• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s M1A .."Sniper" really stretches the limits .......

Ghogs Nightmare

Wobi Madano
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2006
In the Nightmares of Ghogs
If you have 8min's an need a laugh:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X19dDK9zFC4&feature=endscreen&NR=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X19dDK9zFC4&feature=endscreen&NR=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
Hope that fancy bipod didn't mess up the paint while giving a steady rest for shooting so far.

Re: M1A .."Sniper" really stretches the limits .......

3 cans at 25 yards .... WOW!

7Qb3j.jpg

Is he a character from Bazooka Joe?
grin.gif

Unfortunate because the old M1A is about my favorite rifle. NOt quite as accurate as a good 308 bolt, mine would shoot .5 moa., but 20 or even 30 rounds in theMagazine more than makes up for that.

Did you notice he was wearing the eagle and anchor?

what a waste of a rifle, Somalians throw rocks further than that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Did you notice he was wearing the eagle and anchor? </div></div>

Couldn't get past the dumbass mask he was wearing. Seriously, what's he trying to hide? He's on a public video site, how hard would it be to find out who he is?

That guy's hardcore. He likes that much play in his bipod....

For some reason the embeded videos dont show up on my phone lately. Link?
smile.gif

At 25 yards, he should have been able to whip that rifle up, free hand those shots, and done it much quicker. Perhaps if a cheaper than dirt magazine had not thrown up on it, he could have done better.

After watching this it makes me upset that I don't have a bayonet lug on my "sniper" rifle

I'm guessing that since 0313 is an LAV Crewman, and he is proud enough to put that down as his screen name along with wearing the cammies, that he might still be in (ugh, embarrassing). I would guess that he is probably stationed at 29 Palms or Pendleton given that the desert he is shooting at would be a bit of a drive from LeJeune (unless he is a reservist). I'm no genius but his rifle didn't look CA legal, and that may be the reason for the mask?

Or he is just a fucktard. Either way, I work with a couple 0313s that just left Pendleton and 29 Palms respectively. I'm going to show them this guy's videos and see if they can put a name to the fucktardedness.

If in fact he is a GI, he is a very poor example of one that knows his way around a weapon. His ability to handle, explain, and fire the weapon correctly is there, on display for all to see. You might want to look closely where the bullets struck, as well.

FYI, Bi-pods for 14's were designed to swivel for two reasons.
Wonder if he knows what the hole in the safety and trigger bar are for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heh heh heh, I know, I know !!! Do I get any points ? </div></div>

If "You" an a few others, "Did not know"
I'd be shocked, and say Alzheimer's had arrived for that time frame group.
grin.gif

Hows it going? Ronald said you had called.

Yessir, just checking in on us "old farts" ... wanted to see how he was doing as I haven't been around for full matches. Doing well, not quite what I was a few years back but ... the Big C does that to you. Almost 200+/- 5# but much better than 160 and looking like a walking skeleton !!

So I must admit I dont know what those holes are for. Enlighten me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the Big C does that to you. </div></div> Yes it does, those damn meds to keep you going, hose up other things. I was down to military weight for a short time, but now back to civie weight. Be glad when I put mine behind me as well. I'd give anything if I could have the wife's as well, instead of her having it also.

maggot,

I'll answer only if someone else does not.
Hint, the tang hole is used with another issued item, and the safety bar hole is used with a none TO&E issued item, past Training or Garrison, when I was in.

I don't know what it's for either. I've also never seen one in person, but I'd like to know

Nice machine work on that bipod rail… I see a successful future in precision rifle 'smithing for this gentleman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOCAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice machine work on that bipod rail… I see a successful future in precision rifle 'smithing for this gentleman. </div></div>

If using a power drill to open up a hole is machining, I'm a master machinist haha

What the heck is up with my computer can't watch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I must admit I don't know what those holes are for. Enlighten me. </div></div>
I'll give ya the trigger tang.

Some GI's did not have the physical strength prior to entering Basic training to unlock the trigger bar. The hole is for inserting a length of cleaning rod or the floating link of the combo tool to disengage the bar so the trigger assy could be removed from the weapon. Also you will note the size of the hole, it will also except a 30 cal projo, not by accident either.
When in the field if you do not have the strength to unlock the bar from injury or want ever, you could take a round of ammo for it, bayonet, pocket knife ect, and unlock it as well. The trigger assy could be washed out with water from your canteen, stream, lake ect if packed with sand, mud, on whatever.
A battle rife is just that, any battle, anywhere, anytime. I've seen M14's run in places a Chinese AK or SKS would not, and that is plain fact. Remember it was an improved M1 a weapon we had lots of experience with thru Korea and other vacation spots.
Remember a issued weapon has to work for everyone that it is issued to, and in every conceivable task they maybe/are put into or ask to preform.
We went from a weapon that works everywhere to one that,..<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Was self cleaning</span></div></div> in just a matter of a few years. I'd have give most anything to know what "Ike" had to say about that FUBAR!

