• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M118 Special Ball

macman2564

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2009
Enterprise, AL
Have the opportunity to buy 660 rounds of LC 173gr M118 special ball ammo, same lot number, 1990 production. Will end up costing a little over $600. Haven't really heard to much about it and wanted an inside scoop.

Thanks alot.

Re: M118 Special Ball

good stuff i think but obsolete to military after they have gone to the newer m118lr 175 grain smk bullet.

Obsolete? I have learned to dislike that term. In Afghanistan, the Soviets caught hell from a bunch of "freedom fighters" firing at them with "obsolete" .303 Enfields. The .303 bullets didn't know they were "obsolete" when they penetrated the Soviets bodies and destroyed every organ in their path.

Put in Physics terms my answer would be:

F = M x A

Force equals Mass times Acceleration. Put plainly, if you hit something with this projectile, you'll still KILL it, regardless of whether this is the newest or the oldest generation of 7.62x51 M118 sniper cartridges.

if it was me, <span style="font-weight: bold">I'd BUY IT!</span>

Reactions: tom30calglassburn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRYFOX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranger, Obsolete doesn't mean useless. </div></div>

That was the point I was making!

grin.gif

Some rifles like it, some hate it. I'd plan on 1 to 0.75 MOA accuracy out of it from a bolt rifle.

LC brass will last a long time if you reload.

I'd get it, shoot it, then reload the brass with 175 SMK or 178 A-max.

It all depends on what you're going to use it for.

M118SB ammo uses the old 173gr. "match" bullet that was originally used in the .30-'06 M72 Match rounds. This isn't the most accurate or consistant bullet around.

Both slotted snipers and the MTU's weren't satisfied with the accuracy they got with the M118SB round and this was traced to the bullet. That's why the SB round was replaced, first by the M852 Match (168gr SMK bullet) and later by the M118LR (175gr SMK).

If you're buying this SB ammo for informal use or for your stash you'll do just fine. Otherwise, if you're shooting for long-range accuracy you might be disappointed.

I've shot lots of all three designations so I'm speaking from experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LC brass will last a long time if you reload.

I'd get it, shoot it, then reload the brass with 175 SMK or 178 A-max. </div></div>

Thats what I planned on doing with it. Just wanted to know if this would be a good price or should I just stick with my FGMM 175's till I have a mountain of brass?

Lake City brass is most valuable to M14 reloaders due to the strength of the brass, not the quality of the brass. For the accuracy reloader there are better choices. Some of the LC match brass had a "ring" (looked like a cannelure) around the outside near the base which weakened the brass and made it less desirable for M14 reloaders too.
Precision Shooting Magazine author Randolph Constantine wrote an article about old match ammunition and what he called "cold welding" of the bullet to the case causing inconsistent long range performance. While this would not make much difference in ball ammunition performance in his High Power experience it made a big enough difference that he would load long and reseat bullets as competition neared.
The ammunition you are considering is 19 years old, near the price of new better match ammunition with higher quality brass and bullets. Just my observation.
Good luck.

Long Range

Buying loaded LC for about a buck a round is well, not a ragin deal. You nee to check as the bullets are probaly 173 gr FMBT .309 diameter bullets. Accurate and hard as a witch's tit in hell.

Accurate and reliable as heck. Only issue is it wears your barell out pronto. Origninally developed for the M14NM. Shoots great, but you can reload better ammo for the same price.

Well, I bought the stuff. Talked him down to $565 out the door. My wife has pretty good bargaining skills
grin.gif

I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. If all else fails and it does suck at least I'll have some more brass.

maia9z.jpg

the last place i bought that ammo was from polygunbags. i have the same ammo box

M118SB is Great ammo and it is still used by the Air and Army Sniper schools at Camp Robinson. i dont see much of a change unless your shooting over 500 meters, then the LR makes a big change, but i have shot both the lr and the sb out to 800 meters. the 168 is very good in a bolt gun but can go subsonic in a gas gun after 600 meters but is prob the most accurate up to 200 meters

That looks like some fine ammo. If nothing else, that's "minute of Zombie" ammo all day long. For that price, I think you did very well. Congrats!

M118 ball is calibrated for the m3a scope system or Visa versa on an m24 rifle in surplus older ammunition will function as expected. But with a new modern optics it is not optimal. A buck a round is ok for practice.

M118 ball is calibrated for the m3a scope system or Visa versa on an m24 rifle in surplus older ammunition will function as expected. But with a new modern optics it is not optimal. A buck a round is ok for practice.

That was $1.0 per round ten years ago . . .