• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M1a scout vs. std m1a

Wallygator

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Albany, OR
I'm looking into getting a m1a, I'm torn over what barrel length to get. I would like to here pro's cons on the 18" scout and the std 22" m1a's. Are the barrels threaded and if so what thread pitch? I probably won't shoot it past 600yds. What kind of accuracy should I expect out of these rifles.

thanks
Wallygator

Re: M1a scout vs. std m1a

I've had both and personally, really prefer the feel of the full-sized M1A. I can't really explain it, but it feels lighter and more manageable to me. Crazy, right? Also, I've never been a fan of a mile of picatinny rail on all sides of you gun, so these new socom's and after-market stocks aren't for me. My M1A shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yds without a problem, but I've never really worked with it either... just sighted it in and called it good.

My vote is to go with the standard M1A. Just my $.02, it's worth what you paid for it.

Your accuracy won't suffer with the shorter barrel, just that the muzzle velocity won't be the same.....you'll be able to hit at 600 yards with either one.

I've got a 22 inch M1A. The only plus side I can see from get a shorter barreld rifle is for manueverability. I've got the 22 and love it. If you're wanting a shorter barrel you might want to consider an AR platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your accuracy won't suffer with the shorter barrel, just that the muzzle velocity won't be the same.....you'll be able to hit at 600 yards with either one. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span>

Personally, I prefer the maneuverability of the 18.0" barrel, but the 22.0" is just fine.

Get one of each.

I've got a SOCOM. The short barrel is nice but if I got another one it would be a scout. It would be a truck gun for me. Depends on what you're gonna be using it for. The shorter barrel would make a nice brush gun. Are you gonna be hunting with it. If so what kind of terrain? Is it gonna be in out of of a truck? If you are just gonna do range shooting go with the 22" although the accuracy difference is probably nil if existent.

Haven't had any problems in mine. I've got about 1000 rounds through it. Fed it all kinds of ammo. Black Hills, Federal, South African surplus, Port surplus etc. I remember reading some of the initial Springfield SOCOMs hiccuping but they must've figured it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None that I know of. </div></div>

What barrel length would you recommend for general-purpose shooting out to 500 yards? 16"? 18"? 22"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: denverCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18" will get ya there. </div></div>

+1

18.0" is your best choice for all-around general purpose shooting inside 600 yards.

The only valid reason I can see for having a short barrel is to allow manipulation in close quarters. So I figure if I were looking at shooting anything beyond stone-throwing distances, I'd go with the 22".

Greg

The 18.0" also helps reduce the rifles OAL when your sound suppressor is installed
cool.gif

A suppressed standard length M14 is LONG.

Suppressed-M21A5-RRM.jpg

I have 2 LRB M25's one standard the other 18 1/2. I really like the 18 1/2 I have shot both out to 5-600 like them both..

o56zvk.jpg

merlinn

I chronographed Corbon's 155gr Scenar load out of my LRB 18.5" and averaged 2788fps. That will get me to 1000 yards. I haven't shot it that far yet because its getting bedded as we speak, but unless you are looking to shoot matches with the gun the 18" will do just about anything you ask of it with more room to maneuver if the need arises.

The only knock on the shorter barrels that I have is that they are very loud. If you are ever in the field and shoot without plugs, you will pay. I don't wear earplugs when I hunt and I very often hunt with my 22" M1A.