• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A/M14/EBR Rifle discussion W/O DRAMA.

Re: M1A/M14/EBR Rifle discussion W/O DRAMA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read in various forums and magazines that M118LR and M14's/M1A's dont play well together.</div></div>

That hasn't been the case with my M1A Super Match. (1977 version). I've shot a heck of a lot of it and havent noticed any differance in pressure then 851, or M118. Nor my Mexican match using 175-180 SMKs.

Actually the impact is about the same, as is velocity.

I guess maybe some guns are differant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought I would post the beast that made me want a "light" M1A. Has SEI vortex, SEI extended bolt, Sadlak guide rod, Sadlak Airborne Mount, and Sadlak Magazine Release all installed by Springfield Armory. Has all national match parts and managed to get one of the White Feather Trigger Groups before they discontinued them. Breaks at 3 lbs exactly.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

</div></div>
Great looking rig. I am in the middle of a similar build in FDE. What scope mount and rings are you using? What height? I have an ARMS#18 scope mount but have not bought rings yet. I am thinking about Burris Xtreme Tactical medium height.

^^I'm guessing they are badger 34MM rings. i like how they are thin but still solid.

I believe they go for $200 a set, but I last looked at them about 2 years ago.

mount is the SEI NSN mount IIRC. I have the "M21" version. its rock solid and i recommend it.

HaveBlue83 was dead on with the rings!

They are the 34mm rings from Badger Ordinance. I think they are the 1" high ones but I can check tomorrow for you. They are a pretty penny however they are machined from one solid piece of billet for both rings. They are rock solid and I can't recommend them enough.

http://badgerordnance.com/34mm-scope-rings/

Mount is the Sadlak Airborne Mount. Let me know if you want more pictures of it.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_airborne_scope_mount.html

yeah, i was goona get a set of 34mm badgers. nice stuff.

DeSnifter, do you have any issues with brass ejecting and hitting your turret knobs? I had that with the SEI mount and a bushnell 2100 Elite. I mounted about the same place as your S&B. every 8 or so rounds would eject, hit the turret knob, and fall back into the bolt area and get casught by the op-rod and bolt. really annoying.

You know I have had that problem with the brass getting caught between the mount and the op rod as sort of a pseudo stove pipe malfunction, however it hasn't done it in a long time and only with Federal ammo I used. I will look at the bottom of my turret to see if that was the cause, but I doubt it because i've never had a problem with Hornady.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rageracing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rig. I am in the middle of a similar build in FDE. What scope mount and rings are you using? What height? I have an ARMS#18 scope mount but have not bought rings yet. I am thinking about Burris Xtreme Tactical medium height.</div></div>

Funny... I'm doing the same thing and going with the dark earth as well. I'll be getting a gen 3 stock from JAE.

My question is what is the objective on that scope in the photo? I'm getting the 40mm obj on my USO and I want to make sure the 1" BO rings will clear the mount well enough so I can still use the irons underneath it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metonymy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rageracing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rig. I am in the middle of a similar build in FDE. What scope mount and rings are you using? What height? I have an ARMS#18 scope mount but have not bought rings yet. I am thinking about Burris Xtreme Tactical medium height.</div></div>

Funny... I'm doing the same thing and going with the dark earth as well. I'll be getting a gen 3 stock from JAE.

My question is what is the objective on that scope in the photo? I'm getting the 40mm obj on my USO and I want to make sure the 1" BO rings will clear the mount well enough so I can still use the irons underneath it.</div></div>

50mm objective. S&B PM II 3-12 x 50

http://www.impactguns.com/store/BO-306-14.html

I recommend the quick detach if you want to use irons on the J Allen because it is a pain to thumbwheel that cheek riser all the way on and off. Additionally I am not sure how often you'll want to shoot irons in it. There is a channel in the stock for the cheek pads travel that has a metal edge when you take the pad out. Not the most comfortable feeling on your face when you fire.

Hey guys I had another question about the Sage M14ALCS stock..Im still looking at picking one up, but Im not too keen on that pistol grip that it comes with, Ive seen others, more ergonomic looking ones and I was just wondering where I could find a different one? Are they proprietary or are they standard AR or what? Thanks for the help!

