• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1A Scout...

Sooter76

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Lincoln, NE
So this isn't really about precision rifles, but...

I've been considering picking up a M1A Scout. My thinking, beyond I've just always liked them, is that I would like to have a good reliable rifle that is likely to pass muster in case of another 'assault rifle' ban (we all know it's coming... eventually). I would likely swap the brake out for a regular flash hider and remove the scout rail, and it would mostly serve as a hunting rifle and iron sight trainer. For those that have them, how do you like the rifle and what kind of accuracy do you get out of it? I'm not looking for half MOA accuracy but I'd like it to hold its own. Thanks.

If I don't go this route I'll probably build a nice flintlock Pennsylvania longrifle...

2 moa gun. I shoot mine in a local 2gun match, in fact I actually won a match shooting the scout once.

Took an older m1a hunting once, too heavy. I now hunt with a light beater 308 savage bolt rifle that I don't care if it gets wet. A day in the rain with a $1xxx m1a means you better be cleaning it first chance you get.

Setting it up to play around in some DMR matches... ;)

IMG_4127 (Medium).JPG

^^^ What he said. ;)
Nice chassis - Scout/Squad weight is at 14lbs 11oz with the AAC SDN-6 attached.

Had a hell of a time getting the brake off. Wasn't pinned, wasn't thread locked, tried heat and then broke the castle nut pliers real quick...ended up cutting it.
Op rod guide took some time soaking in some oil and a brass rod..finally did come off.

My brake was tight as well and didn't want to break my castle nut pliers. I used a leather strap and some large channel locks and it came off without marring it. As for the op-rod guide, I used my 12ton shop press and it came off with ease. The new one was easy enough to drive on with a plastic hammer.

Yeah.. The shop press would have been nice to have. lol
The shim Sage provided isn't very snug - did yours have a better fit?

I've been considering picking up a M1A Scout. My thinking, beyond I've just always liked them, is that I would like to have a good reliable rifle that is likely to pass muster in case of another 'assault rifle' ban (we all know it's coming... eventually). I would likely swap the brake out for a regular flash hider and remove the scout rail, and it would mostly serve as a hunting rifle and iron sight trainer. For those that have them, how do you like the rifle and what kind of accuracy do you get out of it? I'm not looking for half MOA accuracy but I'd like it to hold its own. Thanks.

If I don't go this route I'll probably build a nice flintlock Pennsylvania longrifle...

If you attach a standard flash hider on the scout it will need the bayonet lug removed to access / remove the gas plug.

Accuracy is pretty decent , at least on the one I have. My rifle went from walnut to USGI fiberglass.
Popping off some Portuguese ball ammo @ 100 yards ( called pull at 9 O'clock)

Mine now resides in a SAGE chassis~

Stock up on mags if you're worried about an AWB, they are usually the first thing to be targeted with arbitrary restrictions.

For all around use the synthetic stocks are my favorite. Durable and lightweight.

They are usually 2-3MOA with good handloads. So good enough for hunting and fun but not the kind of groups you're going to waggle your weiner to.

1200-1300 is what I would try to pay for a scout.

God Mod 0's are such a sexy chassis.

Agreed. I'm wanting one pretty bad. The only the holding me up, is that at the weight of an M1 in a Mod 0, it's purpose at that point has to be long range precision, and I'd want a sub MOA gun.

I know it can be done, but it seems like a lot of work.

With handloads my mod 0 will shoot right about MOA if I do my part. I have had individual groups sub MOA but average group sizes are 1-1.25 MOA. When I had it mine in a Troy MCS, it was a 2-2.5 MOA gun. I weighed mine a while back and I recall it being about 14 lbs with an empty mag.

Mine at a local 3gun match

Shoots around 2 MOA with my M80 and 155gr TAP duplicates, usually a little better with the 155's.

Except for a broken extractor function has been flawless.

The 18" Scout is a good option on the M14 platform. You can get effective fire out to 6-700 yrds with good loads, and there are a number of options for scopes. It is generally consider by the M14 community that the SAI scout barrel mount is a POS.

Smith Enterprises offers a number of optional muzzle breaks that I would recommend over the GI style.

As to another AWB (and there will be one), this platform has survived even the California ban. And as previously suggested, stock up on mags and ammo now while its available.

I also own a scout squad. I ditched the front rail and installed a sadlak steel scope mount, shimmed the barrel and threw away the cheap spring guide rod and upgraded to a sadlak as well. I know ill probably get crap for this but I put a archangel m1a stock on it while I "wait" for my JAE stock. But its functional and gives me a great cheek weld for scoped shooting. ive heard of people having issues with out of spec Springfield receivers but I have installed these sadlak scope mounts on 3 Springfield rifles one being a socom and 2 scouts and I have had ZERO issues. Might look into the sadlak products for your M1A I love them.