• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A/M14/EBR Rifle discussion W/O DRAMA.

Re: M1A/M14/EBR Rifle discussion W/O DRAMA.

Before you eliminate the LRB M25 think of this; a good scope mount costs about $300 (talking a three point, mount it and leave it alone setup like SEI or Sadlak), the LRB M25 costs $929, take that $300 off and the receiver is $629. Pretty much a bargain at that point. Just my perspective on buying the LRB M25 and what justified the upfront cost of it for me.

Wish I could post pics up on here. Been waiting over a year on mine now. I had an EBR but I decided to sell it and go with the McMillan M3A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joebino55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I could post pics up on here. Been waiting over a year on mine now. I had an EBR but I decided to sell it and go with the McMillan M3A </div></div>

I had an M3A setup, nice rifle. Wasn't in love with the SA Inc. receiver so parted out most if it.

NEW.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you eliminate the LRB M25 think of this; a good scope mount costs about $300 (talking a three point, mount it and leave it alone setup like SEI or Sadlak), the LRB M25 costs $929, take that $300 off and the receiver is $629. Pretty much a bargain at that point. Just my perspective on buying the LRB M25 and what justified the upfront cost of it for me. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

I guess I'm more of a traditionalist. I like the standard M14 look much better than the EBR or JAE stocks:

photo.jpg

She's a SA National Match model. I plan to use iron sights just as often as a scope, which is why I opted for this one.

my first ,,a SOCOM 16 with ARMS 18 SWAN mount with 3.5-10 Leupold just for load work up,,after I settle on a load I am just gonna use the factory sights,,

gettin around 1,5-1.75 MOA so far wit LC brass,168 Nosler CC bullet and 41 grs IMR 4895,

eric304.jpg

MK14 Mod2 SEI built

This one was a long time in the making and Kevin was helpful throughout with his tireless research and knowledge of EBRs. Also thank to Channing Will at Sage and Andy at SEI while I'm at it. Note SPR grip requires minor clearancing/modification to fit chassis.
14336018703_ef3f3a54ce_b.jpg

Last edited:
No drama.....just replacing parts.

Scout Squad

Add Chassis ~

Equals=

this thread is awesome. I have a SA M1A NM that i got new at a gun show a few years ago. I have a terrible springfield scope mount and an ancient scope on it. It holds zero for about 10-15 shots. Do not buy these mounts. I got mine for free.

How is the ARMS 18 mount vs a sadlak mount? I know sadlak is basically the best mount but i'd like to know what else is out there worth using? The SA mount is basically a paperweight designed to waste ammo.

I've only used the Sadlak, I currently have one of each metal, aluminum, steel, & titanium. I have not had a single problem with any of them, you can't go wrong. If you want to lay out the extra for a titanium I just ran across a guy selling one at a hell of a discount, still pricey but way below the cost of new. It's not mine.

this thread is awesome. I have a SA M1A NM that i got new at a gun show a few years ago. I have a terrible springfield scope mount and an ancient scope on it. It holds zero for about 10-15 shots. Do not buy these mounts. I got mine for free.

How is the ARMS 18 mount vs a sadlak mount? I know sadlak is basically the best mount but i'd like to know what else is out there worth using? The SA mount is basically a paperweight designed to waste ammo.

Bassett low picatinny mount

Ok, here is my SAI NM M1A.

Sage EBR chassis
ARMS #18
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
Surefire 762SS adaptor / brake
SEI GLFS-22 & bolt release
GG&G bipod adaptor
Harris bipod

It will do around MOA with the XM118 LR stuff floating around.

I am still waiting on the Surefire suppressor to get out of NFA jail, thinking about picking up an adjustable plug to make sure the can does not over gas the system.

Last edited:
I just got into the M1A thing...

Picked up a SAI Loaded for a pretty good price. Replaced the extractor, hammer and sear with USGI parts and the gun ran flawlessly for the first time I ran it on Friday.
Groups with iron sights were 2-3 inches at 100 yards but I'm fairly new to iron sights.

I placed a hunting optic on the rifle with a Sadlak Airborne mount until the McMillian M3A gets here in August.

I really like the absence of the cheese grater spring sound from not having a buffer tube on my ear as well as not feeling the secondary recoil for the buffer tube assembly of the AR-10 I sold 2 years ago.