The PG on the Sage is not the same as an AR. I had an Ergo Grip on mine that was pretty comfortable.

"ergo grip" eh? where can i find one of those?

Actually I believe they are the 1" rings. The number engraved on them is 9454. Perhaps you could call Badger Ordnance and ask them what specific model has those numbers.

I've got a Springfield Super match in a McMillan fiberglass stock. I'm hooked on the EBR idea, but I understand the chassis wont work with a rear lugged receiver. Any suggestions short of selling the Super match and buying a loaded model for the build?
What scope is the Army using on their EBR's? Thanks,
Ken

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have read in various forums and magazines that M118LR and M14's/M1A's dont play well together.</div></div>

That hasn't been the case with my M1A Super Match. (1977 version). I've shot a heck of a lot of it and havent noticed any differance in pressure then 851, or M118. Nor my Mexican match using 175-180 SMKs.

Actually the impact is about the same, as is velocity.

I guess maybe some guns are differant. </div></div>

I believe the military is now using a lower powered M118LR because of the M14 issue. I run a LRB M25 on EBR chassis and reload my own M118LR using a lower 42.3 - 43 gr Reloader 15 to push the 175 gr round. I was told the original M118LR uses around 44 gr RL15. Seems to work great for my M25. 175 is a pretty heavy projectile for a M14 anyway, I heard 180 gr was max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most EBRs in service by the Army that I've seen have been topped with Leupold Mark4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 variants. I've seen a couple 4.5-14x50 models also. </div></div>

yup you'll even see a few MkIII's too

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but i want to get a m1/m14 to start HP competition and to use for heavy division in 3-gun matches. Is that asking too much of one rifle for both purposes?

OK, I got the Vltor Modstock and got some weight figures... I weighed my Standard M1A in it, and it is 9.4 lbs. unloaded with no mag, with my ARMS #18 scope mount attached. Interestingly, this rifle is 8.6 lbs. with the Springfield plastic stock on it. So the Vltor is about .8 lbs. heavier than a plastic SAI stock. The Vltor felt about the same as my buddy's GI fiberglass stock, but I didn't weigh the glass stock to be sure. Whatever the case may be, it is definitely a nice light stock option. It also fits extremely tight. It was actually a little difficult to get my rifle into it!

Oh, and BTW, the Vltor Modstock works great with the ACOG. It completely solved all the issues with drop at heel and eye relief I was having with a huge riser on the traditional stock. However, to get the right eye relief with the Vltor, it has to be adjusted up very high, and the receiver tube isn't making much contact with the stock adaptor, as you can see in the pics. It is solid enough that I wouldn't worry about shooting with it, but I am afraid it might break there if the rifle were dropped hard. I'm thinking it might be better to go with a CTR stock. I could have the stock set at a lower height, and get the little bit of extra height I need with a clip-on cheek riser.

Anyway, here are some pics:

0305011101.jpg

0305011102.jpg

0305011103.jpg

0305011104.jpg

0305011105.jpg

0305011106.jpg

0305011108.jpg

0305011109.jpg

0305011110.jpg

0305011114.jpg

url]

picked up my gas lock front sight base from the box, finally remmebered. I'll slap that on this weekend. SEI, says MK-14 on it..too cool
smile.gif

I WANT that EBR stock. I need to sell my PMII to fund that and a normal use optic setup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_4082.jpg

</div></div>

Gorgeous rig man. How much did the JAE stock set you back if you don't mind? I'm looking at doing a very similar setup and didn't know exactly what kind of cost and lead time I was looking at. Overall how much does it weight??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNIPERS4DUMMIES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone running their M1A/M14 suppressed?
impressions?
and what make can is used??

confused.gif
</div></div>

I sampled the SEI/Fisher M14DC can for the first time in 2006 and now own one that I run on my 16.25", 18.0" and 22.0"
M14s, a 7.62 AKM and a 5.56 AR-100. All of the host weapons have the correct DC Vortex flash eliminator installed.

