feel bad about falling for it since the original post was intentionally misleading. Acting as if the ring didn't exist before.

Last edited:
Might not have been intentionally misleading.

Took Dad's Garand out to shoot, bought a cheap box of .30-06, shot the box.
Picked up the brass and noticed the ring.

Made his 1st post here.
@dmfinley chalk it up to education.
BUT, I probably wouldn't shoot any more of it in a Garand.

Last edited:
If John Cantius Garand wanted you to shoot steel case ammo, Lake City and the rest would have made it. Keep that Commie shit out of the M-1!
John