To all of you M1A guys I really have no experience with the platform but for now I plan to have a M1A Smith add a rear lug to the receiver and bed it in a McMillian M3A stock with a torque bolt through the stock going into the rear lug as the issue in my mind is having a solid bedding job onto a Fiberglass Stock / Chassis System for Accuracy and Repeatability.

This along with unitizing the gas cylinder and performing a National Match Trigger job what else needs to be done to the platform for enhanced accuracy??.....

Thanks....

Shim the gas cylinder. Unitize the gas system. Those 2 things can improve things quite a bit. I shimmed my gas cylinder, unitized it with some jb weld, then bedded the rifle into a mcm m3a. Bedding the rifle was a challenge, way more steps than a bolt gun but it was fun to do it myself. You could always practice on your factory stock and if you screw it up no big deal, grind it down and try again.
file_zps71770ecf.jpg

I know the scope isn't the greatest, but I sold my mk4 and got that one in a trade. I used devcon to bed it. I really didn't get to do much accuracy testing with it after I bedded it because I pcs'ed overseas before I could enjoy it. But in a unbedded Boyd's wood stock my loaded shot around 1.25-1.5 moa with 168gr fgmm. Why a add a rear lug? That is a lot of labor. If you really want a rear lug why don you sell your loaded and buy the best looking m1a out there, the SA M21. Rear lug, Krieger barrel, gorgeous adjustable walnut stock. If I were right handed that is what I would buy.

Thank you Smcarroll.

I just scored a MK14 Mod2 flat buttstock adapter from Sage since I decided to go to a taller Spuhr mount. Once I get the adapter blasted and cerakoted to match should be good to go for a long while.

Here is my Scout. I took the muzzle break off and added a Smith Ent. Vortex. I add some Sadlak parts (must have). I find the Scout a lot handier than the 22" norm. I have the bipod mounted backwards so it won't snag on low limbs and brush. The scope is a Leupold LER 2-8 power.
I have tried other stocks such as Viltor and ERB but have come back to the factory stock. This rifle was designed for the wood stock and it suits me best. I have a parade stock which is an exhibition quality Vietnam area stock but it only goes on for Sunday parades. Its just too nice to go out every day.
I have had several M1As and see the bottom for a pick of my first.

Go ahead a call me a old fart and get off my lawn.

Last edited:
Who is a preferred shop to deal with on this platform in regards to pricing, service and turnaround times? I'm in the market, thanks

John Wolfe is a stud, you can find him on the M14forum, or M14 & M1A Parts and Armory Services. Stay away from SEI! James River Armory is awesome, but they are more a Receiver, complete rifle, parts manufacture, and supplier vice send your stuff to them for a build.

GAP used to but it isnt advertised on their website, BUT my build sheet from my M40a5 had a check box for M14, soooo maybe if you ask them nicely they will work with you. Id kill for a GAP m14!

Who is a preferred shop to deal with on this platform in regards to pricing, service and turnaround times? I'm in the market, thanks

If you just want a rifle to bang around with then keep your eyes peeled for a national match model on the used market, preferably an old school one with USGI parts. Figure 1500 ballpark.

For something custom you're looking at wait times and a higher dollar amount. You can easily wind up 3500-4000 in one too, and it won't shoot a whole lot better than the 1500 hypothetical one above.

Jon Wolfe is a stud, I'll be buying one of his barrels very soon. JRA too, props to them for going balls deep into making receivers, bolts, barrels that is a big risk.

I returned my LRB all TRW build to a gorgeous Tiger Stripe stock. I have a JRA receiver, bolt, and all Winchester parts kit waiting for a barrel that will go in my EBR. Cant wait!

With more people getting into making m1a parts, I'd really love to see someone offer a barrel in a different caliber. Something along the lines of the 6.5 cm that would be nice.

Omg this thread is heaven. The m14/m1a is one of my dream guns. I wish I had something to share like all of you but all I can do now is admire. Thanks to those who are sharing!

M1A 001.JPGWell my M1A is not nearly as tacticool as some pictured on this thread. However it is everything that I need from this rifle and nothing that I do not.

Here is my M25 number 0666. Shoots as seen in photo from 100m...IMG_2955.jpgIt belonged to the director of the M25 White Feather project over at SA. Serial number 001 went to the Hathcock foundation and 002 he kept. I believe they were the only 3 M25's to come out of the factory with the FDE full auto McMillan Stock. IMG_3016.JPGIMG_2957.jpg