Still waiting on someone to respond to the safety tang question.

Somewhere in my cluttered & misplaced "Library" is a copy of the "Leatherneck Manual" circa 1960 . Lots of neat info for a teenager back then. Do they still have such a manual now ? That Safety Tang IIRC is covered in there.

While we are at it, anyone know the degree of pan and tilt in a M14e2/a-1 issued bi-pod, and why it's that way?

I don't know the specs but, dispersion for f/a fire or to walk it in would be my guess for the why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on , Ken ... Don't give them Excedrin Headache "762" !! </div></div>
Well you know me, If they are going to operate the bitch, they should know a little about the slut.
grin.gif

Besides I want to know, who I, can depend upon to cover the aiming stakes I am not. In my time, how to and when to apply immediate action, was only taught after you learned the weapon, as you know, having something never imply's, one can use it.
You know as well as any,... once you step off, you better hold up your end of the bargain,.... or,....
We'll leave the hows and whys of the safety bridge, for later
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While we are at it, anyone know the degree of pan and tilt in a M14e2/a-1 issued bi-pod, and why it's that way? </div></div>

I would guess it allows one to shoot the rifle on uneven or not level ground.

I cheated and looked up the safety switch hole because once it was asked, I had to know why its there.

Well you two have got 90% of the bi-pod right,
The pan angle is set for what was considered the firing angle, of the first engagement range*** with the pod loaded forward or to the rear (depending if it was a hasty fighting position or not) of sandbags, logs, rocks. ect.
The sloppiness of the device is in fact for dispersion. On a Mg you want it, plus a good gunner can over come it, if need be. The M14e2 gunner, (a requirement at school), was to put accurate F/A fire (on the 3rd, 3-4rd burst) on target at 700 yds w/o exceeding max dispersion.
The tilt is set to still allow a plum firing weapon with one leg retracted and the other completely extended on a hillside, with the pod deployed. Past that angle the F/A gunner will have issue staying on target, it was to be a warning that's all. This is M14 info, your tolerances may or may not stack on your run of the mill M1A, and your gear.
Most guys moved with the pod folded up but not locked, their hand between the pod an for-end. A quick jerk to the rear as you were transitioning into a ground firing position would deploy the pod to it's locked configuration. Then if need or/and you had the time you could add height if needed.

***Remember who the enemy was back then and where the fight was to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well you two have got 90% of the bi-pod right,
The pan angle is set for what was considered the firing angle, of the first engagement range*** with the pod loaded forward or to the rear (depending if it was a hasty fighting position or not) of sandbags, logs, rocks. ect.
The sloppiness of the device is in fact for dispersion. On a Mg you want it, plus a good gunner can over come it, if need be. The M14e2 gunner, (a requirement at school), was to put accurate F/A fire (on the 3rd, 3-4rd burst) on target at 700 yds w/o exceeding max dispersion.
The tilt is set to still allow a plum firing weapon with one leg retracted and the other completely extended on a hillside, with the pod deployed. Past that angle the F/A gunner will have issue staying on target, it was to be a warning that's all. This is M14 info, your tolerances may or may not stack on your run of the mill M1A, and your gear.
Most guys moved with the pod folded up but not locked, their hand between the pod an for-end. A quick jerk to the rear as you were transitioning into a ground firing position would deploy the pod to it's locked configuration. Then if need or/and you had the time you could add height if needed.

***Remember who the enemy was back then and where the fight was to be. </div></div>

Thanks for the info.
AEG-GGM14W.jpg

M14E-2/A1 as issued, notice it's in semi, as the tits down on the selector.

4_3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M14E-2/A1 as issued, notice it's in semi, as the tits down on the selector.

4_3.jpg
</div></div>

I realize a purist like yourself will probably crucify me for blasphemy but I like the new style...with out the grip on the rear of the stock. More graceful. The new stuff in the EBRs etc may have more utility but they just dont look right.

The grip is only used on e-2's aka A-1's. The first M14's were issued with a Fiberglass stock, that is very close to the one you posted. The reason for the E-1&2 which became the A-1 later is to control the weapon in full auto. Notice that the stock is straight line also. The bulk of issued were Walnut stocks like you posted, but trust me if you ever shoot a E-2 you won't go back to a std stock. The follow up shoots are so much faster, and cheek weld is much better. Ask anyone that is tall and was trained how their cheek was, after the first 100 rds they shot with the std stock.