Impressions/experience:

Piston driven gas guns have several noisy moving parts and you can't quiet this noise.
The can does a very good job of reducing the report, recoil and there is no flash.
There is a good bit of gas blown back into the shooters face, this can be deflected by a scope mount of a breech cover.

Accuracy is improved a little and groups tighten up, the M14s cycle super sonic ammo just fine, but they will not cycle sub sonic.
The AKM cycles both super and sub sonic ammo. The AR-100 cycles super sonic, but I have not sampled any sub sonic in it.

I am very happy with the results, no baffle strikes, no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeSnifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50mm objective. S&B PM II 3-12 x 50

http://www.impactguns.com/store/BO-306-14.html

I recommend the quick detach if you want to use irons on the J Allen because it is a pain to thumbwheel that cheek riser all the way on and off. Additionally I am not sure how often you'll want to shoot irons in it. There is a channel in the stock for the cheek pads travel that has a metal edge when you take the pad out. Not the most comfortable feeling on your face when you fire. </div></div>

My JAE that's on order is the Gen3. It'll have a QD thumbwheel setup. I've seen a pic of it but am anxious to see the stock first hand when it gets shipped.

I don't plan on using the irons all that often, but I don't want to have to remove the scope and rings to be able to do so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alt6grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is sharp looking. How does it perform? </div></div>

I have about 1500 rounds through the suppressor, a mixed bag of .308, 7.62x39 and .223 without a single problem... I like the can.

I have not fired the CQB 16 yet, but I have been handling it a bit and discovered that it has a near perfect center of gravity scoped
and loaded up with a 25 round mag. I added a forward grip to give me a better handle on the suppressors added weight.
I tried the AFG, but it was not comfortable for me... I was about to install one of my TangoDown VFGs
when I remembered that I had a Grip Pod set aside for a bullpup project...

First impression: It's solid, comfortable and the push of a button bipod feature appears to fit the CQB 16 well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdShotKill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most EBRs in service by the Army that I've seen have been topped with Leupold Mark4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 variants. I've seen a couple 4.5-14x50 models also. </div></div>

yup you'll even see a few MkIII's too</div></div>

That's because they scabbed the MK4 from the EBR to put it on one of their M24s so that they could have a variable power optic on their bolt gun and put the fixed 10 power scope on the EBR.

Where did you get the foliage green chassis at? Was it a limited production run? All I can find are black, FDE, and NS grey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you M14/M1A guys tried the Vltor stock?
</div></div>

I've handled one and know a few that used the Vltor stock at one
time or another, but most have upgraded to the CV/Mod 1 SAGE EBR.

Gen1Mod11.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evilspyderman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get the foliage green chassis at? Was it a limited production run? All I can find are black, FDE, and NS grey.</div></div>

It is one of the 11 1st generation Mod 1 stocks sold.
It's really a dark gray with a little greenish tint.
Here it is pictured over a more silver looking 2nd generation Mod 1.
NoExpert & DeSnifter own Mod 1s with a copper tint to them and I've seen other shades of grey.

img83.jpg

This is a little more accurate representation of the tan/brown/copper colour:

IMG_0303.jpg

Camera flashes definitely make it have a copper tint to it.

That looks to be the same color as "Parker" Dura Coating. It looks mostly grey with hints of dark green in the right light. I did my MWS and PSS in that color.

If anyone has a JAE-100 they're looking to get rid of, please hit me up. Thanks.

I've been drooling over the M1's since I had to work on them as an armorer. Finally decided it's time to bite the bullet and piece one together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a little more accurate representation of the tan/brown/copper colour:

IMG_0303.jpg

Camera flashes definitely make it have a copper tint to it. </div></div>

One of these Mod 1 stocks just popped up for sale over on The M14HDW Forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: secondstoryguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a second there I thought that thing had skateboard wheels!

</div></div>

It should just to hold up the medium weight barrel, it's still heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alt6grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is sharp looking. <span style="font-weight: bold">How does it perform?</span> </div></div>

I ran a mag through it last week and the CQB 16 delivered a flawless performance.

