• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes M1A entry level scope

johnrrb81

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2011
Andrews, TX, USA
I was wondering people's opinion on a good entry level hunting scope for a SA M1A since the action tends to knock everything around quite a bit.

Thanks

Re: M1A entry level scope

What's your definition of "entry level? What do you plan to use the rifle for? What's your budget? What do you expect from the scope?

I plan to use it mostly for hunting but also some recreational target shooting. My budget is no more than $300

Do you already have a mount? Rings? Are those a separate budget? I ask since you can eat that much on a good mount and rings.

As for a good scope in that price range... it's not impossible, but not easy. Maybe something in the Nikon Buckmaster line or SuperSniper line from SWFA. Vortex makes good scopes, but may be a bit more spendy.

My main concern is you may get a scope that's not quite up to your expectations for that price range.

Also check out SWFA's sample list as well as the for sale section here. It's possible to get something better that's lightly used; instead of new, but lesser quality.

If you need a mount, let me know.

That price is just for the optic itself. I plan on getting the Troy battle rail because I have heard that the majority of the receiver/side mounts always come loose. This may sound some what overkill for my needs but I would rather have too much support and make sure that my mount stays true

How about the SWFA SS 6x? The SS line is rated for .50BMG, if I remember right.

Kind of off subject and I apologize for this but would using a wolff recoil spring, vented gas plug, and recoil buffer help with this issue and also would a combination of these parts cause any problems with the rifle cycling?

I recommend a SADLAK mount its what I sent to Iraq in 2004 with the 42nd ID and you cant go wrong with a SWFA Super Sniper. The SS 10X's I sent stood up to the deployment. I have one on my M1A and my son is running one on his AR10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnrob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That price is just for the optic itself. I plan on getting the Troy battle rail because I have heard that the majority of the receiver/side mounts always come loose. This may sound some what overkill for my needs but I would rather have too much support and make sure that my mount stays true </div></div>
Have never heard of or had issues with Saklak or Smith Enterprise mounts ... the rants & negative reviews usually come from the factory Springfield Armory mount which is junk.

I've heard complaints about the battle rail coming loose too... Not to mention losing the rear sight, having to run BUIS, added weight...

You'd be better off with a Sadlak Airborne mount. Very solid mounts when installed correctly.

I'd suggest the aforementioned SS 6X for hunting. Reality is, that may be a bit much for a close up shot too.

As for all the other stuff you mentioned; don't bother, just adding more variable issues. Spend the money on a Sadlak NM op rod spring guide and mag release. That's money well spent.