• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M1a trigger question

T-Hoe

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Marion, IL
I have a Springfield m1a loaded with a nm trigger. I was wondering what could be done to improve this trigger? Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Re: M1a trigger question

You'd have to have a competent gunsmith stone it to get a lighter pull.

I have thought of sending it to Bill Springfield and having it done, and have also read of changing springs. I just needed the advise of some of the Hide members. Is there any other suggestions of who to send it to?

Most good M14 smiths won't go under 4.5 pounds for safety reasons. If you want it cleaned up so it's smooth I'm sure they could accommodate you but don't plan on getting it much lighter.

Thanks for the info, but who would you send it to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toygunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trade it on an AR-10 platform with an American Gold trigger ...Haha... just kidding.</div></div>

no he's not "just kidding".......he's very smart!

If you can find a Springfield Armory Rader trigger they are excellent.

Thanks toygunner, I ask one question and you went and screwed it up.

Send the receiver to Dave Ferrante, and he will adjust the trigger to about 4 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info, but who would you send it to? </div></div>

Smith Enterprise
Ted Brown
Jon Wolff
Art Luppino
Tank's Rifle Shop

Some cost more than others but all do good work.

After seeing how Fulton Armory has handled issues with other people, as well as some personal experiences and observations, I can't recommend them for anything and in fact I'd say avoid them.

Thanks for the info guys, I will check those out.

I sent both my trigger packs to Bill Springfield to have work done on them. He got the pull weight to right at 5 pounds with no creep at all. I simply took the entire trigger group out of the rifle and sent it by Priority Mail. Bill did excellent work and had a seven to ten day turn around time. You can find his web site by searching his name.

I have the SAi Rader trigger found in the M25 white feather model. You'll never find anything like it or get anyone to set one as light as it will go.

Second best, because you'll never find a Rader, Smith ent. max pack trigger option. They have it down giving you a great feeling trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Springfield m1a loaded with a nm trigger.
I was wondering what could be done to improve this trigger? Any help or advise would be appreciated. </div></div>

SEI MAX-PAK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MIdway sells an M21 adjustable unit. </div></div>

That's the Rader M25 trigger. If you look you'll see the status as "Discontinued by Manufacturer" and none in stock... Only way to get one is to search online, wait for one to come up for sale and be ready to drop a fortune to get it.

I can not seem to find the trigger on midways site, but I found the trigger upgrade at sie. If I am reading it right it is $225.00 plus my trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not seem to find the trigger on midways site, but I found the trigger upgrade at sie. If I am reading it right it is $225.00 plus my trigger. </div></div>

Yeah, the Max-Pak is $225 and the Mid-Pak is $125. They do good work but I'm not sure it's $125 to $225 good work. I had them do a Mid-Pak on mine when it was cheaper and it did feel very nice. Later I had it Melonited (what M80HT is) for all of $10 and it feels great. Didn't cost me near what their Mid-Pak currently costs.

I think I have seen the m25 trigger on Brownells a few years ago,did not find it there today but it was $ 300.00 or so. So I guess it will take $ 225- $325 to improve what I have, or is there any there option?

Have it tuned by one of the smiths listed here (take your pick, they're all good), shouldn't cost more than $75 to have done, then get it Melonited. I can PM you the info for the guy I go through... (his stuff goes to the same place SEI's goes to). He can put the SEI pins in it as well if you want, then just get a Tubb CS hammer and op rod spring and you'll be set.