• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M14 Op-rod? Oversized handle?

Longrange****

Old Hat Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2006
Mille Lacs, MN
Anyone know of a company making an op-rod for the M14 that has a larger charging handle? I hate the stock one on my M14, I can only grip the damn thing with one pinky. Im aware that a larger heavier knob may interfere with the operation of the weapon, so Im assuming that someone if they make one out there is hollowed out to reduce weight.

Ive wondered if others have modified their own by cutting it down and threading it for a knob but am pretty damn sure that could cause problems.

What say you?

Re: M14 Op-rod?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of a company making an op-rod for the M14 that has a larger charging handle? </div></div>

None that I know of. It would be nice.

Dave P

Ron is currently making Op Rods, they are hammer forged 1 piece, USGI Spec. Op Rods , the handle is USGI Spec. I doubt Ron would do a special build though.

I looked....same thing Ive got on there now....

Let me explain my comment in the last post...they are expensive because they make QUALITY stuff....

I talked to a machinist on here that said he might entertain the idea of attempting to make one if there were enough people interested in one.....Is there?

I understand the pitfalls of having a knob stick strait out of the side of your weapon, hanging up on gear and such....but I dont think it would be an issue once you get used to the thing....

You will also have the problem of weight and inertia that could cause you issues with the op-rod now having to move extra weight during firing. Would be interesting to see if this would work or not, or lead to premature failure of the op-rod altogether.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Smith is making them you can guarantee they will be spendy....Ill look... </div></div>

From my info they are $180.00 which is actually a good price considering th TRW's go for over $200.

Ron is also working on trigger parts & bolts for this year.

You'd have to design that op-rod all over. The balance of that thing would be all sortsa fkkd up if you rigd some shiz on that thing.

Interesting idea but for damn's sake you only have to pull that thing back once.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powderBurnz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'd have to design that op-rod all over. The balance of that thing would be all sortsa fkkd up if you rigd some shiz on that thing.

Interesting idea but for damn's sake you only have to pull that thing back once.
wink.gif

</div></div>

Yea you are right.....but its something Ive thought about for a long time now....and thats like saying you have no need for an extended slide release for your auto pistol....and besides everyone wants them for their auto shotguns...Most of the gear or options on this site are "want based" not "need based"....realistically a 1MOA rifle (which ALOT of factory rifles can do) is plenty for a REAL "Tactical" rifle...Not flaming you at all...so dont take it that way....its just the way I see it...

Randy....I wonder if you could weld an extension on there and drill holes through it to lighten it up a little.