<span style="font-weight: bold">VIDEO</span>

That was cool. How many fps are the subsonic rounds moving at. Plan on doing the same to my NM and scout

Hey guys,

New to the site and all, but I just picked up an M1A standard last tuesday in a synthetic stock (brand new from Springfield Armory) and I'm looking to put a stock on it.

I've seen all the pictures and all, and I think I'd like pistol style grip on whatever stock I get, as well as a lighter/more versatile rail wise setup; as such I'm thinking of an Sage EBR stock, with the cantelevered stight mount...however I can only find the MOD 0 style stock around. Where do you guys buy?

Also, the Mod 0 had a non-magpul telescoping stock that looks like it's been done away with in the MOD 1 - why?

Thanks!
RA

The Mod 1 weighs less than the Mod 0 by about 2 pounds because of the AR style butt stock. If you want lighter weight and more AR type grip and butt stock options, get the Mod 1. If you don't mind the added weight and being locked into two grip options, get the Mod 0. Both can be purchased from Clyde Armory in special colours or the standard black.

I have 2 loaded Springfield M1A's (had three, just sold one and still have the JAE stock from it for sale in the marketplace forum), one in VLTOR extended cluster rail and another one in standard black synthetic stock.

I need help with my sage EBR project and looks like there are a lot of experts here who can give me some advice. I've had my sage stock for 2 years and haven't had the chance to install it until now. I think I have an old prototype sage stock, as it does not have the sage etching on the side.

IMG_2747.jpg

I couldn't put the top cover of the stock on as it hitting the barrel (Springer NM). I am thinking of using dremel to make it fit:

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Another problem is the op guide block is a PITA to remove. As you can see in the pics above, its a little bit banged up but it does not even budge. My M1A is a MOA rifle as is in its original factory config and if I can get the sage top cover to fit and it shoots the same then I don't plan on using the sage op rod guide block anymore.

IMG_2748.jpg

So the question now is should I dremel the top cover to make it fit? Is anyone of you gents who has the sage stock doesn't have the sage OP rod guide block on?

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Call Sage and get the 5 screw cover for standard and medium barrels.

Looks like you have an old Sage chassis, not as many lightening holes and no markings.

Floating the barrel on an M14 variant usually doesn't work well with all the stuff hanging from it. Best to use the block on it. Try hitting the guide side to side (rotating around the barrel) instead of trying to take it straight off. I found this worked to get mine off the barrel, mostly just to break it free.

When I installed my EBR Chassis my Op Rod block was a PITA. I did however have a large nylon drift. I used the nylon drift and it worked pretty well. My bbl had inline ridges (I guess you would say) and as soon as the block was forward it more or less fell of, it was just that initial half inch or so. Putting the sage block on was more or less the repeat process. To get it inline I installed the M1A in the Chassis and lined the block up, started it, took it out and finished. Hope this helps out with the Op Rod Block. As for top cover do as NoExpert said. It will save you head ache. I was going to use my wife's Loaded with Med bbl but I simply used the other rifle I had that has a standard bbl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtbutt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My bbl had inline ridges (I guess you would say) and as soon as the block was forward it more or less fell of, it was just that initial half inch or so.</div></div>

Sounds like the op rod guide mount point was knurled, this was common on GI barrels to get a solid fit between the guide and barrel.

As a side note, just in case, don't forget to remove the roll pin from the op rod guide. I'm guilty of missing the small things so figure it's worth mentioning.

Some guides had loctite applied so you may want to try heating the guide a little to melt the loctite and expand the guide so it comes off easier.

Here's mine, outfitted in the new PMRI configuration, Sadlak mount, Smith rings and PST 4-16. Waiting for a vortex hider and a Fisher suppressor.

IMG_0095.jpg

I've long considered adding an M1A to the stable and, after spending the last hour or so drooling over the pics of some of you guys' custom rigs, I REALLY want one. The question is where to start? It will likely wind up wearing some glass but, to be honest, the LRB setup is likely outside my price range. Suggestions on where to start so as not to wind up re-spending later?

THX!

Mike