I can see the advantage for the grip in full outo. Either way, if I had to make a fast exit its the one I would grab from the pile.

Wise move,... nothing like 147grs of 7.62, or a special, punching threw their barricade when playing, the adult version of tag.

Still waiting on the safety tang, hole?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still waiting on the safety tang, hole? </div></div>

Something to do with securing them in a rack?

Since it swings open, a cable through the trigger guard wouldn't do much good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still waiting on the safety tang, hole? </div></div>

Something to do with securing them in a rack?

Since it swings open, a cable through the trigger guard wouldn't do much good. </div></div>
Yes, the hole is for a rod that passes threw that hole while the trigger assy is in the fire mode. The rod secures to the weapons rack and locks the trigger guard tang as well. It (Tang) will not open unless the safety is on.

Just slows down trainees an garrison troops from doing something stupid.

How about the safety bridge?

The safety bridge prevents the firing pin from traveling forward until the bolt is rotated into battery. It is steel in the way of the rear hook on the firing pin with a notch for the hook to pass through when the bolt rotates into its locked position

Correct,... Now with that info, how do all of these, so called out of battery discharges happen?

I would guess high primers from reloaded rounds being struck by the bolt itself, or broken firing pin hooks combined with grime that sticks the pin forward, or a safety bridge that is worn away, or was never properly made.

Guesses of course. I have only had mine for a few years, but have read up some on possible issues

You got them all,...very good.
The more that know the how's and whys the better off as a group we will be.

If you guys still want to play/learn try these?
""Different" "AKA Lee" is not allowed to assist in answer, # 3.
(1) Explain the whys of the thumb and cheek when shooting a std issue (none E-2 or folding) stock.

(2) How is/was a/your BSZ arrived at?

(3) Try this one, again w/o "Different"!
Which mfg'ers in the US, and what other country built and fielded sanitized M14's and where? How could you tell the difference between them and what were the draw backs on either?

This is fun, and imo these three are much harder. I'm not going to look anything up (since looking up the safety hole spoiled that one for me)

1) I think you can put your cheek up to and on your thumb to get as close as you can to the iron sights for better accuracy.

2) Is this one where you set your zero at a desired distance i.e. 200 or 300 yards, and then determine at what distance the bullet first hits the bulls eye's vertical plane? somewhere around 50 or 75 yards?

3) The manufacturers I can name off the top of my head are:
TRW, H&R, Winchester, and SA. I don't know where any specifically were, but know that one on them in from Devine Texas. I don't know any foreign nations that made them, but I think one of the manufacturers sold all their building equipment to S Korea.

3) I don't know how to tell the difference besides the markings on the bolt and barrel, and maybe the op rod. I have no clue about the pros and cons of each, but NOS TRW parts are in the most demand.

There are Chinese made m14s but I don't know if they were made in the same time frame, or are from a more modern time. These receivers are softer, and wont accept a USGI bolt without modification.

NORINCO M14s also won't take American sight parts either ... unless you want to re-thread everything. Not all of the ChiCom 14s had "soft" receivers.

Ken, with all the changes of the UP modded 14s and the improvements of the AR10 platforms...Which would you choose to go with now if you had a choice ? Why ? heh heh heh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) I think you can put your cheek up to and on your thumb to get as close as you can to the iron sights for better accuracy. </div></div>
close but incorrect, It's called a spot/cheek weld, it brings your head to the same place on the stock every time. If when you first do this, your cheek is not hurting, your not doing it correctly. Later it will be a none issue, and most especially once you build mussel memory or when adrenalin kicks in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2) Is this one where you set your zero at a desired distance i.e. 200 or 300 yards, and then determine at what distance the bullet first hits the bulls eye's vertical plane? somewhere around 50 or 75 yards?</div></div> incorrect a BSZ is a setting on any m14 you pickup as a base number to set the rear sight to, with the elevation bottomed out and the wind-age lines ctr alined. My first BSZ was 18 an two, 18 clicks up and two to the left, as I have aged it is now 16 and two to the right(different weapon of course). This is a setting that gets you from 0 yds to 460 which was the old Max effective range for you average set of boots. You will either hold low for close targets ctr mass on at mid range, or high at 400+(note the M14 front sight was used for ranging, very good lesson to learn/KIM by the way)
On the std 25 meter zero target, once all rds were centered into the circle you would then and only then, reset your rear sight to the BSZ setting on the elevation knob, you would then "KIM" were the wind-age lines were. This was a starting point for any M14 you picked up until you properly zeroed that new to you weapon. Mine ran with in 2-3 numbers on up and 1-2 numbers on wind-age no matter what.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3) </div></div>

Long way to go on this one,