• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Scout Squad

gl51virus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Lake Charles, LA
Looking for some input from anyone who has one. How does it shoot? Do you have an optic, if so how do you like it? Basic stuff. And yes I used the search button and didn't find anything.

Re: M1A Scout Squad

i had onefor a while, in a sage chassis stock. it shot ok. but not great. i sold it and built a lr308 for 2/3 the money that shoots wayyy better. i led the platform, just wasnt ready to have over 2700 into a gun that shot 1.5-2 inch groups.

I have one, 18" tube with thier brake, synthetic stock.

Accuracy is what I would consider a 1" ish gun. Some loads a little better. With a red dot I can keep a full 20 Rd Mag on a 30" plate at 500 rapid fire.

The forward optics mount is slick for red dots and such. It works very well in low light. I have never found a optic that co witnesses with the factory irons. Never really given the scout scope method a try. I know some rave about the 4X scout set up. I just never gave it a try

Its been a very reliable gun. I love the trigger, I was told I have a NM trigger. Two stage brakes 4 Lbs ish.

Now its unfair to say this platform does not have downsides. They are heavy, in heavy use they require more maintence compared to a AR style and aftermarket support isnt the same. If your after top accuracy then bedding can be problematic if your after that last nats ass accuracy. But if thats your posin you would be best served by a super match version

I have mine for sale in the exchange

PM me if you have more specific questions about the platform

Thanks for all the info. Not looking for a true "precision" rifle, I have a couple of those. Sounds like this is a good way to go as I am looking to put an Aimpoint on it. Not to mention it is a great piece of American history.

M1a for the win
C4CCA090-BB5B-4178-9362-F81C05EDDB8F-1020-000000A361A2F66C.jpg

I've been offered a supermatch do any of you guys know anything about them? I had a standard a long time ago, the one I am looking at has a mcmillan stock and krieger barrel.

I just built one from a USGI parts kit and a Fulton barreled action, tossed in a Springfield SOCOM stock. So far, I love it. Goes bang every time.

just bought one, have a few bolt 308's that are super accurate and wanted a shtf semi, went with the walnut stock, yea it's a bit heavy but seems well balanced

Best advise for the budding new scout squad owner. If you desire a different stock, then just go the cheap synthetic stock However keeping it in its original configuration, go with the walnut stock. It's way better in wood. SAI synthetic stocks are about crap.

Forward opic mount is okay to mount an aimpoint on but it doesn't co-witness. Good chance the oprod could hit the mount also. Dremel is you friend. I'd ditch it for a railed hand guard or just go with something like a sage ebr if a stock change was my plan.

It's a good rifle, but a friend of mine bought one by my suggestion and he got a ill fitted... I wasn't impressed. However he doesn't know any better and is planning all sorts of things, so it will pan out. Still the scout didn't do too bad for him his first outing with it and he was smiling from ear to ear. About FAL performance, not great, but not bad. It gets better.

DSCN0417.jpg

I'm kinda prejudiced towards the scout platform, and I would only put one in a sythetic stock if I were forced to pull it behind my truck with a rope.

When I got my first one, Fred's had a deal you could get five unissued birch stocks shipped for 89 bucks or so. They looked like they were stored in used french fry grease, but this ended up being the number two stock, which has been on this gun for three years now.

I pulled the rail off of this one, because I would never put a scope or optic on this particular gun, but I have rails on my Socom and on another one.

Sometimes for grins I run this one to the 600 line just to see how bad I suck, it's consistently run around 165 in 20 shots, whereas my AR (not the one in the photo) will run in the 190's.

But hitting the Rams at 500 meters is no problem with the scout guns, or the socom for that matter, if you just screw in some elevation.

For anyone to get them to a one inch gun, please share your load or come shoot mine for me.

One inch, not on a bet, but I also hear of guys shooting 10 inch plates with their NM prepped M1A's at a thousand.

Never see it it, but I hear about it.

For an all out fighting weapon, there are cheaper ways to get there, but in my opinion there is no better.

But I like history alot too, so I'm a little prejudiced.

sean

definitely something you are make a point to buy as its got a very different look & feel than the AR platforms

I have a SA Scout currently in a JAE-100. In the synthetic stock it was about 2MOA. I upgraded it with the following...NM trigger job, TI piston, NM spring guide, Tubbs silicone springs, recoil buffer, unitize front band and gas system. Irons in the walnut stock it will do 1MOA, in the JAE with glass its easy to get subMOA out of it. I love the way it shoots on both walnut and in the JAE.

One of my shooting buddies has an M1A Scout. We have shot steel to 635 yards with the iron sights. His particular weapon groups the best with bullets in the 175 to 180 grain weight. Best groups go under an inch but tipical is 1.5 MOA or more. I reload for this rifle and it has been proven to be ultra reliable with a variety of powders and bullets. A red dot sight will not co-witness because of the height. Blackhawlk makes a cheek patch that may help if you scope it.

I love mine. Walnut stock and std flash hider, just "feels like home".
IMG_0148.jpg

Granted it's not as accurate as my LTR but it's not supposed to be. I had it in a Sage EBR chassis w/a 1-4 for a while which tightened groups up but it was heavy. IMO, the iron sights on the M1A are some of the best out there. Since the pic, I have added the forward rail but still haven't mounted an optic. In part because of how much I love the iron sights. IMO, the scout scope set up is pretty cool though. I put one on a cut down .30-30 and really like it. Unless the sun is directly in front or behind you which can wash out the cross hairs.